1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The hard disk cannot be accessed

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by dellboyjones3, Jun 7, 2010.

1. dellboyjones3

dellboyjones3 Member

Hi, big problem here. I have the CECH-L01 40g PS3; I took out the hard drive (don't ask me why), and formatted it to FAT32 with the PC; I replaced it in the PS3, and now everytime it boots it tells me "the system software cannot be run correctly" and it asks me to reinstall the system update. I tried to do so, it finds the update on the usb and "prepares" to install it, after 100% it boots and goes back to "please reinstall system update".

In safe mode, I tried the first options (rebuild files, database, etc), it just booted back to the same problem. When I try "restore PS3 system", it tells me "the hard disk cannot be accessed".

I used EASEUS Partition Master; when I first took the drive out of the PS3 it showed the drive as unallocated space. I tried creating FAT32 partitions, fully erasing the drive (not quick format), nothing works... I'm starting to panic!

Please note, this is the original hdd, and it isn't fried,Iv run chkdsk & I can still access it fine in Win7. Please help, any thought would be appreciated!

2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Plug it into the pc, then open command prompt.

Type "diskpart"
    Type "list disk" - get the disk number for the drive we are cleaning.
    Type "select disk 1" - if the disk is not #1, change this accordingly.
    Type "clean"
    Type "create partition primary"
    Type "select partition 1"
    Type "active"
    Type "assign"
    Type "exit"
    Type "exit"

3. dellboyjones3

dellboyjones3 Member

O MY FREEKING WORD....now I dont claim to be a noob at electronincs & IT,maybe forums but I have spent nearly a week searching for the same related problem only to go round in circles and subsequently nearly threw my PS3 out, Id had enough....

BUT

KILLERBUG,my main man...eesh you are the champ !!!!

woooo hoooooo

Im gonna copy and paste this over the 6 main threads Iv had active for a week trying to fix this(many people will be happy).

simple,followed instructions and boof like magic it works like the beauty I first brought..

Id kiss your feet if you were in front of me right now.
    Killerbug for President..

Mucho mucho obliged my friend.

4. ddemaree

ddemaree Member

I just had to get on here to praise KillerBug. I've had this 500gb hdd sittin since christmas because for the life of me I couldn't figure the problem out. Nothing I tried worked, no matter how I formatted it or left it un-allocated. I must have called SCEA 20 times just tryin to get thru. Explaining to them my ps3 is not broken and didnt need repaired, that i was upgrading a drive. So I seen it sittin today and thought, why not. I tried again only to revisit the demons of my past. Called SCEA yet another couple times, searched forums for the answer and FINALLY found this thread. I must admit I was skeptical but its not like I had anything to lose. So i yet again popped it out of the ps3. Followed the instructions ans wala. Installing the os as I write this. You are the greatest KillerBug. If I was sony i'd hire you in a heartbeat. props.

And thank you for my new and improved 500gb ps3 :)

5. alvin2014

alvin2014 Newbie

hi guys ,i have 2 ps3,one working fine,one giving HDD error,try changing the hdd,still not working,i couldnt even format it in the ps3 that were having problems,so i was able to format and install software version 4.65 on the drive using the ps3 that wer working ,so now i know both hdd is fine,butt when i put the hdd in the other ps3 it says system software cannot run coerrectly,tried restore default settings and it says hatrd disk cannot be accessed,do you think its a hard ware problem??

6. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

you cannot remove one hard drive from one ps3 and place it in one from another the hard drives are locked to the console

7. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Yes, that is true, but the PS3 should still be able to access the harddrive and ask for a system update (Harddrive needs to be formattet and so on). With alvin's PS3 I would say it's a hardware error. And I'd say it's a hardware error on the PS3, because the harddrive seems to be ok.

8. star59_mcun4

star59_mcun4 Newbie

I tried this, formatted the disk and still the same thing. Please help.