1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taiyo Yuden, no need

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by hello76, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hello76

hello76 Guest

I dont understand why much of people pay more for these discs. I''ve used BenQ discs dvd-r and dvd+r , ive ewent through 50 discs everyone of em worked fine, no skips , coasters. You people say memorex is bad to, i jst burnt like 10 movies no problems there either.

If your reading this thread and you are new dont spend more money online to buy them because others do, its a waste of money>

2. offset

offset Regular member

I believe you can get by cheaper with the lesser known brands of media for movies, but there might be a question about how long they hold up. Several members who have been burning movies for a while have found out that the cheaper media starts to deteriorate over time. I have about 100+ movies burned to Digital Matrix brand DVD+r's (very cheap)from 2 years ago, and they are still going strong. I reserve my most expensive media for my PS2 games.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

wow, someone who gets good results from cheapy/cheaper media. cool for you, but maybe better to wait until you had different batches of the same discs or the same manufacturers with inconsistent quality control before getting your hopes up :)

what can i say apart from -

[bold]..Newbies pls see this - cheapy media is BAD.....[/bold] - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/193298

[bold]..Memorex/CMC - don't let them near your Burner.....[/bold] - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/195438

And as some of the other guys are saying - everyone has their opinions and experiences, but to advocate to newbies to buy crap media, that's real BAD advice as many many people have problems caused mainly by crap quality media.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  4. kenneth1

kenneth1 Regular member

@hello76
    Lets see in a year if you have the same tune, I used to use Memorex, BeAll, Prodisc, and now almost a year later I cant watch more then 75% of them cause the dye is breaking down, the stop and freeze and pixel so that means spending more money for discs and doing them again, but the TY or Verbs that are that old guess what they still play fine, I would rather spend a couple dollars more for TY or Verbs then go throught that bs again, why dont you do a search function and see all the problems people are having as the result of cheap media, just my 2 cents

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Please refrain from giving this advice. If they work good for you so be it. They don't for most and that is poor advice. There are far more experienced members here that know better and we are trying to steer new comers away from problems. Besides you can buy good high quality media online for about the same price as the low or medium grade stuff. I've tried benq media (made by daxon by the way)and it will eventually become unplayable.

Mort

6. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

So Answer me this.. If I find say Fugi DVD+R's onsale and they have the same Coding as TY discs are they going to last as long as official TY Discs?

#1 rule Look for Made in Japan and 90% of the time ya can't go wrong

7. akyllonen

akyllonen Regular member

Yes. Because they [bold]ARE[/bold] TY discs.

As for the advice that started the thread....if they work for you fell free to continue using junk discs. Just look at the quality scan using Nero or KProbe and you'll see why you'll be doing them all again in a year when they become unplayable. If you can't afford 40 cents to back up a $15-$20 DVD on TY or Verb discs...you probably shouldn't be buying the originals in the first place....

8. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

Taiyo Yuden, YES need~ :) LOL

as many have stated earlier, what you choose to do with YOUR money and your discs is of no concern to anyone else other than YOURSELF, but to give advice as to steer newbies away from HIGH QUALITY media to save a few dollars using crap? now that is not right...

i can say from personal experience i've had CMC MAG/ Memosux crap die on me within 3 months after burning...just because such fast deterioration has not happened to YOU yet, does NOT mean it won't..give it some time and you will find out the hard way.

to you it might be a "waste of money" to buy good quality discs, but to MANY MANY others, it's a good investment KNOWING and having the CONFIDENCE of flawless playbacks in the future...without having to worry about re-backups of all the movies you have on your crap memorex discs. :)

9. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

A hard head makes a soft *ss...

10. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Bet you burnt them at max too. I hope you do not need to recopy these disks because they will probably show many errors. In the my beginning burning phase I used crap media, and now 2 and 1/2 years later none of the disks play well. So newbies if you do read this thread buy quality media the few pennies more you pay is worth it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  11. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

@ hello76. i must agree with the others here. that just is not good advise for some one just starting to backup a prized collection
    there is no substitute for quality media
    it may be cheaper to buy cheap in the beginning, but it will be cheaper to buy dearer in the long run.

12. gtapete

gtapete Member

I'm sure a lot of users, myself included, use both more expensive quality media and a decent budget brand. For master copies and family videos, I use Taiyo Yuden, but for copies and giveaways I use ritek/ridata. I just purchased some Prodisc to try out because I've read from some forums that they have improved and are now rated above ritek/ridata.
    But to put everything in perpective regarding costs, we mustn't forget that it was only 6 or 7 years ago when dvd recordable media was over $20 each disc. A co-worker at that time told me home dvd recording will never take off because the blank media will never become affordable.

13. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

Yes, Just wanted to share my experience, even though I've been a newbie, I find that I have learned a tremendous amount from the Senior members, I can now make back-ups of back-ups becuase I use Taiyo Yuden 4x Dvd-R. I just received shipment of 200 Taiyo Yuden (ty 02) Very impressive and quality is extremly high. I always burn at 4x or less and mix the copies with Taiyo Yuden, Verbs, Sony and even Maxell. I have used Memorex, some were fine, but the majority wasn't good. Using a variety of Progs (Best in my opinion is Rebuilder Pro/CCE Basic, then I will use Intervideo Dvd Copy 3 and CloneDVD 2. I have over 500 back-ups (maybe 20 coasters...majority were cheap media.) I would encourage all newbies to look at Taiyo Yuden, Verbs, and SOny. I received my Taiyo Yudens cheaper than if I found anything on sale at Best Buy. Again this is my opinion, but newbies need to learn from experience and Senior Members have experience that can help prevent potential disasters from happening to newbies.
    MovieDud

p.s. Rebuilder also has the capability to convert 4:3 to 16:9 which is nice for non-anamorphic movies such as Armageddon (Criterion). Just did it, and it looks amazing on my 55 inch 16X9 HDTV.

14. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Wow, you managed to burn a massive 10 movies with no probs. Bravo! Come back when you have burnt 500-1000 movies & see if you are singing from the same hymn sheet. I doubt it, very much.

To all newcomers, please, please, please ignore the advice given on the first post. It will only end in tears.

If you buy cheap media, in the end you will be caught out. Most of the guys here have learnt the hard way, including myself. Buy cheap, buy twice. End of story.

Pulsar

15. attar

attar Senior member

I have used NERO to scan my TY bulkpack and the results are mediocre.
    Perhaps in a year or so I will be able to say that the scans were inaccurate or my TY's are junk.
    The supplier, bulkmedia.ca, invites reviews of the product, except that the reviews are vetted before publication and since the review "is not to be used as a source for negative comments", it is perhaps not a surprise that only glowing reports may be read there.
    I started a thread on the subject of TY and scanning which was never really resolved, although I gained valuable insights from the various threads.

I may be wrong, God forbid, but I detect that the general tenor of the responses to the original poster are to punish 'hello76' for having an opinion contrary to the perceived wisdom of the forum, further, there is no reason to make degrading remarks about the poster simply for expressing that opinion.

16. akyllonen

akyllonen Regular member

Mediocre compared to what???? Show a couple scans or list PIF errors comparing them to a Memorex (CMC) you used. A poor scan can be attributed to many things including....

1) User's system inadequate
    2) Multitasking while burning
    3) Bad batch of blanks
    4) Burning above 4x
    5) Fake Media
    6) many other reasons....

What is the excuse here....nothing bad is taken out...pretty much nothing but glowing remarks here for TY's. Do you think aD censors GOOD posts on Memorex? No. (Maybe they should though!)

We "punish" posts like this because they make people lose money, time, and patience. We all come here to learn new things and share previous learnings. If one person with 10 burns thinks he has it figured out that Memorex is as good as Ty's and Verbs why should we NOT steer people (who want to learn) in the right direction?

List the link and I'll check it out. I have scanned nearly 100 discs, the majority TY's(TYG02, FUJI TY's, SONY TY's) plus some Verbs, Riteks, Maxell and CMC. I'll gladly give some input if you still need it.

Again I'll ask....Why NOT spend 40c for a good disc with near 100% success instead of 25-30c for a junk Benq CMC disc. Where is that saving you money???
    DVD Original plus TY backup ~$15.40
    DVD Original plus CMC-MAG Backup ~$15.25
    [bold]Congrats to those in the CMC camp you just saved 1% on you total cost!!! Now that's penny pinching![/bold]

17. gear79

gear79 Guest

everyone is entitled to their own opinion in here, but giving [bold]bad advice[/bold] is not good, especially to the new comers.
    no one is here to punish or bash you, but giving bad advice will surely get others fired up toward you... we are not here, as a whole, to steer you wrong or give you bad advice, but to help and guide you in making wise decisions. imagine this, if you had backed up your entire hard drive or even family videos or data, and later on, you wanted to pull out that ole cmc mag media, and you get nothing but garbage, all your info/data is corrupt... you'd be sorry then.
    i second that !!
    i do believe that creaky knows a thing or three here !
    i'll back these guys up 100%
    now, on a personal note, i am fairly new to afterdawn, 2 months now, buti have learned tremendous amounts of information and knowledge, from this site alone....
    everyone in here will help you and guide you, but giving bad advice will surely get people fired up toward you. i am willing to bet, your mailbox will be full of replies, from this thread alone.
    but, like it was stated earlier, it's [bold]your[/bold] money, do with it as you please...
    good luck

18. fxd2002

fxd2002 Member

OK the mediastore has 100 TY's DVD+R 8X for $44.00 plus shipping. Now here is my question. I have been putting labels on the last 300-400 backups. I am hearing that is a terrible thing to do. Why? What type of disk from TY do I need to look for to have a printer like the r200 print directly on the DVD? After talking to ya'll I guess I am going to be a die hard TY user until ya'll say different. Also is $90 a decent price for a r200. It's only job will be labels. I wish it was a Canon I have used them for years because you can refill the cartridges a REAL money saver. Thanks again guys.

19. fxd2002

fxd2002 Member

Also what about TY'S with the code TYG01 with the DVD-R 4.7GB 1X-4X Silver Lacquer finish? Sorry to be such a bother it's just I want to do t as right as I can that time. They are at the Shop4Tech store $27.90 with free shipping with coupon for 100.

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

lots of questions but here we go.

The labels can throw the dvd's out of balance for one thing and the label can come loose and get into your dvd player. Over time the glue can actually bleed into the dye layer also.

You need inkjet printable or hub printable media.

Here's a link to a place to get a complete set (6 cartridges) of compatable cartridges (every bit as good as oem IMHO) for $21.80 shipping included. http://private.abacus24-7.com/home.aspx? I recommend getting an extra black and yellow too since they get used up first. Shouldn't cost anymore for shipping if ordered all togather.

I would steer clear of shop4tech. They have been known to sell TY fakes. Some reputable online stores are supermediastore.com, rima.com, newegg.com, and meritline.com.

Mort

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.