sony trv22 + firewire= av/c sub unit message displayed?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by bimluvsya, Sep 16, 2005.

1. bimluvsya

bimluvsya Member

Hi,
    I have been browseing various posts for about 2 weeks now, ever since I tried to get the images I recorded on my Sony dcr trv22e,onto my laptop using the firewire port.
    I can use the usb port/wire with the software supplied with the camera, fine but the resolution is pants and on reading about the quality of firewire transfer,( not in the sony manual),I used that.
    The laptop acknowledges the device and then hits me with the av/c subunit blurb, the laptop then tries to search for a driver online, and gives up about a minute later, therefore I can't access my camera through ulead software or movie magic or anything else.
    I've tried (from various posts):
    Uninstalling direct x 9.0c and installing direct x 9
    trying to rename certain msdv files which I can't actually find on my machine anyway,as I have win sp1 and not sp2
    Installing some sp1 drivers in case I had sp2 drivers even though I had sp1 not sp2 on my machine?
    turning the machine on with the camera already attached and on.
    Rebooting with the camera off.
    Rebooting with my pants off.
    Rebooting with my pants on my head.
    etc etc.
    I can find no drivers( if that's whats need to get rid of that goddamn av/c sub message), many posts from peeps who still can't get it to work after weeks of trying, no help from sony and complete denial from microsoft of the existence of any conflict on their operating system.
    I'm not a particularly intelligent or technical guy, so if anybody has any ideas which could help, please let me know.
    In laymans terms, otherwise my next post will just ask for a dunbed down version.
    Hope all is good in your world.
    p.s if I've missed this topic in a recent thread please direct me there and pay no further attention to this particular post.
    ta

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Well, your problem is very peculiar and you should not have to do this, but you can try to install it manually:

Go to the device manager, right click on the AV/C subunit and tell the system to update the drivers. Don't let your system do it automatically and don't let it search the Internet; choose to select your own driver location. Browse to the folder C:\Windows\inf\ There it should find the file msdv.inf and use that to install the driver. (you may check if the files msdv.inf and msdv.pnf are in that folder).

3. bimluvsya

bimluvsya Member

I will give it a shot as soon as I get back to my machine, this evening.
    Thanks for the advice,
    I'll post as soon as I try it!

4. bimluvsya

bimluvsya Member

Hello again<
    I did as instructed previously , but my machine doesn't seem to have msdv.inf or msdv.pnf in my inf folder?
    I searched for hidden files etc and no can ,find.
    Why is my machine lacking in said files?
    More help needed, please..

5. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Well, they're supposed to be there... and if they aren't: that explains why you're having problems.
    Are there by any chance files called msdv.inf.1 or msdv.pnf.1 or something like that? If that is the case, remove these unwanted extensions.
    If you don't have them, PM me and I can send you these files (although I don't know if that works...)

6. bimluvsya

bimluvsya Member

there are no other files named msdv in the folder but I have got them on a machine in work so I'll try and paste them into the inf folder when I get in.
    Thanks for all the help so far, I will post this evening after I install those two files and hope for the best!

7. bimluvsya

bimluvsya Member

Well,well...
    it's working!!I pasted the 2 files you suggested and I can operate and record from my camera.
    Brilliant, thanks for all the help and I really appreciate the time taken to read and look into my post.
    You are a beauty!!

8. lcaruso

lcaruso Member

Hello all...i really need a help on this subject too.
    I am having the same problem "bimluvsya" had. The difference is, when a connect my Sony TRV 130 on my Pyro card, the device manager indicates that i have a new 61883 device...and that´s all. I can´t see the AV/C subunit. I checked, and i don´t have the msdv files. What do i have to fix first? Please, help me out with this one...

9. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

You should first check if your card itself is installed correctly. Check in the device manager if you see a device group called IEEE1394 Bus Host Controllers. What device is listed in that group?

10. lcaruso

lcaruso Member

I have " Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

11. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

12. lcaruso

lcaruso Member

Well...i did...and no success.

I have tried other things...now i can see the " Microsoft Camera..." under Image devices, but when i try to update the driver, the process stops and i can´t have the driver successfull installed. The movie maker can´t see the camera...therefore i can´t start to capture...do you have any tips on this?

13. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

You can see the camera and then you try to update the driver?
    I don't know what you are trying to do...

Just start all over.
    1. Disconnect the cam
    2. Remove the Firewire card from the Device Manager.
    3. Reboot (the new hardware wizard should start and the card should install itself without the need to do anything yourself)
    4. Run the patch
    5. Connect the camcorder

Try one of the freeware capture utilities from this free download page:
    http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/downloads/freedownloads.php