sound problem with wedding footage

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by dirtspad, Jul 15, 2006.

1. dirtspad

dirtspad Member

i've just put some dv footage from my wedding day onto my pc using imagemixer 1.7 through a usb cable. (i know this is not the prefered method but this is just a test.....quality can come later)
    image mixer was provided with the jvc camera i have borrowed. i know this software hasn't got a very good rep but it will do for now.
    i transfered the footage onto the pc but in little segments which i thought would be easier for editing later. i started to edit all the clips, adding music, titles etc and everything seemed fine.
    i got to about 3 quarters into my project and i noticed that every time i went into preview mode (this mode allows you to see what you have done so far with all fades, wipes, sound etc), the latter part of my project was having problems with the sound sync.
    the origional footage is fine as are all the mini clips i transfered for editing.
    i wasn't sure wether this was just a preview problem so i made a final mpeg-1 and watched it but the sound goes out of sync quite far into the video.
    do i have to do my project again???!!!!
    please not again!!!!
    as you can tell this is still very new to me
    i don't want to screw things up any more without asking for advice.
    so there you have it
    does anyone know what steps i could take to solve my dilemma??
    if so please reply
    your advice would allow me and my wife to watch us drink too much, sing badly and fade in and out in a stilton like style.
    thanks for your time ladies and gents.

cheers

dirt

2. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Editing these "mini clips" together can certainly cause sync problems. I suggest capturing it all at once and then editing down everything from this large video to get your final result.

3. dirtspad

dirtspad Member

thanks for the reply

i'll give that a go and see what the result fetches

cheers

dirt

4. dirtspad

dirtspad Member

it has been suggested to me that i convert my footage into .avi before i edit it. i am now going to use win movie maker.
    i am using win avi converter but every time i make a conversion the sound is right out of sync. i have tried to look at the advanced settings and alter them but it isn't working. i looked to see if i could change the audio but all the settings are dull. does this mean i can't alter them?
    there are that many settings i don't know where to start.
    all i want to do is make a straight copy of my origional clips.
    they are all fine....including the audio sync.
    then once converted into .avi files i will use win movie maker to edit my movie then put onto dvd.
    it has also been suggested that i convert the final edited movie back into .mpeg format as this was intended for distribution.

anyone have any thoughts, feelings or general suggestions on how i can get round this new dilema??

replies are most welcome.

cheers

dirt