1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming DVD's to 360 Guide - 4 Steps Full DVD Quality!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by sthrncali, Jan 2, 2008.

1. camj979

camj979 Member

ok..this isn't workin for me!! I'm running XP HOME edition. I know I can stream movies, music, and pics because I've been doing for a while now. I've always streamed .avi files from my CPU to my 360.
    Having problems with this though. When you say rename it to a .mpg file, do you mean just right click on the file, go to "rename" and add .mpg to the end of the file?? Is that all?? I've been doing that and the 360 won't recognize it. Also, when I look in the "properties" of the file, under "type of file", it still says its a VOB file. And, when I click the "change" button for which file to open it with, it says the files title is "Shootemup.mpg.vob", is that how it's supposed to look?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  2. DuffDub

DuffDub Member

If ur running xp you need to change the settings so that you can see the file extentions which are hidden by default.
    From memory i think this is the correct way to change the settings (running Vista on my current system). Under tool select folder options, view and there should be a box you tick to show file extentions for know file types. Now when you rename the file to .mpg it will change the file extention as well not just the name.

3. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

Camj ... what software did you use to rip the VOB files to your hdd?

4. camj979

camj979 Member

I used Shrink to make 1 large VOb file of the movie. When the streaming didn't work, I ran the DVD through DVD Decrypter and made 1 large VOB file. Both programs did their job, but the 360 wouldn't see the file after I changed it to .mpg.
    I think DuffDub is on to something with the file extension setting in XP, I'll try that and see if it helps.
    Thanks.

5. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

cool - just wanted to know what you're using ... have you had any issues with the movies not fully playing? If you see my prior posts, I had no issues with some movies and tons of issues with others ... if you have underworld evolution and try to rip it, let me know if you're stuck with the director's commentary for the audio track.

Regarding your problem, open a folder in windows, click "tools" at the top, "folder options", go to the second tab at the top, and scroll down, looking for the option about file extensions. Uncheck that box and click "ok". Now, go back to the VOB/MPG file you're having problems renaming. When you look at the file name, it should appear like: namexxx.vob.mpg ... just right click, rename, and remove the mpg - it should warn you about changing extensions and you should be done. If you don't uncheck the box about the file extensions in folder options you'll never get it to work correctly.

6. camj979

camj979 Member

Ok..cool..I'll try that. I not on my CPU right now but as soon I get home I'll give it a run. I'm thinking thats my problem cause every other type of file I make plays fine on the 360.
    Thanks for help BryanNH.

7. camj979

camj979 Member

You mean remove the .vob right, not the .mpg??

8. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

9. DuffDub

DuffDub Member

Has anyone had any issues connecting and Ext USB 500gb HDD to the 360. I've tried to different drives & they're not recognised. There formated to NTFS files structure? Do they have to be FAT32. If so will this limit the size of the files i can store on it? Was hope to backup all my DVD's to it.

The usb ports work ok as the 360 will see my Creative Vision M and play media from it.

Help Anyone PLEASE!

10. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

Dude, I connected a HD tutorial towards the beginning of this thread. You have to format your 500 gig HD with a program called "macdrive 7.0" once you format it with this software, you can load your movies of any size and it will play nicely on the 360. It only plays avi, wmv, and divx of any size. I haven't been able to play any .mpg or .mp4 files successfully yet using my 500 gig hd.

11. DuffDub

DuffDub Member

Thanks for the reply.

I have heard that this software can lock you out of the drive after a few months & you have to format & start all over again! Have you experienced an problems?

12. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

I haven't heard that but if you use the trial version only then it will lock you out once you trial expires. Basically you are formatting your hd to a mac volume and the software lets the windows and the mac harddives communicate with each other. Its well worth the expense. And its so cool to be able to watch and change movies at will on your xbox.

Now if only I can figure out how to convert .vob files to wmv files withougt losing compression, I would be able to add my fav dvds to my hd.

13. twal1011

twal1011 Member

This is an excellent thread! Lots of good information here.

I'm running MCE on my PC along with extender. Both the PC and XBOX are hard wired and there's only maybe 40' of wire in total between the two units. I successfully joined all of the vob's from a DVD into one single unit, changed the file extension (both mpg and mpeg work), did the cool cover pic thing (thanks, strncali!), and placed the files in a folder folder on the root of my (external) drive.

The folder and the vid both show up just fine under Video in Media Center on the 360. The problem I'm running into is that when the movie starts to play, I'm only seeing maybe 1 of every 60-100 frames. The video is horribly choppy but the sound is working just fine. Just to make sure it wasn't related to the external drive, I moved the folder to an internal drive with the same result. I'm going to try a different movie tonight. I suspect that the playback issues that some are experiencing are related to particular movies. I may have just unluckily picked one such movie for my first attempt.

14. camj979

camj979 Member

Well, I unchecked the file extension feature and now it does change it from a vob to a mpg. Even the icon of the file changes when I do it. So i go back to the 360, go to videos, the folder is now there, but when I select it, its empty and I get the Xbox message that there are no movies in my folder. (They do show up in WMP 11 though)
    From being able to stream avi and wmv files in the past, I'm thinking that changing vob to mpg will only work if you have Windows Vista or XP Media Edition, and since I'm running XP Home, I don't think I'm gonna get it to work.
    If anyone is running XP Home and it's working for them, please tell how you did it.

15. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

I think our best bet for us xp users is to somehow convert the .vob files into .wmv files. The trick is to conver without compression or quality loss.

16. camj979

camj979 Member

well I think if you have XP Media Edition you should be ok...it's if you have Home edition that this procedure won't work.

17. twal1011

twal1011 Member

I agree. The only way I would know how to do that is through Movie Maker but it's not digging on trying to convert the MPEG.

18. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

This will only work if you stream through xp media center or the vista equivalent. Media Ctr decodes the vob on the xbox ...

19. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

You don't convert the VOB to mpg - you just rename the file to mpg after you rip the VOB - but if you read my earlier posts, I've had alot of problems ripping dvd's to a single or multiple vob's ... has anyone else had issues with some movies and not with others? I'd say that 50% of the movies I tries worked perfectly ... THey would tsart fine, but cut out the different parts of the movie in the middle of playing, some would rip with the wrong audio track (I know I was doing it right ... ) Alot of weird playback problems after correctly ripping the VOB files

20. DuffDub

DuffDub Member

Algtz1 thanks for the help.

Sorry to Keep bothering you!

I Bit the bullet & bought the Mac 7 software. It installed fine, followed the instructions in your guide. All seemed fine for a while and copied a few films (.avi format) to the drive but when i try to copy more stuff to the drive now it restarts the computer! Have u experienced any problem? I'm running vista on a Sony Vaio laptop & the ext HDD is brand new. Things copy to it fine when it NTFC any Ideas? (i have tried reinstalling the Software & reformating the drive, Still the same)