System Crashing A lot need help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Morganell, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Morganell

Morganell Member

I've been experiencing multiple system crashes while running any full screen game. In the past, I've had my video driver fail. Don't worry I've updated that. Actually I just reformatted my system because I thought a fresh OS would help. Basically it's been a toss up as far as whether my driver will crash or the system locks up now. HELP ME PLZZ

MSI K9A2-CF AM2+
    AMD Athlon x2 6400 3.2 ghz
    4 GB A-DATA RAM
    RAID 0 2x 640 WD HD's
    Saphire Raedon 4870 512mb
    Corsair 750W Single Rail PSU

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Do you get any BSODs? Whether you do or don't, go into computer management (right click on my computer and go manage) and look in the event viewer for error codes.

3. Morganell

Morganell Member

No BSOD's here, the whole system just freezes and locks up. You know when it's going to happen because the video feed on the monitor goes all fuzzy and then the screen goes blank and that's it, the system is done. Got power cycle the computer.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

power supply issue or videocard? can you try the card in another pc to see what happens?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Faulty graphics by the sound of things.

6. tripplite

tripplite Guest

it sounds crazy and unethical but try moving your computer to the horizontal position....if already horizontal try moving it to the vertical position.....try it i dare you, hardrives/disc drives, and your other hardware operate fine in almost any position, just make sure air flow isn't constricted....i know it sounds crazy but try it:p

7. Morganell

Morganell Member

I actually found out that the video card was a dud. Shortly after starting this thread my computer had it's last and final crash, sending my video card to crap. Good thing it's under warranty!! hopefully they give me a better version of this Video Card. The 4870 I have is already discontinued. :( BTW What would the response of turning my tower sideways do for my system? It wouldn't constrict my airflow at all, but it might send my Cathodes flopping around lol!!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Bad luck, was it a non-reference design?

9. Morganell

Morganell Member

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Thats only because the price has changed - you can still buy it:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102797

That is the reference design, so I find it surprising there was an issue with it, but looking into it there appears to be some compatibility issues with AMD chipset/CPU/Graphics combinations, which is rather ironic, the 4870s seem to work better on Intel systems.

11. Morganell

Morganell Member

Either way, I've contacted Sapphire and they are issuing me a new card through my warranty so all is good. I guess it does suck that I'm out a 4870 for a while but I'll live. I still have my old 8800GT to work with till then. Thanks for the help everyone who tried to. I guess my video card had a death wish lol. :p