Stuck for a choice

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by jafa38, Jul 18, 2005.

1. jafa38

jafa38 Member

Hi All. Great site and spent the last few hours ploughing through the posts. Here's the problem. I live in NZ and the choice of what you can buy OTC is somewhat limited. Basically the big DIVX DVD brand in town at a reasonable price is Philips.

At first I wanted a DVP642, heaps of good info around but that wasn't officially imported. Neither is the 720SA which looks fab. The local Pioneer product is a DV383 which i can't really find much info on , so I'm open minded about it($200NZ). Havn't seen any firmware upgrades for Pioneer products.

Love Sony but too much $$ bearing in mind the last DVD died of jam sandwich insertion. Spongebob survived though, apparently he was hungry in there !!!

That leaves me with the Philips 5100k at the $200NZ , not too fussed about the karioke stuff. But .....no Dolby , no Scart, poor s/n but good video. Now in a few weeks SWMBO is off to the UK. We can order up a DVP720SA for $118(£42)which although older has all the nice sound bits, does everthing nicely now its firmware is stable BUT it wont have any warranty support as a grey import.

So whats it to be , 5100 new , warranty , but lacking in the sound dept. 720 bit older but still a darn good value for money product, if it goes wrong its staight to the wheelie bin. Or the not so popular Pioneer , perhaps its under rated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Gaurangp

Gaurangp Guest

I think it all depends what u wanna play with the dvd player tell me

3. jafa38

jafa38 Member

Mainly , shop bought DVD and downloaded divx , probably not much inbetween. I know were in the bargain basement :)