\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Heybob1, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Heybob1

Heybob1 Member

Hi Guys, I am running Windows Xp upgrade installed over '98'. I ran a system restore to try and retrieve a file I had deleted. Seemed to go fine so I turned my computer off in the correct way. I tried to start my computer about 1hr later and instead got:-"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
    <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file. I have tried to put the Windows Xp upgrade disk in, nothing happens. The only thing I can get into is my setup by pressing DEL on start up. Any ideas Guys. Thanks in advance. Heybob.

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Place the XP disk in the drive and then restart the machine. It should work. As long as your XP disk is a full version either OEM or Pro you should be able to boot from it, enter the recovery console and replace the corrupt file.

There are other items that could be the problem as well. I'll give you a link to a site that tells about each of the problems and walks you through getting the issue resolved.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

I hope this information will help you get the problem resolved.

3. Heybob1

Heybob1 Member

Hi SYXGUNS, Thank you for your help. I do not have a full edition of Xp only the upgrade version. What I may do is purchase a new HD and a OEM full version of Xp. The drive that is in my machine is about 8 years old so I think I have done pretty well with it. Maybe I will use it as a slave ( If poss: ) and salvage a few photos etc: Once again thank you for your time and trouble. Heybob1.

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

It sounds like a good idea to buy a new drive. There should not be a problem setting up your second drive as a slave. If you are looking to buy a copy of XP I saw the home edition on both tigerdirect.com and newegg.com for 89.99. I know that newegg will ship for free.

If you need any further assistance, feel free to ask.

5. Heybob1

Heybob1 Member

Hi SYXGUNS, I picked up a new 160GB Western Digital for $85.99 with postage and Insurance and Xp Pro with SP3 for $80.00 delivered.
    HD from Ihub central and Xp Pro from PC Stealth Box. Took my time and read everything twice, I am now back in business. Thank you very much for your help, its good to know us Newbies can get valued help. Hope you have a good Xmas and New year. Heybob1.

6. syxguns

syxguns Active member

I hope that you have a very merry X-Mas as well!!

I'm glad that you were able to get XP Pro for only $80 bucks! I tried looking up PC Stealth Box but could not find a link. :( That may be a store in your area, but if they have an online facility is there a link to it?

7. Heybob1

Heybob1 Member

pcstealthbox is on e-Bay. I live out bush and have to rely on auctions and buy now for most of my stuff. There seems to be a lot of Xp pro on there at the moment. Hope this helps.