1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The OFFICIAL best media thread (noobs MUST look in 1st page, 1st post before posting redundant posts!!)

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by LiquidusX, Oct 4, 2005.

1. pimpinIT

pimpinIT Regular member

I just bought some Taiyo Yudens and i must say they even look of a higher quality than Verbatim, lightweight and manufactured well. Have yet to try one yet.

2. Glitched

Glitched Guest

Light weight-How the helppp do you measure weight of cds????

3. Jasper44

Jasper44 Regular member

Best Buy has plenty of good media, it is just more expensive then online, except when it is on sale. The last 2 weeks they had good Sony's with nice white tops and not a lot of brand and crap like that on them but those arent on sale anymore. This week they have Fuji's on sale for 25 pack for 10 bucks after instant rebate. They are good media(the ones made in Japan...look on the package for where they are made...the Taiwan's are a no-no).

4. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Yeah Sony, Maxell, TDK, Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, and Phillips are decent. Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are excellent. You can pick up decent media in most stores, just avoid the Memorex and Imitation laser killers.

5. LiquidusX

LiquidusX Regular member

taiyo yuden own all those media imo

6. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Do they literally own all those brands, or do you mean TY is head and shoulders above the rest? Also I think I will pick up a BenQ burner, which do you recommend, the 1620 or 1640?

7. halfhere

halfhere Regular member

lets not forget, that you were once a "noob", so before you go yelling at us "noobs" take into account that you are yelling at yourself too..

8. Jasper44

Jasper44 Regular member

Well when he was a n00b he probably used the SEARCH feature.

9. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Easy fellas. No need to get crass. Let's be honest there's a lot of info on this site, and there are definitely times when we don't feel like searching, myself included.

10. LiquidusX

LiquidusX Regular member

taiyo yuden is the best media ever behind pvc which isn't made anymore.

get 1620 the 1640 is just as good but has over heating problems. up to you.

tyg0x -r and yudent00x +r are best media ever. they can't be beat. verbatim is a shoadow of it's former self.

they're media is made by 5 afaik different vendors

cmc mag
    prodisc
    mkm
    ritek
    mcc (not much anymore)

using mcc media code.

11. waleedwc

waleedwc Regular member

TDK DVD-r are in the first class range so i went ahead and bought them, but they are not working, i am new to backing up DVD games and have tried to copy GT3 to JVC, Tuff Disk, and TDK DVDs. But they dont work, i have got one of those chipped games that have a silver surface and that works, and so do my CD-R backups. So i am guessing that it has something to do with the DVDs. I am burning to TDK dvds at 1X using the built dvd-rw in my Sony Vaio Laptop, and tried on a desktop pc also, with no luck. Does anyone have any ideas on what i should do. I have a V12 PS2, with Infinity Chip. My ps2 just goes to the read screen when i insert the game i have copied in.
    Anyone know what i should do, are TDK reliable with the v12 PS2?

12. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

13. grantman

grantman Guest

you have to be careful though, i bought 25 tyg02 dvd-rs on ebay, and they were fakes, my effing ps2 wouldent even read them.
    Even though you probably dont think so, i have started using fujifilm dvd-rs and they are amazing. I backed up GTA:SA and it worked flawlessly, and im not lying.

14. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

No offense, but who ever told you to buy Taiyo Yuden on ebay must be on dope.

You can easily get genuine Yuden media from supermediastore.com, meritline.com and rima.com, and if you want to get them locally then just make sure to grab the Fuji & Sony 8X DVD+R (Made In Japan) - that's authentic Taiyo Yuden media right there.

15. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Agrees. It seems like most things you get off ebay are ripoffs or semi functional at best. This goes for premodded consoles, DVD-R's, CD-R's, PS2's, Swap Magic, games, etc.

16. waleedwc

waleedwc Regular member

"Tokijin" i tried to burn at 4X but my backup copy still isnt working in my PS2, I also tried on a datawrite DVD, but it made no difference. PLEASE HELP SOMEONE

17. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Ditch the Datawrite. Try Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, Ritek, Maxell, TDK, Sony, or Phillips DVD-R's. I should've specified before, I just type this so much somethimes, I get tired of spelling it out. Any of those brands should work fine with DVD Decrypter. Some burners are more compatible with certain brands than others. You've only tried one good brand, so don't panic yet. Make sure you use DVD-R's and not DVD-RW's.

18. waleedwc

waleedwc Regular member

Ok Tokijin, thanks for the info, i will try one of the ones you have mentioned apart from TDK of course because i have already tried them. I feel a bit revived from the idea of never being able to play backups. ;)

19. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Yeah you'll get it. I have a PS2 being modded as we speak, and I just got a DVD burner, so I'm kinda new to the DVD burning deal myself. I was paranoid my first attempt would fail, but I used DVD Decrypter, burned at 4x on Maxell 8x DVD-R's, simple as that. I won't know for sure it was successful until I get my PS2 back, but I have little doubt it was. Good Luck.

20. LiquidusX

LiquidusX Regular member

please read that link carefully. the list at the top of the page is for media codes only. you got tdk brand there's a list at the bottom showing what media code tdk uses. they use a lot