1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Easy Guide: How To Flash Your PSP To CFW Using A Pandora Battery And A Magic Memory Stick

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by GuerillaX, Nov 22, 2008.

1. GuerillaX

GuerillaX Guest

THE EASY GUIDE: HOW TO FLASH YOUR PSP TO CFW USING PANDORA BATTERY AND A MAGIC MEMORY STICK

This is my first guide, so if I make any mistakes, I apologize.

Hi. I’m going to show you how to successfully flash your OFW PSP to CFW using a Pandora Battery and a Magic Memory Stick. If you have already made a Pandora Battery or Magic Memory Stick or both, you can just skip those stages.

WHAT IS A PANDORA BATTERY?
    A Pandora Battery is used to put your PSP into Service Mode, so that the PSP can be hard coded. When PSPs broke and people sent them to Sony, this was their main method of fixing them. When those fixed PSPs were sent back to users, Hackers studied them and found out that Sony altered the battery to put it into Service Mode to fix things.

WHAT IS A MAGIC MEMORY STICK?
    When you put a Pandora Battery into your PSP, you can’t do anything. It just puts the PSP into Service Mode, no menu, no nothing. A Magic Memory Stick [MMS] tells the PSP what to do when it is in Service Mode depending on what you put into the MMS. In these Pandora hacking cases, the MMS hard codes the PSP using the Service Mode, it opens a gateway to the insides of the PSP [code-wise].

Ok, on with it.

Requirements to flash your PSP:
    Pandora Battery
    Magic Memory Stick

PANDORA BATTERY
    For the Pandora Battery, you have two choices. One is to HARD MOD your battery to turn it into a Pandora Battery like I’m going to show you. Another is to BUY a pre-made Pandora Battery. I recommend Datel Tool Battery [around $15 to $30], or buy one from one of those online modchip stores [Google]. I bought the Datel one and that’s how I flashed mine.

MAGIC MEMORY STICK
    You can create a Magic Memory Stick using a Normal MS Duo like I’m going to show you or you buy one from one of those online modchip stores [Google].

CREATING THE PANDORA BATTERY
    Requirements:
    Your PSP battery
    Sharp Knife, or a needle or something

For a visual guide in opening your battery, watch this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vj-MAk6lfTI

Note: I tried to HARD MOD mine and broke a connector to the silver lithium thingy so BE CAREFULL. Get a sharp knife or needle. I used one of those really sharp Razor Knives I found in a toolbox. Place the knife in the gap that goes all round your batter on the side, and poke it in a little. DON’T POKE IT IN TOO FAR, because you can damage the inside circuits. You have to work your way around the WHOLE battery then snap it open.
    Now look at the circuits.
    SLIM USERS: You need to snap off/cut off this pin: http://www.picturehost.nl/showimage/9549765452.jpg
    PHAT USERS: You need to snap off/cut off this pin: http://i.my.afterdawn.com/standard/15860.jpg
    Now put your battery back together, you will need tape to hold it together properly. Stick it into you PSP and if you have successfully made a Pandora then the green light should come on and stay on with a blank screen.

CREATING THE MAGIC MEMORY STICK
    Requirements:
    Memory Stick PRO DUO
    Pandora Deluxe 2.8 [Download from PSP-HACKS]
    SONY OFW 4.01 [Download from PSP-HACKS]

Backup your MS if you want, because it will be formatted.
    Install Pandora Deluxe 2.8. Stick the Memory Stick into your PC, or connect a USB cable to your PC and your PSP and go into USB Mode.
    Open Pandora Deluxe 2.8. Select the MS Drive. OK, BE REALLY CAREFULL HERE!!! The PSP Drive you select MUST be correct otherwise you’ll lose all data on that drive if you select the wrong one.
    Now click on ‘Load 4.01 Firmware’ and find the download OFW 4.01 on your pc. Once it has been loaded, select the box next to it that says ‘Copy Firmware’. Now go the Installation Option tab and select the box that says ‘Despertar Cementerio v7’.
    Now select the box that says ‘Format + Prepare Memory Stick’ and make sure the ‘Inject IPL’ box is selected. Click START.
    Wait...wait...and wait...

Voila! You now have a Magic Memory Stick!

FLASHING YOUR PSP
    Make sure your PSP is off.
    FIRST put in your MMS. Now put in your Pandora Battery. Your PSP should either turn on, or a green light should come on and then turn off. Now turn on your PSP holding L. A menu should appear. Select ‘Install CFW 4.01 M33’ or something like that, it’ll be the option on the top. Press X.
    Wait...wait...and wait...

Hurray! You know have custom firmware installed^^

NOTE: You can use this Pandora Battery and the MMS to launch your PSP into the XMB normally; just make sure you put in the MMS FIRST, THEN the Pandora Battery. Or buy another battery. You can also convert it back to a normal battery, but I don’t know how to do that, I’m sure there is a guide on this site, so SEARCH.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2008
  2. NeonMako

NeonMako Regular member

Nice job trying to make an easy guide. I'll give you props for that.

However there's a lot of guides out there already for this stuff and I haven't seen anything in this post that makes it better then what's out there.

Things to note:
    A lot of your links don't work, you picked a very bad video from youtube for how to do a battery (I know of 2 vids that are far superior to that one), your terminology isn't defined well at parts, and the guide isn't as thorough as it should be in certain parts.

Again, was a very good guide for it being your first but maybe put that effort towards something new next time instead of something that's been done over and over already.

On a side note:
    Ironically enough I've been working on a guide myself, however it's taken me quite a while to get where it's at and I'm still not close to being done (have to redo the damn video's I made).

You'll see what I mean when it gets posted...hopefully before the end of the month.

Take care.

3. GuerillaX

GuerillaX Guest

@NeonMako

Ok, thanks a lot for the advice, I've changed some of the links that work now and I'm looking for a better vid on Youtube.
    I know it's been done over and over again, but not quite the Magic Memory Stick, because there are a very few guides on how to do with by just using a PC program, and i've seen lot people confused over in that UVV3 method thread.
    Thanks again.
    Take Care^^

4. Miyak

Miyak Member

Hello,

Recently a friend bought a PSP-2010 and took it to some guy to get it flashed.

He told me this guy tried to use a battery (which im assuming was a Pandora) and a memory stick (which I assume was a magic memory stick) but the PSP wouldnt go past a black screen when turned on. So he was told that his PSP was unflashable.

When he told me what happened I felt curious and decided to come here and ask around if there is such a thing as unflashable PSP-2010.

Thank you!

5. jimbob60

jimbob60 Member

when i get the the magicstick part i hit start and i get this:
    problem with ipl.ddp

there has been an unexpected problem. Stoping instillation

and heres the log:
    Starting Installation...
    Software Version: v3.1
    Target Firmware: M33 FW

Formatting the Memory Stick... SUCCESS
    Installing the IPL... FAILED

eney hepl would be grate :)

6. bmillion

bmillion Member

will this work with the psp-300x series?

7. GuerillaX

GuerillaX Guest

don't use the 3.1 version of Pandora Deluxe, it gives IPL problems for some reasons. instead use version 2.8, which is the one i use

8. GuerillaX

GuerillaX Guest

nope

9. bmillion

bmillion Member

:( too bad i have 1

10. GuerillaX

GuerillaX Guest

hackers have nearly fully exploited the psp 3000 so you'll be able to flash it soon

11. jimbob60

jimbob60 Member

well i thought i had that lol i went to [psphacks.com] and there link for 2.8 leads to 3.1 for there download so do you know where i could get the dl for 2.8? if not ima bout to uses google cuz google is my friend :)

12. GuerillaX

GuerillaX Guest

http://dl.qj.net/PSP-Pandora-Deluxe-v2.8-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/24952/catid/151

13. jimbob60

jimbob60 Member

thanks i had allready found it tho lol but im having a problem i have a bricked fat psp-1001 and when i turn it on nothing but the green light comes on so i went and got a pandoras batt and now still nothing made the magic stick put it in and then put the batt in but all that happons is that the green light comes on and the screen is pitch black like as if it wer off um... do you thank you could help?