1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Nero Burning ROM in Nero8 doesn't work with Shrink.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by PacMan777, Oct 29, 2007.

1. jagman55

jagman55 Member

I rarely have a problem with Shrink/imgburn but do you know of any other program that "shrinks" a DVD? DVDFab just splits doesn't it?

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

all the info you need is here ,READ !!

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/622748

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

4. JohnTango

JohnTango Member

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

JohnTango,
    Was there a question or was that a comment? ;)

6. JohnTango

JohnTango Member

Its funny really..As I never wrote the things in the box above at all..The things I wrote regarding Nero 8 and shrink were completely different..where has it dissapeard to??? perhaps this Forum software isnt working now..lol..Anyway Shrink and Nero "7" work great..burning manually takes 5 times longer...:)

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

It's been mentioned that Shrink was originally written with the Nero Burning Rom as a supported burner along with DVD Decrypter and CopyToDVD. Nero 5, 6, and 7 work. Nero changed Nero 8 in how the software opens the Burning Rom. Shrink as we know has long since lost support, so no updates to correct for Nero's program change in 8. Nero isn't responsible for supporting Shrink, so they aren't. End of story.

5 times longer to burn a DVD manually? That's strange. The software takes about 10 minutes to do a burn at 6X. Does that mean 50 minutes if I do it manually? I suspect a bit of hyperbole here. LOL I can open a file in Express and start the burn in a minute or so. I don't see why Nero owners aren't using Recode anyway. Recode is basically the same program as Shrink.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  8. JohnTango

JohnTango Member

Well I must be doing it wrong then because when I use shrink it takes about 10 minutes to burn the disc after the encoding.....but If I open up the "shrunk" files with nero from the appropriatre location it goes through all of the recoding and recreatesan image and can take in some instances over an hour to do this process including the burning...So I dont know what I am doing wrong then..but I am not Hyping things up>>:)

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The primary purpose for Shrink is to transcode DVD files to fit the target disc. Transcoding and burning (whether manual or with a supported burner) is going to take longer than just the burning process by itself. For instance if you're doing a video of about 7GB, it has to be transcoded and then burned. Usually you end up doing at least the 3 basic steps if using a DVD5 as the target. Decrypt and bypass copy protection, transcode, and burn are those steps. Whether the burner is supported or not you have to do the copy protection and transcoding. If you do the first 2 steps and then burn with a supported burner you'll save a minute or so because Shrink will open the burner for you in seconds. Since Nero 8 isn't supported, those wanting to use it with Shrink have to burn manually. That doesn't change the amount of time it takes to do the first steps. The difference is the user has to save the transcoded files to the HDD. If you use the same burning speed, the burn speed doesn't change. That's a set function taking the same time when using the same speed. The only variation in time is how long it takes the user to open the burning program to start the burn. How long does that take? That should be the only variable that changes the time between doing the backup with a supported burner or doing the job manually. If it takes an excessive amount of time over the time to do the task with a supported burner, then something is going wrong or being done wrong.

From what you say, your nero software is doing more than just burning, "all of the recoding and recreatesan image..." Which Nero program are you using? The Shrink files should already be prepped for the burn when saved to the HDD; so burning is all you should be doing manually using Express or the Burning ROM.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

What application in Nero are you opening to burn the Shrink shrunk files? Just open the files in Nero burning Rom and burn them and as pacman stated the burn time will be the same.
    And also as paccy said why the hell aren't you using NeroRecode and ditch shrink. It becomes a one click operation like Shrink used to be. JM2C

11. JohnTango

JohnTango Member

Well thats been the problem..I have being using Smart start and then using the "make your own dvd-video" section and it goes through the whole process...thats why its taken so long ..But I have tried the burning rom a few moments ago and it dosent seem to recognise the " shrink" dvd files in my c drive.Can you give me few hints on how to go about it as It had start Multisession disc and when I opend the file there was nothing there for it to recognise..if you know what Im trying to say..As you can tell....Im no expert..:)

12. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g Member

Can you explain how to do a "manual burn" with nero 8? What do you mean by HDD (Hard Disk)? I've been using Nero 7 and about six months ago upgraded to Nero 8. I'm a newbie to burning. I've always use DVD Shrink wit Nero 7.

13. JohnTango

JohnTango Member

Ok Well I have burnt one disc using shrink and then the automatic burning with Nero..So now I want to burn those files manually..with Nero burning rom and when I try to open them, they are not recognised by the rom...Whats HAppening any ideas...All I can do is open the saved shrink files with" make your own dvd-video" from smart start and it takes ages with analising etc..at least an hour..???? any clues..Thanks

14. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

15. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@John Tango

Loco is right on about his advice. he's given you three ways. I can do all three and suggest you learn all three too. But I mainly use Nero Recode and it's one click-start to finished burned disc.

ImgBurn is excellent for any file burning and especially DL discs.

16. mzhelfire

mzhelfire Member

Ok so i am totally new to thins whole burning thing. I've been at it for the last 2 days and still can't get it right. Here is the problem I'm having. I have a pc with vista ultimate I downloaded dvd shrink & have nero 8 for burn softwear. everytime I copy a dvd it burns it off no problem even plays on my pc but when putting it into a dvd player to play it sounds like it is taking forever to read the dvd then finally plays a couple of the previews then skips to the end of the movie and repeats over and over. I also downloaded ImgBurn and got the same results.

I've been here reading the forums all day so I now know that Nero 8 and dvd shrink are not compatable. What I want to know is if either of these are the correct process cause I don't want to waste any more dvd's and I'm starting to get frustrated.

A.) Use dvd shrink to transcode the dvd I want to copy, save it to the hard drive then use nero 8 expressto burn it? (but i'm not even sure if I have this on my pc)

B.) Re-install dvd shrink so it defaults and works correctly with ImagBurn using this download?

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/DVD_Shrink_3_2_b_w_IB.zip

Do I need a decryption program, if so which one to you suggest? and is there a way to fix the dvds that i already burned so that they will work in my dvd player not just on my pc or are thoes dvd's a lost cause and should i trash them?

I feel like such a tech tard right now can someone please help and let me know if I am on the right path and if not steer me in the right direction?

Thank you!

17. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

right click the dvd shrink icon on you're desktop go to properties then click the "Compatibility" tab and make sure you have the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" windows Vista checked!

A.) Use dvd shrink to transcode the dvd I want to copy, save it to the hard drive then use nero 8 expressto burn it? (but i'm not even sure if I have this on my pc)

B.) Re-install dvd shrink so it defaults and works correctly with ImgBurn using this download?

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/DVD_Shrink_3_2_b_w_IB.zip[/quote]

forget nero 8 just use imgburn,you can use that link and download dvd shrink so it autoburns with imgburn or use the version you have and "Create An Image to the HDD" then burn with imgburn

dvd shrink does decrypt but hasn't updated in years and won't do alot of the newer movie. sooo a better process is to use dvdfab decrypter to rip, dvd shrink to transcode and imgburn to burn. the dvds that you have that won't play on your standalone dvd player are unfixable. the reason they won't play on your dvd player can be caused by a couple things. 1. using poor quality media like memorex etc. and 2. burning at to fast a speed. you don't mention what brand you used and the burn speed???

ok very important use good quality media like Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim or Sony burning at 6x to 8x max. the disc format plays a role also if you are using the DVD plus R format booktyping to DVD-ROM may help playback or just use the DVD dash R format.

ok here is a link for all the info you need,software options and guides to use the programs to backup your dvds!! read!!

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/622748

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/673257

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  18. mzhelfire

mzhelfire Member

ZoSoIV -

Thanks so much for all the pointers! I went through all the post on here last night and after much frustration I finally tried the exact combo you mentioned here and it worked! I didn't see your post till this morning, but you are right on the money!

I am using maxell dvds to burn on to and I was using the default burn speed, but last night I think I used a 1x speed on the disc i burned successfully. I know now that my problem was the dvd shrink & nero 8 being un-compatable.

I'm pretty sure I did this but I'll double check tonight:

I tried this link but for some reason when I down loaded it dvd shrink never made imgburn the default. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, so I just saved the movie files to the hard drive and went from there.

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/DVD_Shrink_3_2_b_w_IB.zip

I'll check out the links you posted for more pointers. I'm finally getting this!

Thanks You!!!!!!!

19. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Regular member

sure great hope all works out

you can and should burn faster than 1x though 4x at min. and 8x max.

also make sure you have the most up to date fiemware for your drive/burner

20. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@mzhelfire

you are correct I tried to install that link, ShrinkIB, and there was no option for a burn with IMGBurn!

Edit: I figured it out. Install the regular shrink program and then use the shortcut from the Skrink burn with IB fold. It opens shrink and allows the option for creating ISO and Burn with ImgBurn. BUT you got to come back and start the ImgBurn program and select the drive. You can't just start shrink and end up with a disc. There is no option to selct the drive with blank media in it and set it to burn automatically. I hope I am wrong. Am I ZOSO? If right what's the point. I can use recode (better upgrade of shrink)and autoburns with NeroBurningRom not that bad of a proggy. Recode can do the same with ImgBurn but you have to open program and select file. Only advantage I see is ImgBurn justs opens but has to be set up. JM2C

Even DVDFab doesn't have it right. You have to start ImgBurn when it's ready to burn. But with Nero burning for fab it's automatic.

Edit2: There's just something about pushing one button and then writing on the dvd with a sharpie.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008