sound questions

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Ruriko, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Ruriko

Ruriko Member

Could anyone answer these questions? they are related to Sound Editing

What is sound processing?
    What is 5.1?
    What is an EDL?
    Name three types of distorion
    What is the purpose of clapper board?
    What are three types of audio components that could be included in a soundtrack?

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

this sounds like a homework assignment to me......

Google should answer all your questions. But to justify my posting here, I'll answer 1. 5.1 is surround sound with 2 front speakers (left and right), 2 rear speakers (left and right), a center speaker and a subwoofer. Hence the term 5.1 ;)

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

LOL what is this, a test? this should be fun, considering I teach audio production.

1. sound processing would be some type of manipulation to the original audio file, either digital or analog. ex: adding compression, equalizing, pan, doppler, etc.

2. 5.1: a type of surround sound audio used frequently in home theatre setups. The "5" stands for the front left, center, front right, surround left, and surround right speakers, and the ".1" stands for the subwoofer. There are also newer surround formats such as 7.1.

3. EDL: edit decision list - primary method of transferring information about an edit project between editing systems. especially used for transferring Off-line decisions to the On-line assembly (linear to non-linear)

4. 3 types of distortion: there are many types. Refer to here (too long to type out):
    http://milbert.com/articles/SoundOfDistortion.html

5. purpose of clapper board (aka slate): to sync up audio and video when shooting with film (timecode is also used along with slate

6. three types of audio components included in a soundtrack: foley, SFX, music, ADR

4. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Thats a A+ Mr djscoop lol

5. djscoop

djscoop Active member

thats professor dj scoop to you j/k lol.

most of those were actually pretty good questions, this must be for some type of RTVF (radio/television/film) course