1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming DVD's to 360 Guide - 4 Steps Full DVD Quality!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by sthrncali, Jan 2, 2008.

1. j1ngl3boy

j1ngl3boy Member

My safe, no hassle, never had a problem, method for:
    ---Playing DVD's from Vista Home Premium Using Mpeg Method
    1) Rip DVD in file mode (Movie Only) using DVD Fab
    2) Open in DVD Shrink, Preferences set at 8.5g, remove all unwanted audio and subs if necessary, let it copy movie to hard drive (make sure it is the c: drive or whatever your system drive is.. i use the desktop as that is simplest)
    3) Open command prompt:
    cd "file location"
    4) type the following to merge the seperate vobs together:
    copy /b "vts1_1.vob"+"vts1_2.vob"+etc. "newfilename.vob"
    press enter and it will merge the vob's together in that folder
    5) rename .vob to .mpg

Never had a problem with this method, although I switched to using WMV's so I could save space with little loss of quality.

2. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

Hey brother, try contacting their support page. They are really good at returning your emails and answering any problems or concerns you may have. I'm running XP and haven't had any problems. I have connected by external to my pc about 8 times already and each time I have been able to see the MAC Disc and have been able to add to the external with no problems so I'm guessing your issue may be Vista related:

Support

3. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

great! I'll try this when I get a chance ...

4. twal1011

twal1011 Member

I found success last night. Some kind of 3rd party codec on my PC was causing the playback problem. I uninstalled it and now it all works perfect.

FWIW, I use Shrink to rip a single VOB. I only rip the main movie and a select only audio track with no subpicture at all. This seems to be working 100% of the time, so far.

5. GeorgR

GeorgR Member

you (OP) obviously doesnt have ANY clue what "streaming to XBOX 360" means.

You call your article "how to stream DVDs to Xbox 360"....and in the article then you actually rip and encode the DVD into any format and play this on the 360. Big deal.

I can rip and convert ANYTHING using an array of tools, convert into MP4 for 360..and then stream it or make it available to the XB in another way.

Just that this hasnt ANYTHING to do with "streaming a DVD to the Xbox".

You should call your guide "how to rip and convert a DVD into a movie format and then play it on the XBOX"

6. duh

duh Member

please help, I have been trying to get dvd quality streaming for a month, here is my scenario

- windows vista home
    - hfs+ format external hardrive
    - I have reset the 360 according to this thread
    - the computer is wired, the 360 is wirelessly connected (have tried wired also)
    - I can stream mp4 video, and music no problem
    - I have renamed the vob. file mpg., it plays back fine on the computer
    - the mpg. file shows up in the media center
    - when mpg. file selected it says cannot play try restarting 360 or computer
    - I have tried renaming the vob. to mp4, avi, xvid, wmv,and they all appear but will not play,
    - I have tried directly connecting my external harddrive, files are present but will not play

so I have tried everything listed in this thread I think. any ideas or something I am missing, thanks

7. GeorgR

GeorgR Member

"renaming" them doesnt make them a new format :)

.VOB is actually .MPG....so this was ok. But you cant just rename an MPG/VOB to whatever and then expect the Xbox to play it.

You have to actually encode/transcode from one format to another, use a tool like handbreak, fairuse wizard, staxrip...or videora....or for changing a .MKV to .MP4 i recommend "XenonMKV".

8. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

I'd have to disagree ... once you rip your DVD as a single file, you can then rename it to MPG and the xbox WILL play it through media center. Different DVD's seem to present different challenges, such as what audio track is used, and I've had alot that skip and play strangely, but it WILL play a renamed ripped DVD through media center for sure. Done it myself, so have the other people in this thread

9. duh

duh Member

well I know how to actually change the format, but I thought the point was dvd quality, I read something about a 3rd party codec. does anybody know how to recognize, or make sure that you are set up correctly. thanks

10. duh

duh Member

also does anybody have a idea why the movies won't play when the hardrive is connected directly to the 360

11. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

You don't have to encode/transcode the ripped dvd files when using media center - you just rip and rename and you have DVD quality, uncompressed from the disc.

If you want to play from the HDD you will have to encode, but I don't know details - do a search on the web, you'll find it. If you have addess to Windows or better yet vista media center then its MUCH easier. But any other option will require that you do something to the ripped files in order to play them on the xbox, so no dvd quality.

12. baaronp

baaronp Member

I do this all the Time and 99% of the time is works just perfect. Just rip the DVD. Make sure to make it 1 vob file. Then just remame it to .mpg

That is IT. The quality is perpeft. The key is you have to send it via the windows media center extender. That is othe only way to play the mpg files.

I use vista and it did not work. I had to download a hot fix form microsoft. Then it worked. You have to request the file from them.

This is cut from the email from microsoft. you can ask them for this fix. They then email it to you. KB Article Number(s): 933049

13. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

What software do you use to rip the dvd to 1 vob? What settings as well? I've done this, but had alot of random issues with various DVD's ... with Underworld: Evolution, for instance, no matter how I ripped it with dvd decrypter it would always use the dirctor's commentary audio, nothing else no matter how I did it. On other DVD's, it would sometimes skip around. The other major problem I had was that on most of them, i cannot fast forward. Do you ever have any of these issues?

14. mactavish

mactavish Member

for those who don't have media center, but have win xp and want to stream using windows media player 11 you may want to try this.

rip DVD, merge the vob files of the main movie into one vob file and use AutoGK ver 4.5 to convert the vob to avi. No need for renaming the .vob to .mpg anymore because you will use autogk to convert the vob into avi

With autogk you can convert the DVD to xvid avi file with the dolby digital 5.1 track (or dts).

heres the guide on how to use autogk. i didn't install any codecs or k-lite pack and my video still converted successfully.

I just converted a DVD. the file size converted to 1.36 GB, i streamed it to the xbox 360 using windows media player 11 and the movie played with the dolby digital audio track.

You will also be able to fast forward, rewind, skip scenes.

15. mactavish

mactavish Member

I have been streaming avi movie files to my xbox 360 but only get stereo. the xbox 360 can stream avi files with 5.1 audio but it depends on how the movie is converted. I found this free program called Autogk that can convert DVD's (retail or not) into xvid avi with the 5.1 audio.

heres a 1 minute sample video with 5.1 audio (download here 13mb) you can try streaming to your xbox 360 using windows media player 11 (make sure library sharing is enabled in settings and xbox 360 is set to allowed)

You have to rip DVD, Convert the DVD to avi, and finally stream video to xbox 360.

Ripping DVD

first you have to rip DVD main movie files to your PC's HDD with DVD decrypter (download here). ripping the DVD's main movie files will give you vob files and an IFO file in a Video_TS folder

1. install then run dvd decrypter, insert dvd in PC drive, press the 'I' key (this will bring you to IFO mode). it will look like this:

[​IMG]

2. in the pic above you will see a box with cells that are checked. in this pic there are 7 cells. the first 6 cells are 0.15 seconds. the last cell is 4 min. uncheck all the cells that are 0.15 sec. anything lower than a 1 second should be unchecked (this solves the audio out of sync problems).

3. choose your destination or remember the destination folder

4. also change the settings by clicking on tools-->settings-->IFO mode tab and make sure file splitting is set to NONE, check 'include PGC number' and check 'include ANGLE number'

[​IMG]

5. Now start the DVD rip by clicking on the DECRYPT button (the dvd and HDD with a green play icon between them). this will take 15-20 minutes. a VTS****.IFO, VTS****.vob and VTS****.txt file will be created in the destination folder.

Converting the DVD

uisng AutoGK ver 2.45 (download here) , convert the vob file into avi. (note: there is no need to install K-lite mega pack or any other codecs like the download link says. my videos converted successfully without the mega pack, autogk installs its own needed codecs)

1. uninstall all codec packs, xvid codecs, divx codecs before you install autogk

2. install and start autogk

step 1 - For Input File, provide the path to the destination folder of the DVD ripped previously, choose the VTS****.IFO file. Now choose the Output File, you can choose the default folder or choose another folder, type the name of the movie and click save.
    step 2 - The Audio track dialog box should have the AC3 6ch audio track checked. There may be other tracks for commentary or other languages. Be sure you checked the AC3 stream with language you want. (ac3 6ch is 5.1 audio, ac3 2ch is stereo)

step 3 - Selecting Output size
    For streaming to the xbox 360 you want one file. So use the custom size option. set the value to 1953
    note: make sure converted file does not exceed 2 gb (so 1953 should be the max value)

step 4 - click the Advanced settings
    choose fixed width, set to 720 (the DVD resolution is 720 x 480)
    for the output audio type choose Original (AC3/DTS/MPA only) for the 5.1 audio track.
    codec set to xvid
    press ctrl-F11 (hidden advanced audio options), click enable advanced audio options, tick original for all

before step 5 you can press PREVIEW to see if there are any audio sync problems. this takes 5-10 minutes to see what the conversion will look like instead of waiting 2-3 hours for the actual conversion. I always press PREVIEW first to check for sync problems or subtitle problems.

step 5 - click add job, click start. in 2-3 hours avi with 5.1 sound will be ready

Streaming your avi files to xbxox 360 using windows media player 11

make sure you have windows media player 11 installed,

1. configure sharing ( click on tools -> options -> library -> configure sharing -> share my media to -> xbox 360 (console should be on for detection) set to allowed)

2. move your new avi file to My videos folder. Video should be automatically added to you library

3. turn on xbox 360. in the dashboard go to media blade -> video. press x button to change video source. choose your computer. open my videos folder. play your avi file with 5.1 audio

If you notice the audio is not as loud as the original, which is what I was experienced with my conversions at first, use ac3filter 1.46 (download here).

1. install and start ac3filter config.

2. change the following
    MAIN tab -
    OUtput format: AS IS(No change), PCM 16 bit
    MIXER tab -
    uncheck everything except BASS REDIRECTION, cutoff frequency set to 120
    mixing matrix should look like this in the pic below:

[​IMG]

3. go back to main tab, in the preset type 'dvd rip' and click save. click apply. close ac3 filter.

The next time you convert your next DVD to avi, the audio of the avi will sound as loud as DVD.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  16. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Try Handbreak. It'll rip straight from an .iso. And it uses the h.264 encoder and has an Xbox 360 setting. You'll get a .mp4 with beautiful quality.

I was a little leary at first because a ~4 gig movie ended up a little under 2 when it was done. But I was very impressed when I played it back.

I was actually going to build a htpc just for the purpose of storing my movies on, but now I'm just converting all my discs with Handbreak and storing them on my pc, and just stream to my 360 when I want to watch a movie.

I got 500+ movies on disc and only converted about 180 so far... so I still got a lot of work ahead of me.

I was just going to post a pic of it, but it looks like Photobucket has been hacked by netdevilz.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  17. mactavish

mactavish Member

h.264 only streams 2 channel audio to the xbox 360.

avi streams 6 channel audio.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  18. duh

duh Member

hey mactavish, what is the quality like for the program you use, because I have used avs video converter to convert to mp4,and avi,I have also tried xvid and stream using zune or tversity, and although the quality is not bad, it is far from dvd, especially in dark scenes. Couple that with how long it takes to convert (5-8 hrs)and audio playback timing problems so don't want to use it. let me know how quickly it converts and how well the finished product comes out. thanks

19. mactavish

mactavish Member

the quality is DVD quality and the audio is 6 channels. it streams without any skipping. you can use forward and reverse. Use 4598 for the custom size value for uncompressed audio. The file sizes of the converted avi are always less than 2.5 gb

i'm using v 2.45 the stable version...remove any codec or codec packs you have before you install. i read on forums that you could get problems if you install over previous installed codecs or packs.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  20. mactavish

mactavish Member

oh and you will like how these files convert --- takes 2 hrs

you won't have to use tversity or zune anymore...with windows media player 11 (library sharing enabled) just move your new avi into my videos and it will show up in th media tab->video->my videos in the xbx 360 dashboard

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008