1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming DVD's to 360 Guide - 4 Steps Full DVD Quality!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by sthrncali, Jan 2, 2008.

1. imsopasty

imsopasty Guest

Hey - nice reading in this thread.

I just plugged my 500GB external HDD (FAT32) into my xbox 360 USB port and it can play avi files now!

Prefer this way to streaming as using laptop and always have it in different locations. Now i just transfer any new movies onto the HDD and xbox can play them. Yummers

2. tper88

tper88 Member

Hey man,

I've been trying to do the same thing, but when I go to select the movie in the ext. HD it has a red X beside it..... I used DVD Shrink to rip a movie and it came out right under 4gb, I renamed to .mpg, .avi, .mp4 etc... The Xbox just wouldn't play it. Is there an update for the Xbox I'm missing?

3. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

the extension of the DVD doesn't matter ... the first thing is that the method shown above is for streaming DVD's from a media center computer - i'm not 100% sure if it works the same from a HDD - if it did for someone else, then it should. The second thing is that the method above, when using DVD Decrypter, isn't 100% reliable ... The 2 underworld moves, Joe Dirt and some others just wouldn't play when I removed some of the sound tracks - no explanation, they just wouldn't. Terminator 1 also is messed up. not sure why, its digital data that is read with DVD Decrypter, so if it works for one movie one way, it should work for the others. if it doesn't work, there's a problem with the RIP or some sort of protection is on the DVD preventing a smooth rip. I can get the 2 underworld movies to work if I just do a straight rip, but the audio track is the commentary, not the main audio! If I do stream processing and switch them, the movie will not play, if I don't rip the director's commentary and only use the main 6ch audio, the movie will not play! Paycheck worked great, up until it cut off the last 30 minutes of the movie! So, I don't know ... it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't ...

4. 330cic

330cic Member

5. tper88

tper88 Member

Ok Guys....

After a LONG last two days, this is where I'm at. I gave up on the external HD thing, I called XBOX Help and they had me do the firmware update through Xbox Live.... I tried the external HD again, The XBOX still had the red X beside Extinction and wouldn't play it, I also tried The Kingdom but nothing there either. Help said it was of copy right protection (Doesn't DVD Shrink get rid of all of that?)

On to Streaming,
    I downloaded Media Center 11 and couldn't get the thing to connect to my 360 over my network. I finally figured out that you had to open certain ports and also enable Universal Plug and PLay and also SSDP Discovery through the Services utility. Pain in the A&^ Linksys.... After a long night I finally got it functioning to where I could at least share some music and some LOST episodes.... The thing IS, I still can't play a single DVD. It won't even see the movie in the shared folder....... I tried both Extinction and The Kingdom, .avi, .mpeg, .wmv.... Nothing. I used DVD Shrink 3.2 to rip the movie with no compression, it plays fine on WMP 11. This think is killing me, is there something I can buy that will just rip with no quality loss and PLAY it.

Hey at least I'm seeing more results out of this than the economy right now.

6. 330cic

330cic Member

External harddrive needs to be FAT32. Unfortunately, most of the DVDs I've ripped are > 2GB and FAT32 doesn't support files that large :(. So I gave up on that approach.

If you are streaming from Vista, then you need http://transcode360.co.uk/files/folders/t360/entry675.aspx That was my problem. I ripped a DVD to single VOB file, renamed the VOB to MPG and it plays fine in WMP as well as in the XBOX via Media Center Extender.

7. tper88

tper88 Member

Do they have that for XP?

8. 330cic

330cic Member

I don't think its needed for XP...just for Vista.

Media sharing is on? Ports are open? Try turning off Windows Firewall and anti-virus for a quick test.

9. 330cic

330cic Member

Also the instructions at xbox.com/pcsetup

10. baaronp

baaronp Member

Thank you for the help.

I followed all of the steps. But it not working. The xbox does not see the file.

I use the window media player version 11 to connect to the xbox. Am I unable to send mgg files this way? do i have to have a media center pc?

11. baaronp

baaronp Member

ok, PLEASE help

I am useing window vista premium. I activated the media extender.

I followed all of the steps.

When I go to play the mpg file. the xbox tells me that it is ubale to play the file. To reboot.

The line to the uk site no long works. I do not know what to do. I just need it to PLEASE work

12. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

There is a solution for playing files on a harddrive connected to the xbox. The problem is that fat 32/ntsf formatted hds cannot play files larger than 4gigs. What you have to do is format the hd with "macdrive7.0" This software allows you to format the drive with (Hfs+)When you format the hd this way, you can play a video of any size even 4gig+ videos.

hd tutorial

As soon as i can save money I will buy myself a hd and use this method as of right now I am streaming with Orb and am having real trouble getting it to work.

13. baaronp

baaronp Member

I found my fix. I had to email microsoft and the sent me a hotfix file. Now it works like a dream. The quality is perfect

14. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

OK guys, I got my 500 gig hd yesterday and formatted it with the (HFS+)and connected it to the 360 via usb. The two wmv files that are 7gig + worked beautifully. I started ripping my dvds and then changed the .vob file to .mpg and when I connected it the 360 would not even see the files. I thinking that only media extender can recognize .mpg files. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Is there a conveter that can convert .vob files to wmv files without losing compression or converting .mpg files to wmv. I really want to start saving my dvds to my harddrive so any help is greatley appreciated.

15. db5304

db5304 Regular member

Great guide and responses to questions.
    I just have one quick question, can this be used for high def movies?
    I'm sure you could stream if without a problem, but will it maintain quality if you attached to a high def tv?
    And if so would this work with blue-ray along w/HD, since your streaming the file and your don't actually need a drive to read?

16. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

Certainly, the two wmv files I have are hd files. I belive the resolution is something like 1980x1080 and plays beautifully on my 65" hd tv. Now if only I can find out how to rip my sd dvds into uncompressed wmv files. I'll be set.

17. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

The good thing about ripping VOB's and renaming them is that the xBox will upscale them to full HD quality ... and you don't lose your surround sound. The things to over come are many in my opinion. You cannot fast forward on many of them, and I had about half of my DVD's have problem with ripping or problems with playing - they stopped early, missed/skipped sections and had alot of issues with playing properly. I don't care about the lack of fast forwarding as much as I'd rather have a full movie ... underworld Evolution wouldn't play at all, Paycheck and many others stopped early or were missing whole sections - overall, it was pretty messed up. I was using AnyDVD & DVDecrypter to get the VOB files as one single VOB. i'd rename that to mpg or whatever and usually had problems. The other issue I had was with Underworld Evolution and it would only rip the movie with the director's commentary sound track, no other.

If anyone has been able to over come these issues or knows of different software to use to rip FULL dvd's without problems, LET ME KNOW!!! Oh, BTW, I'm streaming them to the xBox through Media Center .. non vista ...

Thanks and keep this updated ... just remember, the focus is to rip full dvd's with full surround sound and no compression on the movie!!

18. db5304

db5304 Regular member

You should try giving dvdsrhink a try, i know it usually recompresses the file into an iso to fit the 4gb disk, but there are alot of other options for it too. I would check, but I don't currently have it installed on this computer. It is what i have always used to rip backups for my movies and it works great.

19. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

Ok, after using dvd shrink to get my uncompressed .vob file I used winavi to convert the .vob to .wmv which can be read by the 360. The only problem is that using the best quality settings, the program compressed a 3.89 gig .vob file to a 1.1 gig .wmv file so that means it compressed the movie which I don't want. I am running out of solutions here. My goal is still to convert an uncompressed .vob file to an uncompressed .wmv file.

20. DuffDub

DuffDub Member

Hi, this is a great thread, gotten lots of help from reading it. One problem i'm having is trying to connect a 500gb external HDD to the xbox 360. I have the drive structure NTFS but the xbox doesn't recognice that it's there! I have tried the same drive as FAT32 and it sees it fine and will play avi files from it. Does the 360 only support fat 32 or do i need a firmware update? Any help much appreciated! Thanks