Sony DVD player makes weird sound

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by ecarlson, Jan 21, 2006.

1. ecarlson

ecarlson Member

Hello...both my parents and I have a Sony DVPNS50P/S and I've noticed it makes a very loud humming sound at times. It seems very intermittent and doesn't even need a DVD in it to make the noise. It's really no "problem" as it plays superbly and even plays all burned DVDs successfully so far...I just wanted to check if anyone else had this model or noticed the same sound. It's not a sign of impending doom is it? :)

2. Jallan

Jallan Regular member

Does it have a cooling fan? That might be it.

3. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I've had one of these little gems for 3 months now and have yet to hear any unusual noises from it, as a matter of fact it's the quietest unit of the 5 players that I have. It does not have a cooling fan.

4. ecarlson

ecarlson Member

Yeah I thought about the cooling fan idea to see if that seemed right, but on my parents' unit it started making the sound as soon as we turned it on...so I wouldn't have thought it needed to cool at that point anyway. It doesn't seem to do it all the time, but I was just a bit alarmed that it did it at all. I agree that it is a very solid player and is very quiet normally...just disturbed by the weird sound. :)

5. ecarlson

ecarlson Member

I have just noticed something about this recently. If I touch the top of the player or put my finger on the eject button it stops making the noise. When I let go, it starts buzzing again. This almost makes me think it's some electromagnetic issue but I wouldn't think there's anything unusual about my set-up. The dvd is on top of a small entertainment center by itself, the audio receiver & satellite receiver are stacked together on the bottom shelf. All three items are just to the side of the television (the component cables are barely long to reach as it is!). Does this recent info make any sense to anyone? Thanks so much!