1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Trick Without Swap Magic, etc.

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by krTsukasa, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Omg what a Serial Poster I am, sorry. Dang, I almost damage the lenses.

2. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

sorry, what is a grey rectangle?

3. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

I think that ur on the same spot as I am. And krTsukasa has ditched me =.="

4. rev1

rev1 Member

Hey Eugene :) Sorry to see you're having so many difficulties in getting this to work for you. Well, I don't know much at all about these things just yet (I'm only a little over a week into it, and I've just been learning what I can as I go along).
    But I'll see if I can be of any help to you at all. :)

Well, for starters:

Just what kind of back-ups are you attempting to perform the swap trick with?

Examples:

~ PS 1 original (CD) --> PS1 CD-R Back-Up

~ PS 2 CD format original --> PS 2 CD-R format Back-Up

...or;

~ PS 2 DVD format original --> PS 2 DVD-R format Back-Up

Also... if I'm reading into this correctly...
    You've got the slim PS2. And you stated it was modded - did you mean you tape/tissue modded it yourself or is it fitted with an actual modchip?

The method both krTsukasa and myself were describing are for booting PS 1 back-ups using original PS 1 games; as Mengsbu was suggesting.This method will allow you boot something like the imbNES Nintendo emulator on your PS 2 system, because the imbNES is PS 1 based.

I'm still trying to find out how and if there are any work arounds similar to this for use with PS 2 software as well, without the use of any other peripherals, mod chips, or Swap Magic like discs (such as PS 2 CD-R based backups, which the SNES emulator is based on).

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    @ Mengsbu - Awesome! :D Glad to see you've got the NES up and running. Hope you're enjoying it as much as I've been...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    @ krTsukasa - You got this to work on a slim line PS2??
    (I didn't realize you were doing this on that model system).
    Well, that answers my questions about whether or not it would.
    And I can definitely confirm that it also works for the bulky older models too (I have a V9 SCPH-50001 version and did it on this one) without the need for anything more than an original PS 1 game disc.
    No tape and tissue mod needed either for the bulky one... I just removed the disc tray's faceplate and use a slide card I made to slide open the tray without the PS 2 knowing.

Unfortunately, the same hasn't faired well for PS 2 CD based back-up/ PS 2 CD original swaps (on my system anyway), which is why I haven't gotten the SNES STATION running on the system yet.

DVD-R/DVD original swaps... -=scratches head=- :/ ...
    I honestly couldn't tell you myself because I don't have any DVD back-ups or a DVD burner to test it with.

5. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Oh, I am trying to do this --> PS2 DVD original --> PS2 DVD back-up (using dvd decrypter)

And I moded it myself, just as krTsukasa pointed out, tape thing.

But my ps2 is like crazy, probly like everyone's who moded it.

6. rev1

rev1 Member

Yeah, I seemed to have gotten the grey rectangle treatment too Meng :/ . Last night, I tried to boot an actual PS 2 CD (tried it using Half Life, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, and The Sims - all PS 2 CD based games) then once it loaded, tried swapping it for both the SNES STATION CD-R I made and an Indy Exploit CD-R I made.

It booted a gray rectangle in place of the Playstation 2 logo... then nothing.

Still working on it...

7. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

will anyone tell me what's a gray rectangle? Taking out a disc while it's spinning doesn't seem too , too, good feeling for me. I stumbled the lense couple of times, the thing keeps popping up and down + there is a laser coming out of it.

:((

Will there be an answer...........?

8. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Oh, doesn't the disc speed and texture mapping sort of, help?

9. rev1

rev1 Member

No problem... Just try to hang tight Eugene...

I'm trying to find the site that I had found initially that stated this could be done with a DVD --to--> DVD-R transfer. It's what prompted me to try it with the PS 2 CD --to--> CD-R swap (which didn't working) and eventually the PS 1 swap trick (which luckily did).

Unfortunately, I don't own a DVD burner, so I can physically troubleshoot how to get this working for what you're trying to do; so I'm just going to try finding that info again ( I know for sure 100% that I saw it somewhere... just gotta search for it again because I didn't bookmark the site)

Well, in the mean time, just be sure you're gentle with it if you do decide to continue trying until I can find it... you don't want to knock your laser's eye out of alignment.

10. rev1

rev1 Member

Only for PS 1 titles, unfortunately. Those options only work for the PS 1 driver in the systems hardware to play those kinds of games. The actual drivers for PS 2 games has it's own separate bios and such.

The gray rectangle thing seems to just be some sort of error.
    Instead of showing the "Playstation 2" text logo at the start of a game like it usually does, it simply shows a gray rectangle in it's place and stops reading the disc.

11. mengsbu52

mengsbu52 Guest

Hey, i got an idea. it works too. nothing new. but u know how us with the Slim PS2's use the Tape method. and krTsukasa was saying that it can be frustrating booting the PS2 back ups with the lid slightly open. try this. still use the tape method. but only tape the back left button, and remove the PS2 disc brake (just keep it incase u want to put it back on) or u can tape the brake back as if the lid was closed. there for turn on the ps2 with no disc in it like u sed. then jam the little paper ball in the front right, and the disc will load while the cove is fully open and ur still on the browser. use ur finger to sop the disc( the middle part the disc snaps on too) then hold the back up with a finger in the hole. stop the part that u snap the disc on with ur finger through the hole. and click the back up on. now close the cover and press the "X" button on the icon. it works great for the imbNES and im guessing other backups. we juss gotta get them running. BTW Rev 1, im enjoyin it real good. thanks again u guys.

12. mengsbu52

mengsbu52 Guest

more clear tutorial.

1. open PS2

2. Tape the back left Button

3. remove the brake or tape it back (so its not in the way)

4. put ur ps2 back together

5. turn it on (with no disc)

6. Load original Format for back up (PS2 CD-R, PS2 DVD-R, PSX CD-R)

7. Jam the Paper Ball In The Front Right Button

8. Let the disc load. (ICON comes Up)

9. Stop Disc and Remove Original

10. Stop Disc Holder and Place in the Back Up

11. Close the Cover

12. Press The "X" Button

13. mengsbu52

mengsbu52 Guest

actually for step 3. u can just remove the spring and then u can push the brake back and it'll stay put. just dont lose the spring.

14. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

I tried that, mm like went to browser, put the original in, removed the paper from back right sensor, put the paper back, held a finger on a brake, removed original, put in the back up, started perfectly, gave a message "please insert ps or ps2 disc.

[sighs] Now I have to revise the Tissue Method Modding back. And consider buying Swap Magic.

15. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

ehh Listen meng, when your ps2 back-ups will start to work, just post in this topic. Ok? Since there is a very long Technological Time Interval between the PS1 and Modern Slimline.

16. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Sorry, Thanks for all your effort Though.

17. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Amazing, I just remembered. I just Voided my PS2 warranty and nearly killed it and my time.

18. mengsbu52

mengsbu52 Guest

no problem eugene.

19. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Alternation: rev1, do you know how to play back-ups on the emulator? I have the bios and pcsx2 + back-up, doesn't' seem to work.

Omg, this friggin japanese import back-up won't work any place else. Maybe I should give up. [sighs] good night

20. rev1

rev1 Member

I'm not certain there's a stable enough release of pcsx 2 that fully supports proper emulation of full blown PS 2 titles.
    I think (you may have to check up on this to confirm it because I haven't been following it too closely for some time now)it's still only in the early development stages of playing specific demo's.

Well, look around and see what you can find out about it... You may come across a stroke of luck and I could be completely wrong. :)