1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming DVD's to 360 Guide - 4 Steps Full DVD Quality!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by sthrncali, Jan 2, 2008.

1. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Video Redo does work with XP, but it's for editing, not streaming like TVersity.

I tried xvid4psp last night: http://forum.videohelp.com/topic352374.html

It's free and you can see the results. Using the standard settings it took over 6 hour, though. With Handbreak, I can do 4 movies in about 11 hours. So I'm going to adjust the settings and see what I can get.
    [​IMG]

The problem I have is that I'm XP, but not running MCE. So I use TVersity to stream. Sure, it'll play .mpg and .avi... but it has to transcode on the fly. With .mp4, it doesn't. If I just let my pc sit idle while TVersity transcodes, no problem. But more often than not, I have it running other programs. And if it tries to do too much, then I run in to buffering issues while trying to watch the movie.

2. mactavish

mactavish Member

bhetrick...does tversity stream the 6 channels audio? if you get the conversion time shortened, please post how. thx

3. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

It'll stream it, but the 360 gives the unsupported error. I went through some different forums and came back with the same answer... you still have to select 2 channel with xvid4psp.

I was actually calling around town looking for used PS3s when your post alert popped up in my email. Messing around with a bunch of different programs is getting to be a pain.

It's between a PS3 or that Popcorn Hour. I can get the PH for $100~$150 cheaper.

Money isn't an issue. I'm just leary about getting a PS3, new or used, because with the 360 price cut I'm sure Sony will be doing something soon.

So I just have to make up my mind.

4. mactavish

mactavish Member

too bad its 2 channel. whats popcorn hour?

for now i like the video quality autogk is giving and it gives me the 6 channels...i'm thinking about the ps3 too and your right about the price drop to wait.

update: i just read about popcorn hour...thats a great HD device and best of all no need for conversions.

update 2: bhetrick i think popcorn hour will be a better choice than PS3 if you want to avoid converting files. I stumbled upon this forum post about stremaing to the PS3 (click here) and the PS3 also requires some converting software as well.

popcorn hour sure sounds good. thanks for bringing it up.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  5. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Yea... since my last post, I did call around and I found a used PS3 at a local game store. I said "piss on it" and left to go get it. About a mile down the road I said the same thing again and turned around and came home.

The only thing I'd do with the PS3 would be stream movies. Yea, it supports more than the 360, but I might as well just get that PH. It's cheaper and I don't have to do any streaming. I have a 1tb drive in my pc now just for movies, so I can take it out and put it in the PH.

6. mactavish

mactavish Member

yup that popcorn hour is an amazing device for the price...and it supposedly can do peer 2 peer downloads. I wish consoles would just follow what this popcorn device is doing and support the video formats fully without any limitations. Let's hope the xbox 360's big update has this feature included

7. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Yes, it does support p2p dls. I just ordered 2 of them. And they were still cheaper than 1 PS3.

8. mactavish

mactavish Member

9. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

Sorry I couldn't log on yesterday. For changing the default stream on video redo tvsuite all you have to do is press "ctrl + shift + the (options on the tool menu bar) Then a list of manual settings wil appear. Go down to about the 10th or so row and it will say "AC3 default" (or something like that) the value will say zero. All you have to do is change it to 128 (128 is the hexadecimal value for X.80) Now all your streams will b 5.1 as long as you rip the 5.1 sream on the .vob file.

I have been checking out the popcorn for the last 3 months. The only downfall I see is that the interface is really generic. I truly love how media center looks in conjunction with the "my movies program" My kids are able to navigate through it easily. I am going to buy a popcorn for my bedroom since a generic GUI is not a big deal for the bedroom since I'll be the only one using it. I am just waiting for USB wireless connectivity for the popcorn hour which is stated to be available in the next model/firmware.

10. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Great. Found it. "Manual Parameter Settings", line 18, "Default AC3 Output Stream". Changed "0" to "128". I'll post results later.

I ordered 2 of those PHs. I've read about the generic interface. But I'm not using MCE, so I've really nothing to compare it to. And honestly, I don't mind. As long as it'll do what I want it to.

11. CrisKahn2

CrisKahn2 Regular member

I use my PS3 and wmp11 for streaming... I just download Blueray movies and convert them from mkv to vob and the quality doesnt decrease at all... plays great.

I have T2 judgement day in 1080p and the it streams to the 360 but plays really choppy but it streams perfect on the PS3...wonder why that is.

anyways at first I was bummed out cuz I dont have WMC on my XP but then found out you could use wmp11. But then I read somewhere that you can share any file without using WMP11 or WMC. Just right click a file and under properties you can select to share that file over a network. Is this true? I have tried with no success.

12. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

I've read also that you could just use wmp11 on xp with out media center. But I've had no luck with it. The 360 won't detect the pc.

13. CrisKahn2

CrisKahn2 Regular member

yea thats exactly what Im doing...using wmp11 without the media center. Its actually easy. I followed direction given on xbox.com.

14. mactavish

mactavish Member

In wmp 11, go to tools--> options--> library tab-->click configure sharing, enable sharing and set xbox 360 to allow (make sure xbox 360 is ON)

15. mactavish

mactavish Member

Hi cris, could you explain how you got VOB files to stream to the xbox 360 via wmp 11? Because my xbox 360 can't detect the VOB in the video dashboard. and xbox.com says wmp 11 only supports avi, mp4, h.264, wmv.

16. CrisKahn2

CrisKahn2 Regular member

Sorry I misled you guys. I forgot I converted it to avi. I was mainly talking about streaming the T2 vob to the PS3.

but I though you can rename the vob file and it would stream to the 360...

17. mactavish

mactavish Member

you can rename the vob to mpg but only using windows media center or vista.

That is a nice feature of the PS3, you can stream vobs...do you get the 5.1 audio also? I read in a forum that the PS3 has trouble with 5.1 audio and vobs need to be converted.

I only have an xbox 360 so for now i just use autogk. I am waiting for popcorn hour to be available.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  18. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

Hey mac. Ive been converting some of my DVDs using autogk to custom output 1953 but notice that the whole process takes about 4 hrs. aprox 2 hours for the first pass and 2 hours for the second. Any reason why this may be happening? I read that your pc only takes 2 hours. Do you think its pc related? I am converting using a pc with xp, 2 gig processor and 1 gig ram.

19. mactavish

mactavish Member

alg...i'm trying to convert a movie right now. I remember when i converted using custom size 1399, and output resolution fixed width:720 usually the conversion will take around 2 hours.

i'll post l8r how long.

is your 2 ghz cpu core duo too?

update: i converted transformers DVD, using custom size=1953, and output resolution set to fixed width=848. total time: 3 hrs 19 min 20 sec.

update 2: i converted transformers DVD, using custom size=1953, and output resolution set to fixed width=720. total time: 2 hrs 49 min 50 sec.

alg i just realized i was wrong in using fixed width=848. it should be fixed width=720. because the original width of the DVD is 720. I don't know why VLC player takes screenshots of DVD that have a width of 853. just use 720. i will re edit the guide i posted.

i converted the DVD of journey to the center of the earth(TV) an it just took 2 hours 15min. I guess it depends on the DVD...maybe due to how many colors, sounds, etc. is what effects how long the conversion takes.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  20. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Well, I received my NMT Popcorn Hour and have been playing around with it. I placed my order on July 2nd for 2 or them (there is a waiting list) and I received both on July 16th. A two week wait... that wasn't too bad.

It streams everything perfectly. The PH puts the 360 to shame. It's well worth the $179 + shipping.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008