1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Nero Burning ROM in Nero8 doesn't work with Shrink.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by PacMan777, Oct 29, 2007.

1. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Thank you and flattery will get you a brew at the pub (tavern, bar, roadhouse, or whatever), if our paths ever cross in the real world. LOL IDs required for light shavers.

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

lol I don't drink so an unsweetened iced tea with lemon will be fine

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Tea it is. I don't know if lemon goes with Long Island Iced Tea or not. LOL After one or two a non drinker wouldn't care much anyway. LOL

4. akoch72

akoch72 Guest

Got another question for you guys. I am a teacher and I have a valid subscription to united video streaming. Here we can download educational videos. I use to be able to download them and burn them with Nero 7 on my old pc with XP. It is temporarily out of commision because I'm stupid. Anyway with my Vista pc I tried this and I cannot get nero 7 to work right and Nero 8 doesn't burn the video file and I don't know how to do it manually. So I downloaded Imgburn, I still cannot get these videos to burn correctly. The files are .ask files which tells me nothing but I am hoping one of you knows what I am talking about. How can I burn these onto a dvd for my class to play in an actual dvd player and not on my computer? Please help. :)

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Nero 8 still has most of what Nero 7 contained, with additions. That said, to play ask files on a DVD player entails the ask files be converted to DVD. Some players nowadays will also play VCD, DivX, and other formats. Still, you're looking at conversion. Since you have Nero, try using Nero Vision to open the ask files. If it successfully processes the files, it should convert to DVD without a hitch. I use Nero Vision and ConvertXtoDVD for most of my file conversions, but I've not dealt with the ask format before?

By the way, Nero Vision is a straight forward app. Select Nero Vision from the program list in Nero, locate the source files by browsing, once found open and proceed to process. Nero Vision also burns, so no need to go to Nero Express or the Burning ROM (unless you want to save your output to the hard drive and burn later).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  6. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

ask files is a new one to me too

7. jagman55

jagman55 Member

I got an inquiry about using IMGBURN with DVDShrink and they are having problems.

This all came from Pacman777 but am re-wording it.
    To get DVDShrink to use IMGBURN, instead of Nero 8, here is another version of instructions.

If you are still having problems,
    go to: http://www.imgburn.com/ OR look for it on this forum.
    INSTALL IT

you need to download the ZIP file from: http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/DVD_Shrink_3_2_b_w_IB.zip

Unzip and inside there is a
    1. Instruction text file
    2. dvdshrink32setup.exe YOU need to INSTALL now.
    3. a folder containing: DVD_Shrink_w ImgBrun Feature.
    4. Inside is a file DVD Shrink 3.2.exe

This is the special EXE of DVD Shrink that will LOOK for IMGBURN INSTEAD of NERO.
    Copy and overwrite in the C:\Program Files\DVD Shrink folder. and REPLACE.

That is it. EXE you just copied and replaced, will look for IMGBURN instead of NERO.

Hope this helps.

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

it should look like this if you load it right ,it will have a nero as an option along with imgburn but not dvd decrypter

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Zoso
    What time of night did you write that? ;) The picture shows Nero listed. You still have the Nero option. Nero 5 through 7 still works the way they're supposed to. What you no longer have is DVD Decrypter as a supported burner.

The new Shrink exe looks for ImgBurn (upgraded DVD Decrypter software by same authour, LUK) instead of DVD Decrypter. The only relation to Nero 8 is that Shrink can't use it correctly (the new Shrink exe or the one it replaced). Somehow the Burning ROM function of Nero 8 is called up incorrectly by Shrink. Whether intentional or not, Nero changed something in their program that makes it incompatible with Shrink as a supported burner. That doesn't stop Nero 8 from still being a good burner for use with Shrink output. The differece is that the files need to be saved to the hard drive and manually burned from there using Nero 8. Just takes a bit more user input.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  10. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

lol Pacman77 it was late i got up and let the dog in and didn't finish my post so i edited it thanks

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOL I almost asked what you were smoking; but that would have been too personal. LOL Don't feel alone, I get groggy and make some serious errors myself. Grog being the operative word. LOL

12. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

lol i totally forget i even hit reply after letting the dog in. thats what happens when your posting at 3 or 4 in the morning i guess lol

13. wolfmanz

wolfmanz Regular member

Slightly off topic, but it seems the developer of DVD Srink is working on a new project and looking for feedback at Doom9.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=137425

The Nero 8 bug is not related to Shrink.

If have any other known bugs or issues with Shrink please report them.

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

What bug? Nero 8 simply isn't supported by Shrink, whether intentional or accidental on the part of Nero. I contacted Nero and their response is they don't support Shrink. Shrink's author stopped support well before Nero 8 was available. So it seems Nero and Shrink have parted ways. It's said Shrink's author is employed by Nero, so the move may have been intentional to disassociate the programs. After all, Nero has Recode which is a clone of DVD Shrink.

Dvdshrink is still saying no new Shrink updates. I suspect the reason being copyright infringement. The new project, whatever it is, appears to have nothing to do with Shrink. Don't you love it when they say "new project" and don't tell what it is.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  15. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@PacMan777
    wolfmanz is referring to the post DVD Shrink made a doom9 - where he's asking for feedback and problems w/ Shrink - not just w/ Nero.

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Binkie

I know. I saw the posts at Doom 9. They discussed mostly newer DVD protection schemes and a some of the internal flaws with Shrink. Nothing that would bother the average user. I wonder where dvdshrink has been the past few years that he didn't know about ARccOS and the other copy protection programs?

It should be apparent that Nero not supporting Shrink with the Burning ROM in Nero 8 is intentional. They had to rewrite internal code so the programs in Nero could call up the Burning ROM. Easy enough to do, but it puts older programs that lost support at a loss to call up the new version. Anyone think a business wouldn't take an easy way to remove a little bit of competition? Nero's Recode and Shrink are so similar they have to share some of the same programing code, whether borrowed or the same author involved in developing both. It's amazing that about the same time the last Shrink was introduced with the Quality controls that the same were introduced in Nero's Recode. Plus there was a handy little tool available to change Quality settings for Recode instead of having to change settings manually in the program files. That program offered the same controls for Recode as did the manual settings, similar to Shrink. Coincidence?

I'm wondering if the new project has something to do with Recode.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  17. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Not a coincidence :)

DVD Shrink's new project may having something to do with Recode but I think that is doubtful since Shrink was asking about copy protection. I can't image Nero would never really associate Recode with having anything to do with removing copy protection.
    Back in the day when they weren't as large as they are now my guess is the association w/ Shrink helped them.
    Today though with Germany's copy protection laws and their growth it doesn't surprise me that this association has been severed.

18. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

It's good to know that Nero 6.0 Ultra installed on my new XP pc and was easily upgraded to 6.6.0.18.I'll never updatre that wonderful software. Cut off is end of June for sale of new XP loaded pcs.

However canon was not so nice in zoom browser upgrade for camera. Drats!

19. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g Member

Has NERO been aware of this problem and are they going to correct this problem. I actually purchased Nero 8 for the new features and I don't like to go back to Nero 7.

I PURCHASE DVDShrink because I was under the impression that it worked with Nero 8. Can I get a refund for DVDShrink? The FREE version works flawlessly.
    Thank You.

20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

No problem and no bug. Nero 8 simply doesn't work with DVD Shrink.
    According to Nero there is no problem with Nero 8. Nero doesn't support Shrink and Shrink lost support before Nero 8 was introduced. It's as though the two programs, Nero 8 and DVD Shrink, have nothing to do with each other. Nero 7 was the last version to work as a supported burner with DVD Shrink. You can still save Shrink output to the hard drive and burn manually.

If you purchased DVD Shrink, ask for a refund. It's always been free. Anyone selling DVD Shrink is ripping people off.