1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Trick Without Swap Magic, etc.

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by krTsukasa, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Your thing sounds pretty cool, but why would you need to play your back-up when you have the original? You need the original to do this thing, which is bad, I actually thought you didn't say you need the original. [sighs] Pretty good.

2. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Wait, I am sorry, I don't think I completely understood your first post.
    ----
    Basically, ur saying that if you put any original PS, PSX, PS2 game into the console, you have free access to back-ups? So if I put like PS Resident Evil and perform the thing, I can play a back-up of Gran Turismo?

Btw what is PSX?
    and does this trick work for imports? Yeah sorry, probly not, I am just so far retarded when it comes to a PS2 talk.

3. krTsukasa

krTsukasa Member

^_^ your welcome mengsbu52.

Eugene482, I think u missunderstood it. You do not need the original copy of the game u want to play in order to make this work. To make it work, u need an original game, any game will work, as long as it's an original psx disc (or ps2 disc, which ever u are trying to play a copy of).

rev1, i think i understand why this method works without swap magic (this is just a theory tho). Swap magic discs are original psx discs, so the system boots them without question. Then, it prompts u to change disc, but u have to change disc without the ps2 knowing (so it won't do the disc check again). It then loads the backup and u play your game. This trick works the same way, but without the swap magic disc. The only difference i can see is that u don't have a prompt to change discs. It seems however, that if you use either my method or yours, you don't really need a prompt because you have enough time to swithch the discs without one. The change disc prompt is just more of a easy way to avoid the timing thing. But, there really isn't any timing thing to worry about with this because with your method, u are waiting at the browser screen, and with mine, the disc brake slows down the disc so that the ps2 can't proceed with the loading process until u close the cover again. I think this effectivly destroies the need for a swap magic disc when playing psx backups on a slim ps2 (tho old ps2's still probably need it, lol). Btw, if u have any ps2 DVD backups, could u test this trick with those (cuz so far u have only tested CD based ones, right). I'm curious to see if that works as well.

4. krTsukasa

krTsukasa Member

Eugene482, u have the right idea now. The way it works is that u need an original disc of the format of a backup u want to play. To play a PSX backup, u need to boot with an original PSX disc. To boot a CD-based ps2 backup, u need an original CD-based ps2 disc (the blue bottomed onse). We haven't tested it yet, but I think that it should also work with DVD based PS2 backups, if of course u boot with an original DVD based ps2 disc (silver bottomed).

Btw, PSX is just an abbreviation for original playstation/psone. ^_^

Oh, and yes, it should work for imports as well.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  5. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

WTF???!!!! No, that's just wrong, because I understood this this way. Ok, I want to play some PS2 games. I have the US/CAnada version of Burnout Revenge, and I want to play Japan ver. of Federation vs ZAft. So I am downloading the Fed vs ZAFT, DVD decrypt it, and I have the back-up.

Then I put my Burnout Revenge in the PS2, perform the swap trick, and whattt??? Since when did PS2 region U.S. plays the PS2 games Region Japan?? See? I am stupid, it won't work.
    Oh well, if it was that simple (just as I said) no one would have bought swap magic.

Thanks though.

6. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

And I really hope that it also works for the PS2 back-ups.

7. brownfoo

brownfoo Member

heya, just a quick question how would you swap the disc without the ps2 knowing it?
    i tried a couple of times and it just isnt working for me, i got the slim ps2 =P

8. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Jeez, this is hard, everytime I open the fliptop during the blank screen with flickers, it stops the emulation and shows the browser screen. Then it says "reading disc" and then "please insert ps or ps2 disc. It either I am not doing this right or it doesn't work for ps2 games.

Though I found a way to make ps2 work without completely closing the flip top.

9. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

sad, hey kTsukasa, are you there?
    I think that I am not doing this thing right, since whenever I open the fliptop, it 'immediately' shows the browser screen, so how am I suppose to move so fast?

I just tried this back up with emulator, I dunno, doesn't work. No the back up is ok, just stuck, I start the emulation and see the usual ps2 screen thing with the blues flying, but the browser doesn't see the game. [sighs] just when I actually thought my ps2 could be any useful. :'(

10. krTsukasa

krTsukasa Member

Umm...check back with the original post. This is done using the tape and tissue mod. Unfortuneatly, the tape and tissue mod will have u open your ps2 up, which voids the warrenty. If u don't mind doing this, or your warrenty has expired anyway, then try it out. The tape and tissue mod is extremely easy, and does not involve modifying your system in any way (unless u count taping down a sensor modifying it...). Trust me, it is easy to do, even if u aren't very good with electronics. Here is the link to the tape and tissue mod:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/256226

If u don't feel like opening up your ps2, there are other methods of tricking the sensors. I believe there are some things u can buy that u fit under the cover to press down on the sensors. Other than that (or just to try this method out so u can see that it does work), u can try this:

Boot your ps2 without a disc and go to the browser. Open the cover and put something against the sensor above the power switch (actually u could just use a piece of tissue like in the Tape and Tissue mod. Put an original game disc in. Open the disc cover VERY slightly (so that it's bearly even open). The disc will continue to spin, if not, then the cover is too far open. Btw, this may take a few tries to get right. While the cover is open that tiny bit, pop the disc out somehow (use your fingernail, or find some random object). Be careful however, because the motor will continue to spin like this (and could damage either disc if you are not careful). Take the original out, and put the backup in (still keeping the cover barely open). Now pop the backup into place on the moter (it will still be spinning, so this might take some practice). Once the backup is in place, go ahead and shut the cover. The browser screen will still have the disc image on the screen (if this disappears at all during this, you have opened the cover too much). Select the disc, and play your backup.

Now, that method is extremely annoying, so once u try it out and verify that it works, u may want to open your ps2 and try the tape and tissue mod. Beleive me, it makes it ALOT easier. Oh, and btw, when u pop the disc out to swap them, the motor will hit against the disc alot. It makes a really god awful noise, that sounds like your ps2 crying out in agony. Just warning u, cause if it takes u by surprise, it could scare the hell out of u.

Anyway, if u have any other questions, i'd be happy to help. Oh, and about the question on playing import games, i'm really not sure. They should boot ok with this method (don't know, haven't tested it), but i really don't know if they will run correctly. The point is, if u do this, they will not show up as incorrect region, or whatever, but i don't know if the ps2 software will be able to run them correctly. It is however worth a try. Good Luck

11. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

What is the "voids warranty" risk or completely no warranty? My warranty is 'til 25 december :) . They said something about "WE WILL NOT FIX YOUR PS2 IF a)...... b) SOMETHING ABOUT GOD.

Weird.
    Oh yeah and about that carefully slightly open your Ps2, I tried it before, but the cover has to be at max 2 cm open, and I didn't cover the sensor, -.-" I wished for three hands and used pens to press into those hole and oh god, ok, I'll still try the fingernail method before I break my ps2 with no warranty.

12. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

I read all of it, Are you sure the PS2 back-ups will work without Swap Magic? Sighs, taking risk, sorry my Ps2, right now you live, but on my next post, I am not sure.

13. mengsbu52

mengsbu52 Guest

umm Eugene, i dont know much about playing back ups, but i heard the disc swap wont work wit ps2 games unless its the swap magic discs, or ur console is modded. this thread was mainly about playing PSX "playstation one" game back ups by booting them with a original psx game.

14. mengsbu52

mengsbu52 Guest

oh.... my bad Eugene. i posted before reading further on. sorry for that. i didnt know u could do this with ps2 games. (if thats what i read). sorry

15. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Omg, well, it works, but about the thing, I open the fliptop and the thing spins like crazy, then I put a back up (barely!!) but I get a blank screen and the disc isn't spinning anymore.

16. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Ehh, I don't like the fact that the disc is spinning and I have to force it out. I think I almost got it this time, but wasn't successfull, I saw a "Playstation 2 " in grey rectangle (probly from last game) and then I saw those usual before game like clicks on the screen but then in browser it says "there is no data" and then shows plz insert blah disc.

Sighs, AM I DOING THIS RIGHT MY PS2 IS ALREADY MODDED.

17. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Also it doesn't matter if the fliptop is open or closed, the sensor has been sort of disabled so I can see the red laser, I don't really get it. Though with open fliptop there is "rubber brake thing" and when you close it, it goes away.

18. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

I also cannot use Rev1's method, since if I insert the disc right away it emulates it, if I do it in the browser, it won't matter, the sensors are disabled so when you open the thing it doesn't work.

19. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

ACtually I did use his method, by opening and closing the sensor above the power switch, and it didn't work. It sort of looked like it worked but it still said "please insert Ps1 or PS2"

Omg, please tell me I did something wrong.

20. mengsbu52

mengsbu52 Guest

hey Eugene, i know what ur talking bout. i tried to play a DVD backup of PS2 and i got the Playstation 2 in the grey rectangle. then it goes back to the "insert disc thing" am i almost there? help please.