swp2009 demo virus - cannot start my system in any mode

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by bjones200, May 29, 2009.

1. bjones200

bjones200 Member

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me. I have a dell laptop and somehow I got the swp2009 demo virus (really nasty according to all the websites on how to remove it, etc.) Anyway, it appears one of the only ways to remove it is to install SuperAntiSpyware in Safe Mode. Well, I tried that and everything seemed to be going great. But the first time I tried to go to the internet, it redirected my browser to something like avertdogg2009.com (which was supposed to be another malware remover, but this is all part of the scap of the swp2009 virus). Anyway, I turned the machine off fairly quickly, but now I cannot boot into any mode (safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good config, regular XP, anything). The computer will just get 'stuck' without any icons or start menu (in safe mode, it just says safe mode in the 4 corners but a black screen otherwise).

I have a lot of files that I desperately need from the computer (word docs, pictures of my kids, etc.) that I cannot loose. I don't mind wiping the drive as long as I can get those files off somehow.

Any ideas? Please help!! Thanks.

2. LowAnimal

LowAnimal Member

You might have to reset your computer using a window's xp(whatever your OS is) disc. But I'm not 100% sure this is the right way to go. Consider this a last resort.