splitting Jade Empire onto 2 DVD5s

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by showan, May 6, 2005.

1. showan

showan Regular member

Hey everyone.

I read in here that someone said you could split Jade Empire into 2 DVD5s - one disc for the female characters and one for the male. At the end of this post the person stated that after splitting up the movies the ISO was 4.67GB which is still too big to fit on a DVD5. Has anyone successfully split this game onto 2 DVD5s? How did you do it?

2. punqewe

punqewe Active member

From xbox-scene

This will make it fit onto one disk

3. showan

showan Regular member

So you're saying that I must delete and rename these movie files IN CONJUCTION WITH splitting up the character movies right?? I will try it and see what happens. I'm still not sure if the size will be reduced enough to fit. Hopfully...

4. punqewe

punqewe Active member

this will let you have the whole game on [bold]ONE[/bold] disk

5. showan

showan Regular member

Man I don't know which copy of Jade Empire you have but I followe dyour procedure (I have the extracted ISO on my pc right now) and that attract.bik file is only about 32.4MB and the creditmovie.bik file is about 85MB. So after doing all the stuff that you mentioned I was only able to bring the ISO size down to 5.61GB. Originally it was 6.13GB

I'm not making this up I have the ISO right here so either you have a different version of this game or something is not right here! I'm positive I followed the procedure exactly how you wrote it. Mine is an NTSC copy of the original disc.

6. punqewe

punqewe Active member

I never said I had the game,I only quoted what I read on xbox-scene.com.

Also,are there video files in other languages? OR video files in other regions. If your country doesn't support PAL....take the PAL videos out.....etc. BAsicly the things that can be removed are

-videos in other regions or languages
    -demos
    -updatedash.xbe
    -update.xbe
    -there are others,but those should be the first things to look for.

You could also go somewhere where someone might have posted 'shrunk' versions of the video files that ARE in the game. OR you could read about ways to do so and do them yourself. There are alot of options.....I imagine you could seperate the game into two disks by eliminating the female videos from the disk to make the male disk. and take out the male videos to make the female disk. Could work,I can't see why it wouldn't. Just don't put in the female disk and start the male game,it might freeze.

More info here
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/index.php/t385081.html

7. showan

showan Regular member

I've been doing the research on this game ever since it came out. The only ways to copy this that I have seen are either use a DVD+R D/L disc which doesn't seem to work in my Thomson drive (I have yet to hear of someone who has got a D/L disc to work on the Thomson drive so I'm still waiting to hear that), or you can downsample the movies. Supposedly there is a kit to do this but I don't want to do that.

The guy who posted those instructions that you quoted obviously failed math in school or he didn't have the full ISO because after I removed the demos, the Italian and Spanish folders, and then renamed the files like he said, it still works out to be 5.61 GB or whatever. How he fit that onto a DVD5 I have no clue. Maybe they make different blank DVDs in Fairy Land I don't know.

The best theory so far is making 2 discs (one for certain characters and the other disc for the remaining characters). I haven't tried it because I still can't make the game fit onto 1 DVD5 even after splitting the movies. We'll see.

8. punqewe

punqewe Active member

yeah,it's frustrating.....we had the same thing with metal gear solid 2. Then we got the game splitter and everything was great. If I see anymore news I'll post.

9. punqewe

punqewe Active member

this was posted on that same forum

worth a try.