Sony DRU500AX & Recordnow DX - Won't test +R or +RW

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by swisstoni, Feb 27, 2003.

1. swisstoni

swisstoni Member

I have a Sony DRU 500AX (manufactured 20 January 2003)

It has a firmware Revision of 2.0c

I am using Veritas Recordnow DX 4.60 that came bundled . (For Information , I have also tried Stomp RecordNow Max 4.50 with PxEngine358)

I have brought different types of media so i can test for best compatibility(+R, +RW, -R)

From the software, I am trying to write an Image and I would like to use the option 'Test and if Ok, Record'

This works OK if I use the -R Media, it sucessfully does a test and then starts to Record.

If I keep the same image but replace the disc with a +R or +RW (The Sony one which came with the drive) the message ' The Recorder Drive does not suport the test function. Do you wish to continue?' appears, obviously if you choose no, it stops, if you choose yes it continues ... and if the 2 cases I did both discs failed with a 'sense error' .. hense the reason I'd like to test, so I'm not throwing any more discs away!

anyone know ...... Why does the drive support the test function for -R and not +R or +RW ???

Is this the case with the DRU500A as well? or is it just a bug with the AX

Any Ideas ???

2. Silverman

Silverman Member

I have a similar problem to yours:

- same recorder model, same software.

Te first time I tried to use RecordNowMax 4.6 and the DRU500AX, I used a That's Write DVD-R 2x for a dvd-movie backup from hard disk, but RecordNowMax responds with "bad disc" message.
    The detailed message said that the problem could be caused by fingerprints or scratches on the dvd surface. So I tried with 5-6 other That's Write, but all the same.
    So, with the DVD+RW in bundle!!! And nothing to do with quick erasing.
    The strange thing is that dvd media is recognised.
    Then I used Nero last version, and everything went ok.
    Then, reusing RecordNowMax, I could burn a That's Write, setting 1x speed, TAO Closed and UDF.

I don't know why I had so many problems even with Sony DVD+RW.
    Can you help me?

3. monodax

monodax Member

I have experienced similar symptoms using both my Sony DRU-500AX and Pioneer A05. It seems as nero is extremely stable and works completely, but Veritas RecordNow would give me problems burning disc. I assume it is just compatibility problems with the software and not the drive as it works with other packages.

4. lakeland

lakeland Member

I just started having problems with the Sony DRU500AX in regards to erasing or writing to a CDRW. It writes, etc to a DVD+RW,DVD-R and CD-R's just fine. However, when trying to erase a CDRW, it tells me it's "Illegal Media". (Using Nero or RecordNow). Does essentially the same thing while trying to burn. I have done a full erase using my other computer and it still will not burn to that type of media. It used to but not any more. Media is good on two other machines with same software. Running out of ideas to try. By the way, it does give all the info about the disc and it's properties(Nero). Help? Same hardware as swisstoni.

5. JIMS

JIMS Guest

i also have similar set up as swiss toni and have also been having problems with the Sony+RW DVD. Tried many configs but get the same error message after transcoding has completed succesfully..."Device Error" (sense code 6 29 00) and also the message (DVD Err, 403712)

Using in conjunction with bundled SonicMyDVD software.
    does anyone know what this might mean?

6. Silverman

Silverman Member

I discovered the problem was video_ts VOBs number check in RecordNow.
    For example, if you split a movie with IfoEdit, then distribute the various VOB files between the two so created disc images, if RecordNow CANNOT find consecutive VTS_xx_1 to existent VTS_xx_0, then ERROR is raised.
    Using DVDXCopy everything goes well because this software ALWAYS creates dummy VOB files even if they wouldn't need to exist (but I vreified sometimes stand-alone players don't play such discs).

7. Briareos

Briareos Member

I have the opposite problem, every other program aside Recordnow DX gives an error when trying to burn on whatever disc I use, at all speeds...anyone has succeded in upgrading the firmware? I always get an "mode6" error...