1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THE FOG....(for those that need help.. here's a flawless method by Alkohol)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by alkohol, Jan 25, 2006.

1. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

<><> Alkohol's VobBlanker method to successfully rip and backup "The FOG" <><>

No AnyDVD, no DVD43, no hustle, no black screen, no glitches whatsoever, always 100% success.

Alright, since there are tons of threads in here are having issues left to right about "The FOG", I've decided to make this simple guide, specifically for Newbies, or those that don't have AnyDVD or those that needed helps only. Yes, THE FOG has the latest Sony's protection just like "THE CAVE", it has an error of "not compressable" when you're trying to "transcode/compress" with DVD Shrink or Nero Recode 2 even if you've successfully ripped the movie into your hard drive by DVDFAB Decrypter or DVD Decrypter. To solve this problem, here's what you need to do.

<><> TOOLS NEEDED <><>
    <> DVDFAB Decrypter 2.9.6.8 http://www.dvdidle.com/download/DVDFabDecrypter29.exe
    or higher http://www.dvdidle.com/free.htm
    <> VobBlanker 2.1.0.0 http://members.aol.com/posunplugged/jsoto/VobBlanker_2100_exe.zip
    <> DVD Shrink or Nero Recode 2 (your choice)

*NOTE: this guide is to backup the movie (THE FOG) that you owned only.

*NOTE: I've tested and played my backup and YES, it worked 100% flawlessly, watched the whole movie, no black screen, no glitches whatsoever. If you follow this guide carefully, meaning make "no mistakes" then you'll have a working "full disc" backup within roughly 50 - 70 minutes (depends on your computer specs).

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: my advise to you (anyone) is TURN OFF AnyDVD, DVD43 or other cracking engines if you have them on your system -- it's for the BEST. Make sure you don't have/run AnyDVD, DVD43 or any kind of other cracking engines on the background when you're ripping the movie with DVDFAB Decrypter and when you're "processing" the VIDEO_TS.IFO file through VobBlanker 2.1.0.0. Because if you had AnyDVD, DVD43 or other cracking engines running, then you are likely to end up with some kind of errors like "unsynchronized VOB, invalid data structure, your final files of the VIDEO_TS is smaller (1 - 2 GB), missing parts or scenes of the movie, invalid VTS, etc." I've been using VobBlanker roughly 5 months now and I've never seen/experienced such issues whatsoever. VobBlanker has never let me down, it has been "processing craps/junks, dummy cells/pgcs or encrypted sectors" with 100% of success for me, once the movie/dvd is ripped into the hard drive via DVDFAB Decrypter or DVD Decrypter.

<><><> STEP 1 <><><>
    **Rip the movie (THE FOG) with DVDFAB Decrypter 2.9.6.8**

*NOTE: make a folder in your hard drive name THE FOG and a sub-folder name VIDEO_TS inside THE FOG, then EXIT out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

**NOTE: if you're trying to "transcode/compress" with Nero Recode 2 or DVD Shrink, IT WON'T WORK because of the new protection or bad/fake encrypted cells. Look at pictures for reference:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<><><> STEP 2 <><><>
    **Process and filter out craps/junks (bad/fake/dummy cells) with VobBLanker 2.1.0.0**

*NOTE: make a folder name VOBBLANKER FOG and a sub-folder name VIDEO_TS inside VOBBLANKER FOG, or you can called it anything you want, just remember that's all*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

**NOTE: VERY IMPORTANT HERE, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BLANK ANY VTS or PGCS, THEN JUST FOLLOW THIS STEP BELOW and SKIP THE ABOVE STEP.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<><><> STEP 3 <><><>
    **Transcoding and compressing with Nero Recode 2**

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it... easy as sippin' on some Hennessey. Again, if you've followed this guide and you still have some kind of issues regarding any "invalid VTS or similar", then it is obvious that you're doing something little off or maybe you've missed out something.

MAKE SURE you have the latest from DVDFAB Decrypter 2.9.6.8 or higher and VobBlanker 2.1.0.0 -- I've tested and confirmed that it worked 100% flawlessly, not only just THE FOG, but Dark Water, Red Eye, FlightPlan, Wedding Crashers, The Great Raid, Madagascar, Brothers Grimm, THE CAVE, Valiant, Stealth, Lord of War, Sky High, etc.

Good luck!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  2. shagwell

shagwell Member

Alkohol...

your methods are great. I was able to backup Madagascar with no problem following the directions.

How long does it take you to run your files through VOBBLanker? It took me approx an hour which seemed like a long time.

3. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

I'm glad I could help and you were able to have a success backup. It takes roughly 10 - 12 minutes for me to run and process through VobBLanker.

4. kidburn

kidburn Member

Alcohol

I'm new to VobBlanker, as more and more movies haven't worked for me. Your step by step was very easy to follow so thanks !! Just wondering if you could help me understand what all it allows you to do. How do you know what items to "blank" ? Can you also use this to take out previews while keeping scene selection? Just wondering if this is the same as "re-authoring" in shrink.

Thanks in advance !

5. kidburn

kidburn Member

Alkohol

Me again -

Processed The Fog just as you described but when I use shrink compression is at 99%. Never had this porblem, is there I setting on shrink I'm missing ??

Thanks again

6. ODEN1

ODEN1 Member

alkhol,
    i just used your step by step and ran in to some problems. all my programs are up to date. after vob2100 is done i wind up with no errors and 28 warnings in vts 01. i have run this process 3 times and have same problem. shrink says invalad data vts 01_01 vob
    Thanks in advance

7. maximus30

maximus30 Member

alkohol when using the vob blanker for this movie or other movies how do you now which vts files to blank

TY

8. bbrain

bbrain Member

hey kidburn,

I just ran into the same problem. Try running a deep analysis (File -> Deep Analysis) in DVDShrink. I just did it and it seems to have recalibrated itself. Haven't burnt yet but everything looks normal again.

Cheers!

9. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Honestly, I don't know how you end up with those errors and warnings.

Like I said, if you followed everything correctly and all if you're using them tools I'd suggested/mentioned, then there shouldn't be any issues at all. Try to restart everything over and see what's your new results.

Good luck!!

10. nycdude

nycdude Member

Alkohol,

I have to give kudos to a person who makes our lives a whole lot easier. Your guides are first rate. I will follow this when I get this movie. Too bad you don't have one for Flightplan. ;) LOL

Continue the awesome work.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  11. RonNasty

RonNasty Member

I followed everything as well. VOB-blanker gives me 1 error. I get the "invalad data vts 01_01 vob" too when I try DVDShrink.
    - One other thing I noticed is that I only have 6.09 gigs after rip with DVDFAB.

( Still I did learn a few things Alkohol-- thanks! )

12. hazardrox

hazardrox Member

when i process the files from VobBlanker i only get 4.3 Gigs. What am i doing wrong?

13. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

To whom may concern:

Again, I don't know why you guys are having issues with DVD Shrink or when process with VobBLanker 2.1.0.0. If everything is done right, then you should not be getting any problems or any smaller GB of the movie whatsoever.

My advice is... if you have any kind of cracking engines like DVD43, AnyDVD or something similar, then turn it OFF or if you DID NOT ripped the movie with DVDFAB Decrypter 2.9.6.8, then IT WON'T WORK with VobBLanker period. This guide is specifically for those that DON'T have AnyDVD or any other cracking engines only.

Good luck!!

14. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@maximus30

I've been using VobBLanker for roughly 5 mos or at least 4 months now and I can easily tell which PGCs or Cells is the bad/fake/dummy cells. I usually "blank" them out, plus those 2 annoying fbi warning craps. Most of the times, I used VobBLanker to "cut" and "blank" out some of those useless "previews/trailers" if I'm backing up any movie, but since this simple guide is for Newbies and those that are new to VobBLanker, I just go the easy route with a 1, 2, 3 steps only. However, I do like to have the "full disc" plus the "menu" though.

The truth is... if it's less than a minute or something similar, but when you play/preview it and there is nothing related to the movie at all whatsoever, then it is SAFE to blank out that certain cell or pgc. However, if I can't tell/find any dummy/fake cells at all using my head, then I'll have PgcEdit to find it for me and I'll just blank those pgcs/cells that's inside those suspected VTS that PgcEdit warned me of carrying/having a protected/bad sectors or cells.

Good luck!!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  15. ecknight

ecknight Regular member

hey alkohol here is a copy of the log file during vob 01 i followed ur steps word for word and my origional source file was 7.23 gigs and i still got no errors and 28 warnings

edited for viewing pleasure lol

i havnt tried to use shrink yet but ill let u know

well shrink says invalid data

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  16. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@ecknight

Something is not right on your VobBLanker's log, it's too short. You have tons of "WARNINGS", plus I didn't see any "BLANKING on VTS 23, VTS 24, VTS 25 and VTS 26 at all". Notice how it showed on mine? I, on the other hand, have NO ERRORS, NO WARNINGS whatsoever. Below is my VobBLanker's log from THE FOG, maybe you or others that were having problems can reference or compare my log to theirs.

Well, here's my VobBLanker 2.1.0.0 log:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  17. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

Alkohol

I have AnyDVD and CloneDVD2, as well as Recode2 and DVDFab Decrypter. I backed this up flawlessly with AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. My reason for posting is to say that you are putting out some excellent guides for Newbies and those that don't have the Slysoft combo... Keep up the great work!!!

18. ecknight

ecknight Regular member

hey alkohol i only posted the part that gave me a warning but i got it fixed the problem was that i wasnt paying attention and left dvd43 running in the background but when i closed it and tried again it worked flawless so thanks for the tutorial

19. shagwell

shagwell Member

I used VobBlanker again last night and it took over an hour to fully process.

Is it taking anyone else this long? Are there some settings on my computer that i need to change to make it run faster?

20. toshin

toshin Member

Alkohol - Thanks for the tips... This works! Those of you with troubles: Get an updated DVDShrink and AnyDVD is a good idea. BLANK those VOBs, dont just click them. You can preview the VOB in the VOB pane to know WHICH VOBs need to go... I havent met a DVD (that I own) that I couldnt back-up.... thanks for keeping me at 100% !!!!