Problem The End of Bluray and optical disks for consumer market

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Sophocles, Jul 17, 2024.

1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I find this a little troubling because whenever I do a new PC build I still look for a case with optical drive bays. Also M-Discs are technically nothing more than high quality BDRs, so does that mean they too will be removed from the consumer market.

Sony along with Panasonic, Philips, and Toshiba pioneered the consumer recordable DVD format, an innovation that along with PC building and video transcoding/reencoding led many of us to join AD. Where does it all go from here?

https://www.afterdawn.com/news/arti...-cease-production-of-recordable-blu-ray-discs

2. aldan

aldan Active member

yeah,it is troubling. i still burn a lot of cds.lot easier to navigate in the car than a 60gb usb stick.lol.not ready to give up this tech just yet.

Sophocles likes this.
  3. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Interesting thing is that companies are now issuing compilations of well known rock groups on CD and Blu-ray, as a group.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I don't think the change affects commercial creation of CD and BDR, just consumer use. When Sony invented the Beta Max, U.S TV companies took them to court to block the technology (Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc.). Sony fought UCS, and won which lead to the concept of fair use. Sony is now heavily invested in the entertainment and gaming industries that financially suffered because of their own CD/DVD/BDR tech. So much for fair use. :D

5. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

My Apevia X-Jupiter case has a bunch of bays for optical drives and extra hard drives (if one is using a hard drive). It is a beast in size though.

6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

You have to think about it in a different way. Look at it like this. How much longer are your things like dvd players and cd players realistically going to last?.. 10 years is a good average for a reasonable quality one wouldn't you say (Very few people are lucky enough to have a 1984 made Proton CD player, and those of us who do have issues with them like occasional skipping and refusing to eject.. lol) and how many disks do you burn in say a year?.. So get out there and start hoovering up those tag ends of burnable media while you can.. say 10 years worth.. As very few people want the stuff have a look for clearance bulk buys, but watch out for CMC-Mag junk.. The pallet of Phillips I got are Moser-Bauer and excellent