The Online Scam Index (or Scamdex, if you will)

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Vicious88, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

I've been around the internet since I was but a wee kid, and the internet itself was young and growing... And I've found many of scams out there ranging targeting pretty much every topic known to man. So, I've decided to make an index for the Afterdawn community.

This is an open index, meaning that if you know of a scam that isn't listed here, I encourage you to list it.

Two quick words of advice before we get started here: 1) If something sounds too good to be true online -- it almost always is. 2) If you're not 100% sure you know what you're doing, whether that be transfering money, selling things online, making a website, or burning games/movies - someone is out there waiting to take advantage of your ignorance.

With that said, here we go:

allconsoledownloads.com - This site, as advertised via youtube videos and even spam emails, claims to offer you unlimited game downloads for all consoles without the need to mod or hack your console. Needless to say, they charge a membership fee which is only used to phish your credit card information. The site is poorly scripted, very expensive, and an absolute 100% fraud. I, personally, never fell for this one, but I've heard of hundreds of people who have.

everything4360.com - This is co-junction of allconsoledownloads.com and just as much of a scam. Don't buy into it.

poetry.com - Virtually everyone I know has fallen for this one. Pretty much anything you type will be approved and win an editor's choice award. You then have the option to purchase your poem back in the form of printed coffee mugs, mousepads, and even a hardback book of poetry which is only ever "Published" to the people who have poems in it. To take even more of your money, you may be invited to a book award ceremony where you'll not only pay some ridiculous travel expense, but you'll also pay an admission fee, an overpriced dinner ticket, a curtousy fee, and if you're lucky, you might walk out of there with a $7.50 trophy they ordered from a catalog.

CopyThatGame - this is a piece of software which claims to effortlessly backup any video game disc in such a way that it will play on the real console without hacks or mods. Once again, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

rs15min.com - If you're still playing RuneScape these days, and you Don't want to have your password stolen, my advice to you is to NEVER give out your password. Sound like Jagex? Yeah, well, they're tired of people complaining. This place will steal your account, your stuff, and possibly even your soul.

guildwarsgoldmoney.com - I don't play guildwars, but I've heard more than enough people scream about how this site has ripped them off. Amazing.

gamezmoney.com - Everyone I know who's attempted to sell money to this site in different games all have the same story. "They wanted the gold first and then they'd pay me." They of course, never did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.