1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming DVD's to 360 Guide - 4 Steps Full DVD Quality!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by sthrncali, Jan 2, 2008.

1. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

I just tried this and it works great!! I renamed my VOB to mpg, not mpeg, and it works ... did you lose the ability to fast forward through media center when watching the movies? IMO, not a big deal, but its nice to be able to rewind sometimes. I tried all sorts of programs before, but not this and the movie is perfect - exactly how I'd want it to show up.

What you can do though, is the following. Install SlySoft Any-DVD and DVD decrypter. After a reboot, run DVD Decrypter, put it into IFO mode, go to setting/options and then go to the IFO tab, change the splitting to none.

When you go back to the main window, in IFO mode, go to streat processing and choose the audio you want with the movie - I did AC3 for Napolean Dynamite, and with the 1.5hr movie, it is a 5gb file, streaming perfectly over my wired network - with audio that sync's with the movie. So, after you choose the audio stream, click the CD --> HDD button in the bottom left and it'll rip it all as one VOB.

If anyone knows of software that will compress the movie file w/ AC3 audio, and preserve the wide screen format, with audio that correctly snycs, let me know ...

2. 330cic

330cic Member

I wonder if the problem is on my XBOX360. Is there a way to know if the Dec update has been applied? I can play my videos just fine from Win Media Center on other PCs, but not from XBOX :(

3. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

Well, the first problem is probably vista!! Why not try using DVD decrypter and save that VOB ... I'd assume that DVD Shrink is not compressing the files, but if it is, maybe thats the problem. how large was the VOB that was created from DVDShrink?

4. 330cic

330cic Member

2.6gb VOB (now MPG) file.

5. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

maybe its compressed somehow ... I did a 1.5hr movie, AC3 6-channel audio, it was 5.5+ gb. A similar length movie, AC3 Stereo (2 channel) audion, around 4.5gb. How long was the movie? If its around the same length, something is very different. Try using DVD decrypter - check the message above for general, quick instructions. Post back here if you have problems with it.

6. 330cic

330cic Member

Used DVD Decrypter - same result :(

The VOB/MPG plays fine on PC under media center and also with media player.

But, the XBOX doesn't like it. If I go into the media center on XBOX it just hangs. If I play on the XBOX by just going to the video folder then it says there is no video in the folder. Somehow the file isn't recognized by the XBOX.

Any way to tell if I have the latest+greatest updates on the XBOX?

7. momhoener

momhoener Regular member

I'm also trying this b/c I have alot of dvd folders. However when I try with XP in tverisity it tries to transcode it. It just won't let it play. Mabye it's Tversity

8. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

You can reset your xbox ... To perform the function, access ‘memory’ in the system blade, and then highlight the hard drive. Now press: Y, X, X, LB, RB, X, X. The following message should appear: “Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?”

If you initiate maintenance, the hard drive’s cache will be cleared.

This will also remove any patches for any games .. but you can re-download them - it will not remove any downloaded content as far as I know ... but maybe try that. You are renaming the files to MPG, right? And you do have your xbox connected to live, right?

9. 330cic

330cic Member

I will try reset as a last resort.

I did rename to .MPG

Connected to XBOX live - no, I will do that first.

10. sthrncali

sthrncali Member

2.6GB for the movie file sounds compressed to me.. Everyone I have done so far has been 4-5Gigs. Make sure you are manually selecting No Compress when you rip the movie.

Also regarding Tversity, it will always try to transcode the files. That's what it does.. If you don't want to transcode files then use Media Center Extender, or if you don't have Media Center Edition, I believe you can do the same thing with Zune.

11. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

i ripped Joe Dirt with 2ch AC3 and t was only around 2.8gb ... but all my others have been 4 - 5gb ... and Joe Dirt had zero compression ...

This is so cool - now I have about 20 movies using 92gb ... have to get a 500gb or larger drive soon!

12. sthrncali

sthrncali Member

A Large drive is def a must! But I think it is well worth it with the Quality level.

I can understand using Tversity or similiar to stream downloaded clips. But I never understood why someone would sacrifice all that quality to save a little hard drive space - HD are cheap nowadays. Heck you can pickup a good 500GB external for less than $150 from Tiger Direct....

And that will hold plenty of movies!!

:)

13. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

You can get a 750gb for $159 at newegg! I'm going to get one as soon as the $$ is in ... SO very worth it - the quality is perfect; it is even upscaled to 1080i through media center over Component cables - typically, with a normal DVD, it doesn't do much for upscaling unless you have the VGA cables.

Now, with only using around 165gb, I have a 30gb juke box, plus pictures, plus music, plus games ... beat that apple tv!!

Wide screen movies with full surround sound are absoutely perfect! I'm lovin' it!!!!

14. 330cic

330cic Member

I tried TVersity and when I select my video I get "Unplayable Content" error (status code 53-C00DF238) on the XBOX.

I will try reseting the XBOX now...

15. 330cic

330cic Member

Reset XBOX done - it just asked if I wanted to do maint on the device, I said yes. Then it went right back to the hard drive screen. I assume that its done.

Fired up XBOX again.

Went to my video and selected it. Screen went blank for a bit then popped up the unplayable msg again.

So either my source file (VOB renamed to WMV) is bad, or the codes are screwed up or something.

I can play the source MPG file just fine on the PC under windows media player.

I am doing all of this TVersiry stuff from a Windows XP box - not my Vista Home Prem machine.

16. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

It could just be the movies ... I've been testing the movies I have and have had issues with several of them. Paycheck, for instance, finished way too early, Underworld UNR & Evolution and Joe Dirt all just won't play unless I rip them with all audio tracks, and when I do that, they play the director's commentary for the audio! If I remove all other audio tracks, they won't play at all, although I can listen to the audio in the files (no video) through windows media player. Joe dirt seemed to work fine when I didn't combine the VOB's through DVD Decrypter, so I still need to play with it all and figure out how to do it right ... weiirrdd & annoying

17. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

I ran into a problem with "Zodiac". It's a 2+ hour movie. Ripped it with DVD Shrink and just renamed the vob to mpg. But Tversity was only showing 73 minutes. And when I started playing the movie it would skip scenes. Yet it played fine on my PC.

So I ran the vob through VOBTOMPG. Afterwards it played fine through Tversity. This is the only movie I've had a problem with so far. So I guess sometimes simply renaming the vob to mpg can cause problems.

VOBTOMPG is fairly quick. It took about 6 minutes to run.

18. sthrncali

sthrncali Member

You shouldn't be using Tversity with this though. Tversity is going to try and transcode the file into a different format... Renaming to MPG was to stream it with the windows built in functionality - not a third party tool like Tversity.

I am not Familiar with the tool VOB2MPG so I do not know what it is actually doing to the files..

19. tper88

tper88 Member

Guys,

I need your help again. I gave up on the external Hard Drive which I couldn't get anything to read. Last night I went ahead and downloaded Windows Media Player 11 with the hope of streaming an uncompressed .mpg movie file to my xbox 360. I was really excited to see what the quality would be BUT....(I know I must b very stupid for asking this) I couldn't get my laptop to see the xbox on my network. I have my network set up as follows: Linksys Wireless N-router wired to my xbox, and all the other computers connect wireless to the router. I tried all night to get my laptop to see the xbox but with NO LUCK. I even tried connecting my laptop directly to the router but NOTHING.... I disabled Zonealarm, I created another Home Network..... NOthing. &#($&@#&&$(*&$5 HELP!!

20. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

You can't stream videos directly thru the computer to the xbox unless you have media center ... possibly with something else, but don't know how tVersity or another will handle the files. If you have media center on a computer, go to www.xbox.com/pcsetup and install the files needed ... then on the xBOx, go to media center and it should just connect - its the xbox that needs to see your computer, not the computer seeing the xbox