1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming DVD's to 360 Guide - 4 Steps Full DVD Quality!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by sthrncali, Jan 2, 2008.

1. CF01

CF01 Regular member

Thanks man ive been wondering how to do this

2. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

Hi bhetrick, have you been able to get .VOB or ISO files to play. I've done some reading and heard that you have to use linux protocols and linux networking via nsf. Was this hard to do? I'm shying away for this very reason. But I am starting to get impatient with the 360 updates and not being able to play isos. I would love to hear about your experiences with this. I am almost willing to give up the astheticly pleasing VMC & My Movies dvd librarty look for the ability to play dvds with full menu.

3. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Do you mean have any luck playing iso/vob through the 360, or the Popcorn Hour?

4. mactavish

mactavish Member

I believe alg is asking about the popcorn hour. yes i would like to know also if the popcorn hour can play ISOs too. I cant wait to get my hands on a popcorn hour.

5. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Yea... it's a long thread and hasn't been posted in awhile. I wasn't sure if alg just jumped in or has been following. And I was lazy by not looking back.

I listed the second Popcorn Hour in the selling forum. Just thought I'd mention that ;)

When I rip my movies to the pc, I rip the movie only. I want to compress the least amount of data. Tonight I'll rip an entire disc to the pc, menus and all, and I'll see if an .iso works and a .vob w/menus.

6. baaronp

baaronp Member

PLASE let me know how it works. I am very interested if the popcorn hour can get the video_ts.ifo from the riped DVD. I want to see if you can rip a DVD of a TV show, and keep all the menues for each episode.

There are some really good links on this page about the popcorn hour, and using movie collector to make really nice visual menues. Here is a youtube link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHahN-an1jE

I have ordered my popcorn hour. But am still waiting.

7. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

I didn't know that about Movie Collector... I'll check out that link. I've been using MC for a couple of years now.

It took 2 weeks to get my PH. I ordered on the 2nd. On the 7th, Google Checkout showed that my credit card was charged. On the PH site, they say that the card won't be charged until a few days before shipping it. So I figured great, it's coming soon. I kept checking and checking and the checkout never showed them as being shipped. When they actually showed up on my porch on the 16th, the checkout was still showing them as not shipped.

On the 18th, I got an email saying they've been shipped :/

8. baaronp

baaronp Member

any luck getting the popcorn hour to play an entire DVD?

9. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

I've been following the popcorn hour forum for several months now. They seem to be the best/versatile player out today that can handle all types of viddy formats. They are also very tempermental and not for the faint in heart and or noob. This is why I am eager to hear anybody's experience with their pch. I am so tempeted to get one but I have spent so many man-hours converting my entire library to avi & mpg format and cataloging them using "my movies" Still, it may be worth it to be able to view full DVDS/w menus using the pch.

10. baaronp

baaronp Member

Ok, my popcorn hour came today. And now I need some help.

You said that you play ifo files form riped DVDs. What are you using as a server? I have my files stored on a external hard drive. This drive is attached to my Vista computer.

If I let the popcorn hour attach to my windows media player. I can get into my computer, but the Video_TS folders do not show up. I believe this is becasue the media play dosnt play them to start off with. I need to link it to my comptuer my some other method. When I disabhe the windows media player extender. I can see my computer BUT is is unauthorized.

I was hoping to learn from your experience. Any help would help A LOT!

11. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

From what I've read you have to use SMB or NFS which are linux based servers protocols so you can use your external harddrive as a share You may want to check out this forum: MPC Club
    You can also use myihome which works something like Tversity or Orb but I believe you have to have a hard disk in the the pch so that you can install that software.

12. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Alright, I'm still messing around with it. First off, I'm streaming from a Windows XP Home pc using myiHome, which is installed on the pc. There's no hdd installed in my PH.

I ripped Family Guy, Season 5, Disc 1 to my pc, leaving everything intact. I ripped it as an .iso and to .vob.

Just dragging and dropping the .iso into the shared folder results in it not being detected by the PH. Everywhere I read, people are saying .iso playback is just fine. But I can't find anything saying if any special procedure is needed. I'm still searching.

As for the vob, yea, it sees them, but not the .ifo.

So... it looks like if you want to rip an entire disc, menus and all, it'll have to be left in .iso format. Of course, I'm still trying to get it to play.

13. baaronp

baaronp Member

bhetrick - I have a few more questions for you. 1st congrats on your success!

I was wondering how you have yours set up? Are your files on your network or did you install an internal hard drive into the popcorn hour?

If your files are on the netwrok, what are you using as a server? NFS?

14. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

The myiHome program lets your pc act as a server. I'm running Windows XP Home (not Pro or MCE), and I'm streaming wired from my pc to the PH. I have not installed a hard drive in the PH.

My intention was to take 1 of my 1th drives from my pc and install it in the PH. But after the PH arrived I realized it accepts ide drives, not sata.

But now that I see how good it streams from my pc, I'll just leave it streaming. I've had no problems at all, even with hd vids.

Using TVersity with the 360 gave me problems with hd movies, so I only had a couple in hd. But now that I'm using the PH, I'll just build a small media server as my hd collection grows.

15. klbjr

klbjr Member

Seem to be having a problem with renaming the vob to mpg. No matter what I do Vista Ultimate still sees it as a vob and that goes for Media Center & WMP 11. Media center won't even show the file and I get an error when i try to play it with WMP11.

16. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Then just run the vob through vob2mpg. It should be in ADs download section. Only takes about 3-4 minutes.

17. algtz1

algtz1 Regular member

bhetrick, from what I read on the pch forums and wiki, myihome doesn't support .iso or video_TS files. You would have to change your shares into either SMB or NFS shares

18. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Yea... through a lot of reading, I believe there in lyes my problem. I have an 80 gig hdd I was going to throw in the PH to test it, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

19. baaronp

baaronp Member

I have a ph. I know for a fact to play IFO files... ie the dvd riped in its raw format in the video_ts folder ... you HAVE to use NFS

20. mactavish

mactavish Member

i tried custom size: 1399 and yes the conversion is faster. i haven't tried anything lower than that but it should speed up the conversion time. I donot know if the smaller file size will affect more of video or audio...or maybe both.

for now i'm converting until i can save up for popcorn hour