Sony DRX-500ULX and SONY DRU500AX

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Guz, May 16, 2003.

1. Guz

Guz Guest

Are these two drives the same thing? Which is better? I've found the 500AX cheaper than the 500ULX on circuit city.com but its internal and I need external.

Sorry if these questions may seem obvious, I'm a newbie and have just gotten interested in this. The Sony 500ULX seems to be very praised on this site and other sites.

2. Ryu69

Ryu69 Member

the ULX is external

3. Guz

Guz Guest

Yes, the ULX is external...so I guess no other differences between the two. I've ordered the ULX today so we'll see how it goes

4. jpmxp

jpmxp Member

I'm at the same crossroads. I want botht the candy and the jar. A friend of mine has the internal unit and is quite happy. I think he bought it on the pretense that internals are faster and the only kink he ran into was not enough ram. My system has an 80 G hd, 1G of ram. I like the externals primarily because of it portability and have been using a BackPack CDR burner to salvage friends computer data from virus ravaged systems before formatting and reloading. Problem...cd's don't hold enough with disk images costing you about 1 disk.gig. My hope is that DVDXCOPY will work as well on the portable drive as it seems to do on the EIDE drive! jp,

5. jpmxp

jpmxp Member

Did the 1st burn using the enclosed DVD+RW. Burn was successful and plays back fine in the computer DVD drive. However, when plunked into the Sony attached to the TV, "we" get great video and no sound. Short of this is all part of the learning curve, it may/may not be time to experiment. I guess I can try a DVD-R or a DVD+R to see what it likes to eat and see what happens. Plus I'll have to scroung up the documentation or download same off the web and see what it has to say. Any suggestions or thoughts on the topic?

6. Guz

Guz Guest

Well i've got the 500ULX now and I've burned a movie on a DVD-RW first, it works perfect, except on the PS2. Then a couple of days later I did another movie but this time burned it on a DVD-R and it does work on the PS2 and it turned out to be widescreen too. First one was fullscreen.

7. jpmxp

jpmxp Member

I'd have to say that I'm satisfied with my ULX. When I first got into CD-R burning, I didn't have too many problems until the warranty was just about up. I wasable to get it fixed under warranty and it's still alive and well on the SCSI side of my old machine. Lesson to be learned use the heck out of the product in it's early days and make or break it! DVDXCOPY Express does a really got job considering most burners are in that old 4X infancy stage. And I'm not sure if I read it in another forum, TechTV or Tom's Hardware, but it seems there are a lot of complaints w/Song and the PS2 not delivering as promised. But the what comes with playing with bleeding edge, I mean leading edge technology!!! Burn and learn!

8. connor21

connor21 Member

Hello guys.... i have a problem i already messed up 4 dvd+r i have dvdxcopy and i was trying to burn one of my movies (Sniper 2)But you all know that before dvdxcopy burn the movie to the dvd+r it has to Rip it to a Temp Directory... ok so when dvdxcopy is ripping the movie and it reach 30% or so... it stopped the ripping process it tells me please insert the blank dvd+r .... and it havent finished ripping the movie..... so when i insert the blank dvdr and is done burning... it doesnt play in the dvd player because it didnt finish ripping the whole movie..... can someone help me with the solution to fix this problem... by the way i have a Sony dru 500A... thanx

Last edited: May 26, 2003
  9. jpmxp

jpmxp Member

Comment in two parts! 1) ULX is doing just fine with no coasters yet. The system has an 80 gHd, 1G og memory and an Adaptec DuoConnect interface. Using a 4x MSI dvd reader, read time takes about an hour and burn takes 20 min. 2)Regarding the last thread, the recording of Sniper 2, it would help to know what you configuration arragement is as well as you OS. Have you emtied out your temp folder "manually" and/or changed it's allocation size? What kind of drive space do you have left according to properties?

10. connor21

connor21 Member

thanx for the reply.... well i have about 20 gig left yesterday night i splitted the drive C:\ into 2 portion drive C:\ and D:\.... i also formated my hard drive yesterday night and when i woke up this morning i tried and is doing the same thing... even with the formated hard drive... and i also change the directory to a new one and nothing... do you thing that the problem is my computer or the software dvdxcopy?

11. connor21

connor21 Member

how do you change the allocation size?... i forgot to mention that before when everything was workinbg smooth dvdxcopy used to take about 1 hour for the ripping.... and after this problem is happening it takes only 16 to 20 minutes... is taking less time but it doesnt rip the whole movie.... very strange

Last edited: May 26, 2003
  12. jpmxp

jpmxp Member

Since my last post I have found out that some of my burns don't play on all players. Safe to say +R and +RW will play in your entertainment center if it's capable of it. My oldest daughter has a 2 year old dual tray Toshiba that just gets an error on both. And because I seem to not be able to burn -RW and -R with some sort of problem I went to Sony's website to find of all things a DriveCheck file...it determined that the drive (new as it is) was on firmware level c.... and then I had to download a file called 500a_20f to update the firmware in the burner. Guess we'll see what that accomplishes. DVDXCOPY was initially seeing only the "c" revision. Well has to give it another test drive. As far as the temp file goes, it isn't the normal "temp" file your used to seeing. When you have Explorer open go to Options and make sure have ...show all files... that will guarantee you can see hidden files as well. The temp file directory actually winds up being in your documents and settings folder.

13. mikeis

mikeis Guest

I have just purchased DVD X COPY and can not make it work. Perhaps you can help me. My iLINK burner (sony DRX-500ULX) works with all my other programs and is properly installed in my XP machine but it is not even recognized as a drive by your software. What might I be doing wrong? Thanx!

14. jpmxp

jpmxp Member

I'm not 100% sure, but i-Link is just a variant on a theme, i.e. firewire! Having said that, the successful burns where done on the USB side of the burner with +R, and RW+. Oddly enough the ULX works on most systems that really don't have ver 2.0 USB ports (those that have 1 and 1.1) and 2 is a requirement. I also had to go out to Sony's site and download a firmware update to take the brand new out of box ULX and take it from rev.c to rev.f ...go figure! And I think that XCopy is looking for IDE/EIDE/USB2/and 1394 compliant device. And from the testing I did...depending on the complexity of the DVD, firewire worked, sometimes, and only on -R dvd's. I don't believe it was intended to be part of this game!

15. mikeis

mikeis Guest

Thanks for the heads up. Yes iLink is SONY's name for 1394 and is the same as firewire. I have burned successfully using Roxio, Pinnacle, and Sonic Foundry. I have not tried -R and I have not tried the USB side. I'll see what happens.

16. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

I was thinking about getting a Sony DRU500ULX external writer but I noticed it is being upgraded to 510 sometimes this month. Does anyone know if it would be worth the wait, or should I take the clearance price on the 500 and go with that??

17. jpmxp

jpmxp Member

Anybody's guess! I had the ULX and it did very well with a wide variety of +R and +RW (if your talking dvdxcopy) and only on the USB side of the equation. The rest of normal operations were satisfactory. I have since switched to the 510 and the verdict isn't in on that one. Xcopy is giving me some grief that I have yet to remedy. Good luck...this is bleeding edge technology and I think regardless of which box your talking about there is still media sensitivity that you can only adapt to by trial and error and buying lots of different media.

18. mikeis

mikeis Guest

I am very happy with my 500ULX. If the clearance price is a good one I would think about grabbing it.

19. xgasman

xgasman Member

For better help with DVDXCOPY goto www.dvdxcopy.com and click on the FORUM tab at the top. That's the official/unofficial support.