1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The OFFICIAL best media thread (noobs MUST look in 1st page, 1st post before posting redundant posts!!)

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by LiquidusX, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Seiryoku

Seiryoku Member

Hey there, the guide is great but I have a question...

I've been trying to burn an ISO to these Zykon brand DVDs I have and ended up with 2 coasters, which led me to believe they were just crappy. I got DVD identifier, though, and I'm surprised to find that they say...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-003-000]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
    Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
    Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
    Media Type ID : [003]

So, apparently they are these uberl33t DVDs? I have a Sony DRU 800-A (brand new) and an ASUS DRW 1814-BL, and both fail to copy. Is the disc really not the problem here?

2. yigael

yigael Member

A couple weeks ago i got my hands on a 50 pack of verbatims and heres the info from dvd identifier. Destructive/constructive comments on them?
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RITEK-R05-001]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [Not Available]
    Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]
    Manufacturer ID : [RITEK]
    Media Type ID : [R05]
    Product Revision : [001]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
    Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]
    [ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

3. lanceter

lanceter Member

edit: I think this thread serves more as an info database than an active discussion, so I moved my question to a seperate thread.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  4. NuLT

NuLT Member

sorry i'm new to this. i have read through and am still having problems. i am using good yuden media and i have a tsst samsung burner. i'm not sure but i think the problem might be the burner? it does support +/-R but not does not support book type changing. My media is dvd -R panasonic DVD Ident gives the reading TYG02 Taiyo Yuden. i have one of the old fat front eject ps2 and am trying to burn a swap magic 3 disk. Sorry to ask but I have looked and have already ruined alot of good disks.

5. JOWhite

JOWhite Member

i dont think you can burn swap magic disks, since the unique shiny side of the disk looks like a old fashioned vinyl record.

6. bvzxa

bvzxa Member

Can't burn Swap Magic discs, for they are pressed not burned.

Burning them would be useless...for they won't be raed like original discs. If you have a fat PS2, then a memeory card exploit would be easy to do...just make sure you have a way to swap out.

7. jcgamer60

jcgamer60 Member

Any advice for using a crappy laptop burner? I tried burning using 8x verbatims using my laptop burner and I got audio skipping with the bgm in Sonic mega collection plus. Unless this has something to do with the region patcher I used?

The media ID of the discs are MCC 02RG20 and they work great with my PC burner. I burned at 4x speed. I don't want to waste too many dvdr-s so any advice would be helpful.

The burner is an Optiarc AD-7530A. The laptop I have is an Acer aspire 9300. I'm using windows XP.

8. inagasake

inagasake Member

I need some advice on what DVD media I should buy to burn and play PS2 backups on a slimline 79001 PS2. Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are the status quo for quality media so I've been looking into both brands and looking at the Media IDs.

http://www.blankmedia.ca/proddetail3.asp?id=421

These 100 Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R discs (Tape Wrap, no Spindle) with retail price, shipping and tax included total to $35.80 CDN. The Media ID is TYG03/TYG02 so according to the guide, this is the quality I want.

I was also looking at these 25 pack Verbatim 8x DVD-R discs (Spindle) at Futureshop.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10088881&catid=25888

The Media ID: MCC 02RG20. The problem though is that I thought these were on sale until March 31st but just noticed right now they are back to normal price, which sucks ass. Getting two 25-packs cost about $17.21 with shipping and tax included (this deal is web only so you can't go to the store to buy it or pick it up). But they put the retail price back to normal so now it's $2+ more expensive per 25-pack. They'll probably put the sale back up soon. It's a shame they removed the sale because I would have preferred to purchase DVDs in smaller quantity (like 50) since I think 100 DVD-R would be overkill. The 50-pack TY's that I've seen are a rip-off.

But I'm thinking that maybe I should just bite the bullet and pay $35.80 for 100 TY's + an extra $6 or so bucks to get 100 sleeves (since I'm running out of space in my 200 CD/DVD case). Taiyo Yuden is of better quality than Verbatim anyway from what I've been reading on here.

Also I've heard that DVD+R is superior to DVD-R because DVD+R offers book-typing to DVD-ROM. But the DVD+R 100 pc spindel is like $40 + shipping + tax. That's going to cost me over $50. Is it really WORTH paying that much more for DVD+R? Wouldn't these TY DVD-R work well enough with a PS2? So as long as it doesn't screw up my laser. Thanks.

9. Daxsmoker

Daxsmoker Regular member

get sony dvd+r's they work fine and are ez to find ive been using them for like 2 yrs now

10. inagasake

inagasake Member

Is DVD+R really that necessary for making PS2 backups though? (Since I know it's more expensive than DVD-R).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  11. Daxsmoker

Daxsmoker Regular member

wats wrong with paying 19.99 for 20 when u dont even pay for the game?
    lol
    Dax doesnt not endorse legal back ups.

12. TestNtune

TestNtune Member

Hey bud, I strongly suggest you buy a small (5) pack of each and burn a backup to each one and boot them up. Dvd+r's skip on mine as opposed to dvd-r's doing a perfect job. I used the same methods under the same conditions for both burns.

13. inagasake

inagasake Member

I just want to know if these Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-Rs (TYG03/02) be good for my PS2? According to the media ID guide in this thread it should but I keep hearing contradictory stuff online about how TY has bonding problems, how there are a lot of TY fakes on the market and how you need DVD+R book-typed to DVD-ROM even though I've seen DVD-R work on my PS2 (so far) and friends I know say the same thing.

http://www.blankmedia.ca/proddetail3.asp?id=421

I can't buy these in small batches to test (TY, except for the watershield brand stuff that I don't want anyway, seems to be only in bulk). I'm willing to settle for the $35.80 (including shipping, tax) needed to buy these 100 discs. But I want to make sure these will absolutely work fine. Most of my discs will probably be for backing up data and video/audio but I'll use them for PS2 backups as well.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  14. Gamesoul

Gamesoul Member

@inagasake: I recently got a spindle of 100 8x DVD+R silver tops from www.supermediastore.com, and they work perfectly fine on both my PS2's (a fatty and a slim). Just remember to get your TY's from a reliable source, such as the ones mentioned in this thread, and you shouldn't have to worry about fakes.

And booktyping them to DVD-ROM is definitely the best choice. If you can't do so, well... the discs will still work better for you than just about any other brand.

15. inagasake

inagasake Member

I bought the 100x TY Value Line DVD-Rs from that site (blankmedia.ca had a positive response from Canadian users on this site so I went ahead and did business with them.) I burned one PS2 backup so far (Final Fantasy XII) on a disc (DVD Identifier and Decrypter both brought up TYG02 and I burnt it at 8x with DVD Decrypter like the guide says) and it's working perfectly on my slim PS2. No problems loading the game using Swap Magic, watching the FMV, cutscenes and fighting battles in the game. I don't see how these would have a negative effect on my PS2 laser unless these discs happen to be fakes with the TYG02 media ID. But Blankmedia has a positive reputation on here so these should be genuine right?

As for the supermediastore, I can't buy from them because I don't live in the United States. So that's why I ordered from Blankmedia.

Anyway just to be safe, I scanned my burnt disc with Nero CD-DVD Speed to check out the quality on it. I'm a n00b when it comes to media but the scans shows a 100 quality score with 0 errors so that has to mean the TYG02 is legit?

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002523810985405598

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  16. Mithos1

Mithos1 Member

I bought some Sony DVD +Rs...but I can't find 0xD or whatever on them. Are they likely to be fine?

17. Daxsmoker

Daxsmoker Regular member

0xD wats that?

18. hyibin

hyibin Member

Most guys here are talking about the BEST media.

Any one please tell me what are the benefits of using the BEST DVD-R, for example, what's the main difference between Taiyo Yuen and Ritek?

I am quite happy with my Ritek G5 DVD-R. 99+%. Someone mentioned that Ritek DVD-R only last few months, I think they got the fake ones.

19. zafos

zafos Regular member

I have read this and have many questions.
    I understand that tayo yunden are best for burning ps2 games, the sites listed are the best for buying them . Apart from that, really not much else.
    What speed should I burn if my burner is an optiarc dvd rw ad-7560 ata device?
    Also, there are many tayo yunden dvd-R (which I've found some1 said is better than +R for backing up ps2 games(and what's that about booktyping?? I don't understand at all...)), which do I buy? I suppose 16x is better than 12x and generally the higher the better?
    Keep in mind that I play my backed up ps2 games in my ps3.