1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Magic 3.6 DVD - PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by Shnisno, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Nario

Nario Member

I don't mean to sound like a n00b, but I'm getting desperate. I really need a response as what to do because I only have 30 days with the current return policy of the site and I'm just making sure I can fix it without sending it back in. Please . . . help me.

2. dipwad

dipwad Member

Nario-

The varied responses to your Swap Magic disk tells me you have 1 of 2 problems:

1. A defective or damaged Swap Magic disk (possible but not likely).
    Solution: Get a new Swap Magic disk.
    2. A damaged or dirtied PS2 lens (which explains why it loads differently each time but still fails).
    Solution: Clean the lens.

See my post above. I had a similar problem, and first tried to replace the disk. No dice. Even though my old Swap Magic disc was scratched as if it had been through a tornado, it still works after cleaning my PS2s lens(the lens reads your disc inside the PS2). The PS2 is very picky about what disks it picks up as valid, so if anything gets in the way it will reject the disk.

Another note - If the problem is the lens, you may also have trouble loading other original PS2 games, especially older ones. My system was having loading problems on other games that cleared up after cleaning the lens.

Remember:
    I don't recommend touching the lens on your Playstation except as a last resort. If you can get a can of compressed air from the store and dust out your system, this is the safest bet. Beyond that, I used only a CLEAN, DRY, cotton, LINT-FREE cloth to GENTLY wipe the lens clean.

Also, if you load the screen and it won't load the game the problem is most likely with how you burned the specific game (although a dirty lens can also cause this problem). There are other forums that address that issue.

3. Nario

Nario Member

Hmm, seeing as how I have no problems with my other regular PS2 games it takes the problem away from the lens and points the spotlight on the Swap Magic DVD disc. And since I can't even load the hardware to begin with that means that I couldn't have been able to test what burned games work or not. This means the exclusive problem is in the disc and your solution is to get a new disc. With that said, I'll be contacting the store I got it from and demand a replacement. Thanks for your help, dipwad, I'm sure my younger siblings can wait a little longer.

4. dipwad

dipwad Member

No problem, Nario. I hope the disk solution works for you. :) As I said in the PM, I was just sharing what worked for me; I wouldn't clean the lens except as a last resort. I'd love to hear what solution finally works for you.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays!

5. Amon24

Amon24 Member

kk hey people^^ i'm getting rather desperate, cant seem to find anybody with the same problems as me and i would REALLY like to play on my ps2

so, i used to have a modchip but my ps2 broke, at christmas i got a new one, slimline version but instead of a modchip i'm (attempting) to use swap magic 3.6.

I've installed all the correct bits and pieces etc. SO i put in the discs and two options appear: "LOAD PROGRAM" and "VIDEO MODE". I think its at this point that i'm doing things wrong. I open up the fliptop lid and the screen changes and says "INSERT BIGGER TOC" so i put in my copy and nothing happens. It returns to the previous "LOAD PROGRAM" etc screen, i select load program and....TADAAA! nothing happens >< big let down everybodys peeved lol.

so can anyone please help me out? i REALLY want to play on it before my hols are over and seeing as everything i've come across has been about the swap no longer working, no-one else seems to have a non-starter swap magic ><....so pleaaaase help me^^

6. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

The instructions are here:
    http://www.swapmagic3.com/default.htm
    But when you get to that screen with the 2 options, that is the time to do the swap. Then press X on joypad once swapped.
    If you still have problems, then it is probably with the pieces you have installed. You didnt say if its magic keys or what you are using.
    You need to make sure they are placed properly.
    What backup are you trying to play, and what is the disk size?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  7. bvzxa

bvzxa Member

To all:

Magic Keys are frustrating and somewhat useless.

I used the tape and tissue method, and I have had no problems.

Swap Magic DVD discs are tricky smuges and scratches cause the DVD disc to be faulty. I have had it not work, but I clean discs, as well as my PS2 lens every other day.

Helps to keep it working.

If you have a fat PS2 with a flip-top or dreaded slide tool, then why not buy a used MGS3 (high TOC) and use cogswap elf. It's cheaper than swap magic, and worked for me when I had mine.

8. dipwad

dipwad Member

So Amon24, let me get this right . . . you DID or did NOT install the modchip?

No swapmagic, cogswap elf, magic keys, or whatever will work unless you install the modchips. Otherwise the PS2 freaks out when opened.

If you did, the instructions above should work: Start up with loader of choice (Swapmagic works great for me), at the load screen touch nothing (unless you have a weird PS2 or live in Asia or Australia), open the lid, take out the swap disc, put in the correctly copied game.

If it still messes up, my guess is that you copied the game incorrectly, or are trying to load a program (such as an emulator) that is configured incorrectly.

I use nero express to do a one-to-one copy of my games, be sure to close the session/disc. It works for 90% of my games.

Good luck, and happy new year.

9. Crazy75

Crazy75 Member

My Swap Magic 3.6 is messed up. I turned my PS2 on this morning to play Sega Master System games for a while by using Swap Magic 3.6 (DVD Version). Later today, I turned my PS2 on to boot up the Swap Magic 3.6 (DVD Version) and it suddenly took longer to be read. Sometimes it boots up properly, sometimes it don't. Can anyone fix the problem?

The CD version don't work
    The DVD version just keeps taking long to be read.
    You know, the memory cards, the currently inserted disc...
    And sometimes it do dat.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  10. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

What version PS2 do you have?
    Do you have issues with original disks? It could be your laser needs cleaning or replacing.

11. Crazy75

Crazy75 Member

I have a slim PS2. My other PS2 game discs work fine except for this one. No, it's not the laser, it's just the disc.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  12. Crazy75

Crazy75 Member

My PS2 version is 12. It a SCPH-70001(USA). I have a slim PS2. My other PS2 game discs work fine except for this one. No, it's not the laser, it's just the disc.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  13. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

To rule out the if the Swap Magic Disks are bad or not, is to try them in a friends or another PS2.
    If you do have problems down the road with reading other disks, it is probably due to the V12 poor laser.
    It is called the V12 Syndrome, the coils burn out on the laser.

Quotes from sites
    "Brand new PS2 laser block PVR802 replacement DVD PS2 laser lens for 7000x slim PSTwo consoles, If your PS2 console is has problems loading DVD disks, it probably due to a coil burnout on the PSTwo laser lens.

Replacing your old PS2 laser lens with this brand new PVR802 PTwo laser will solve your problem. With the dreaded PS2 v12 syndrome, many people have had to replace their PS2 laser in the slim PSTwo consoles."

14. dipwad

dipwad Member

Just another war story- I finally replaced my laser with one that I ordered from Hong Kong. To put it short, a lot waiting and a lot of effor to remove the anti-static solder point without damaging the laser, just to find out the new one wasn't much better than my old one. I can play a few copied games with TOCs that are relatively small.