1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The OFFICIAL best media thread (noobs MUST look in 1st page, 1st post before posting redundant posts!!)

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by LiquidusX, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  2. Traiklin

Traiklin Member

well for me it's hit or miss, the Sony discs usually don't work (only 2 games have workd for me and on a V7 they don't work at all).

Memorex is the samething, but Maxell discs (either - or +) give me no problems.

3. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Memorex is horrible. The Maxell's made in Taiwan are Ritek G05, decent stuff. Use those, avoid the Memorex.

4. LiquidusX

LiquidusX Regular member

nah i haven't i'm still iffy bout buying it online

5. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

You know if you have an original SM 2.0, you can use that to boot a backup of SM 3.6, then use that to load your backup. You'd obviously need to find a version of SM 3.3 or 3.6 to download, shouldn't be too hard. Gocybershop.ca is a good site, and online purchases are safer than most person to person transactions. If a website has a secure server and you have a firewall and some Private Data Protection, there isn't much to worry about. I order stuff online all the time and haven't had any issues.

6. LiquidusX

LiquidusX Regular member

in that case i'd rather use my 3.0 cd with a toc refresh. same thing

7. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Have been using these for A LONG TIME.

[​IMG]
    They always seem to be MCC manufactured.

Alternatively the only other DVD media I is use is Fujifilm +r.
    The Media ID from these is YUDEN and they also work superb.

[​IMG]

I can normally find one of these of sale 50 spindle 19.99 at
    my local best buy.

8. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Yeah that's a good deal for Verbatim's. And the Green Fuji's are Yuden's I believe. I live in a small hick town where there are no deals like that. I ordered a 100 pack of TYGO2's off supermediastore.com for $41. The other day I shit you not, I saw a 100 pack of Imation DVD-R's for $46 at Wal-Mart. The DVD+R's tend to work better with newer PS2's v.9 and later.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  9. EzyDuzIt

EzyDuzIt Regular member

i heard maxell dvds are the shiznat, however on the website it only says dvd-r, are dvd+r made by maxell as good??? cos ive seen a decent deal on a website which i might take up :D please som1 get back 2 me

10. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Don't know. Make sure they're the Maxell DVD-R's in the blue wrapper. The discs are gold or tan colored. The media code on those is RitekG05. Usually you can find em at Wal-Mart. If you're gonna order some DVD-R's online check http://www.supermediastore.com They have some great deals on Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, and Ritek.

11. LiquidusX

LiquidusX Regular member

that dvd=+r thing working in certain versions of PS2 is now a myth. that was determined in the time and age where dvd burners couldn't do bitsetting (to dvd-rom). now they could ya dvd-rom booktyped dvd+r are much more compatible than dvd-r

12. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Hummmm.... I think it would be fair to say that TTG02 is a good media, but it's slightly not on par with Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim and Maxell (made in japan). However, I can safely say that TTG02 (TDK) is definitely better than those crap CMC MAG aka Memorex media though. Below are what I scanned using 4X via Nero CD-DVD Speed because I burned them on 4X speed as well. Now, you be the judge.

** Here is the famous TY aka YUDEN000T02 (Yuden Co. Ltd)
    [​IMG]

** Here is the Maxell002 "Maxell's High Grade" (Hitachi Maxell Ltd)
    [​IMG]

** Here is the TTG02 "8X DVD-R" (TDK Corp.)
    [​IMG]

** And finally, here is the Memorex aka Memosux aka CMC MAG
    [​IMG]

13. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

You may be right about newer DVD burners and booktyping. But that info about compatiblity of DVD-R's with older of versions of the PS2 is straight from a professional modder who knows more about the PS2 than any of us ever will. I'll stick with that. Everything I've ever read suggests that is accurate as well. It may not make much of a difference with newer versions of the PS2, but older ones v.4 and earlier just aren't going to work well with DVD+R's. I have a v.4 PS2, I believe Liquidus that you said you had a version 8 or so from an old post I read. With yours it wouldn't make much difference. With older PS2's I'll continue to advise people to use DVD-R's. People are free to do as they choose. But I don't think there is ever a situation where it is advantageous to use DVD+R's. That's just my oppinion. I'm sure somebody will gripe and moan that I'm an idiot, but such is the nature of Afterdawn these days. Oh well.

14. GodzD

GodzD Regular member

I use TDK+R+booktyping and i havnt had any problems yet,i use a DMS4Pro chip on the newest version of ps2,i think tis v12.I wanted to ask,how are HP discs? the box claims high quality but im wondering if anyone new .Cuz i can get like 60 anytime before friday.But i have to trade a ps2 control for them and im just wondering has anyone tried them yet?

15. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

I agree with Alkohol. Get some Taiyo Yuden's. I picked up a 100 pack on http://www.supermediastore.com for $41 including shipping. Thanks for the tip Liquidus. I've burned 10-15 games with them, they all play perfectly. I burn at 2x with DVD Decrypter. Just a little query: Anybody notice DVD Decrypter is really picky about scratched discs (mainly rentals) when ripping a game to your HD? I have had a couple instances where I had to use Alcohol 120% to rip the game to my HD. It doesn't seem to care how horribly the disc is scratched.

16. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

Yeah I've had that a few times with Decrypter too. Hey I'll gripe and moan! I'm in labor pain now... haha j/k I'm a dude.

Hey did anyone know that Office Depot discs have a Ritek man. code on them? They don't work as good as TY's though, but that just goes without saying.

17. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

That's cool, good info. The 50 pack of gold Maxell's at Wal-Mart in the blue wrapper have the Ritek G05 code. I bought a 15 pack of the same Maxell's at Staples and ended up with CMC Mamogram err Magnetics garbage. Copied all those to TY's, needless to say.

18. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

Lol, you would think Staples would have the RitekG05s. I had Memorex for awhile and I copied all those onto my TY's as well, Memorex are good for movies but that's just about it.

19. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Anybody know if Nero CD/DVD Speed works with external DVD burners? I tried comparing the Riteks to the TY's, but it just says 100% each time for quality score and wouldn't post any statistics. Yeah I found that strange about the Wal-Mart Maxell's as well. I have one other confirmation of the Ritek G05's being at Wal-Mart and that was in FL as well. I'm not sure that would hold for Wally world around the U.S. It doesn't matter how many times you tell people Memorex DVD-R's are horrible. They'll continue to buy them and post about how their backups don't work.

20. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

Oh I know! Those and Princos. "I read EVERYTHING and it still WON'T work!!!" Hmmm..... he says everything and I say lazy.