1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Trick Without Swap Magic, etc.

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by krTsukasa, Jul 28, 2006.

1. krTsukasa

krTsukasa Member

Wow, that's a lot of posts. Srry i haven't posted at all, i didn't think so much would happen in 24 hrs. Ok, so first of all, I have only ever used my method for PSX backups. Rev1 apparently got it to work for CD based PS2 backups. I said that i think that it should work for dvd based psx backups, but no one had tested that yet. If u have done the tape and tissue mod, booting psx backups is easy.

Boot with an original.

After the swirling cloud screen fades out, open the cover.

Swap discs and close the cover.

PSX Screen should appear and backup should load.

NOTE: You can actually leave the brake as is, cuz it comes in handy for this. When the cover is open, the brake will kick in and slow the disc down. It will not stop it, but it will slow it down to the point where the ps2 cannot read from it. This gives u all the time u need to swap discs.

I like using the tape and tissue thing over that other swaping method i mentioned because it is soooo much easier. Yes, when i first tried the other method, i too wished i had 3 hands. I did not post that as a permenent solution, i just offered it as a test. I figured that u'd want test the swap method b4 opening your ps2 and voiding the warrenty.

I'd help with all these issues of the mysterious gray rectangle, but as i said in the begining, when i worked on this, it was on my friends ps2 slimline (i don't have a ps2 of my own... tho i want to get one soon). I don't have my friends ps2 anymore, so until i get my own I can't really help with anything new. I'm sorry if u voided your ps2's warrenty for nothing Eugene482, but you should at least be able to play psx backups on it now (even if that was not your original plan). In an earlier post, back on page 1, I mentioned a good website to get roms from (including psx iso's). Remember tho, roms are illegal unless u own a copy of the original game.

2. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

I probly won't buy swap magic and probly never play that game.

3. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

oh, KrTsukasa, didn't see ur post. No, I don't have any psx originals, (I've played enough of Psone titles in my country) and, after ps2, it's sort of old.

Btw what's a Ps2 based on a CD-R like rev1 said? Are those blue ray discs? I don't get what's the point of them, they just hold less data.

I remember someone said "we'll have a proper PS2 emulator by the time Ps3 comes out" but it was like a year ago when people never heard of ps3. Life sucks. Ps2 is useless. I'm hungry.

Oh yeah, 24 hours is a lot of time (considering I waited for you there). Ur lucky if ur getting a ps2 right now. A few months ago it was $170, now it's at gamecubes old price, $120, you can even say Gameboy's old price.

4. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

5. rev1

rev1 Member

The website below has nothing to do with what we've been trying to do here, but I thought it would help because there's a picture he included in the guide that shows the different disc types supported by the PS 2.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

You'll notice, as he says, the differences between the discs:

----------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ All PS 1 games are CD based only. (They have a black bottom on the disc reading side) Essentially the same as any other CD, but a format designed only for use with the Playstation 1 console (as well as Playstation 2 because of it backwards compatibility capabilities).

These are what we've been using to boot PS 1 CD-R's on our PS 2's.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

- For PS 2 games, they generally come in one of two formats:

~ 1. It's either a CD designed for use on PS 2 only.
    Most of these were the earlier titles that were released when the system first came out, and before developers really using the DVD format for their games, but there are exceptions.
    (These are the blue bottomed ones on the disc reading side and which say 'Compact Disc' on the label side. Basically the same thing as a regular CD, but formatted for the PS 2)
    Some examples of games that are CD based are The Sims, Half Life, and Marvel Vs Capcom 2; as well as many others.

To boot a PS 2 CD based back-up (CD-R), I was trying to use an original PS 2 CD based game. However, unlike the way it worked for the PS 1 games/back-ups, I had no luck getting a PS 2 CD game to boot a PS 2 CD-R back-up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

~ The other PS 2 game format as you well know is DVD.
    These are typically gold colored on the disc reading side (though I think there are also silver colored ones) and are labeled as DVD ROM.
    Most of the PS 2 library is comprised of these types of discs because of their ability to hold more data than the CD format.

I think this is where what you were trying to do falls in.
    Using an original PS 2 DVD based game to boot a PS 2 DVD-R back-up.
    I can't confirm if this can be done or not; but really only because I don't own any DVD-R back-ups or a DVD burner to make and test any.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course the PS 2 also supports other disc formats such as Audio CD's and DVD/DVD-R movies. These however have their own dedicated drivers and cannot be used to boot any format of either PS1/PS 2 games.

Hope that might help to clear up the differences between the disc formats for the PS 2.

So what we were able to accomplish, was a way to boot PS 1 CD-R back-ups using just a regular old PS 1 game, without Swap Magic, GameShark, Mod-Chip or anything like that.

As for doing the same with PS 2 games (CD or DVD format)...
    It doesn't seem to work using the same method.

However, as I said, I've only tried and failed to do it with the CD based ones; while it seems you were trying to do it with a DVD based game/back-up. So I can't personally know for sure if it doesn't work for the DVD-to-DVD-R swap because I've only tried it with CD-to-CD-R's, and had no luck.

6. krTsukasa

krTsukasa Member

So everyone, in conclusion, this method of swap trick allows u to play CD-R Backups (and I assume imports as well) of PSX discs, perfectly. It is a simple and inexpensive method that does not modify your system in anyway at all, and can easly be undone. The only downside however is that, if u use the tape and tissue mod, you will have to void your warrenty. Unfortunitly, this swap trick only works for PSX backups, not PS2 ones. Case Closed. Next case, how DO u play PS2 backups without swap magic or a mod-chip? Who knows. There's probably a way to do it, but who knows what that is.

7. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

I highly doubt that there is a way to play ps2 back-ups without swap magic, people aren't that dumb to buy swap magic. I wish I knew it earlier and just accidentally didn't read this topic.

8. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

9. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

oh damn, IT NEEDS SWAP MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. DjBreaker

DjBreaker Member

Man this is a great guide... very helpful, but I DONT HAVE AN ORIGINAL PS1 GAME! I want to cry... Jajaja, LOL

11. krTsukasa

krTsukasa Member

...u don't have an original psx game... go to your local gamestop or other video game store and buy an old, used, unpopular, psx game for about $2. Anywhere u can find them now they are pretty cheap (especially if u buy one that wasn't so popular... in other words, not final fantasy or anything... those are still a little pricy for their age).

12. DjBreaker

DjBreaker Member

Ok man i will buy one... its better than buying that dumb BreakerPro

13. rev1

rev1 Member

This may seem kind of useless, but I thought it might help in knowing if there exists a version of the PS 2 that this doesn't work for.
    (Although it's as simple as a person trying it and finding out)
    But what the heck - what harm could it do :)

Below I've listed all the consoles I've tried along (3 different PS 2's and a PS 1, so far) with a small list of the things I used to do it for each, as well as the results.

Well, like I said, it may be useless, but for anyone who may have these kinds of questions and are reluctant to give it try before knowing full well if their console will work with it...well, here goes:

::::::::::FOR ANYONE NEW, PLEASE NOTE:
    This list contains information regarding the use of the two techniques described on page 1 of this thread to boot PS 1 back-ups on a PS 2 system - without the use/need of Swap Magic-like discs, a modchip, or any other peripherals - only.

This method has not been proven to work for PS 2 back-ups or other software in the same manner.::::::::::::::

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    PLAYSTATION 2 ::: NTSC (US) Consoles :::

Playstation 2 Model(s) [Bulky]

- Version 9 - Model No. SCPH 50001 (Date Code 3C)

Results: Works

- Version 5/6 - Model No. SCPH 30001 R

What's needed:

- Slide Card Tool

- Original Playstation 1 Disc (Any Game, Demo, or Cheat Disc i.e. Gameshark, Action Replay, Exploder, etc.)

- Playstation 1 Back-Up CD-R or Import Disc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PStwo Model(s) [Slim Line]

- Version 14 - Model No. SCPH 75001

What's Needed:

- Original Playstation 1 Disc (Any Game, Demo, or Cheat Disc i.e. Gameshark, Action Replay, Exploder, etc.)

Optional:

- " Tape and Tissue 'Mod' "

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLAYSTATION :::NTSC (US) Console:::

Playstation Model [Bulky]

- SCPH 5501

What's Needed:

- One Kneaded (Drawing) Eraser (or any other preferred method of tricking console into "thinking" the lid is closed)