The Perimeter is Incorrect error message

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Trigodess, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Trigodess

Trigodess Member

I have a JV 20GB HDD Everio Hard Disk Camcorder- recently while trying to copy movie files from it to my computer, in the middle of one group, it would not copy about a dozen of the files and gave the message "The Perimeter is Incorrect". I can view these movie files on the camcorder and play them back, but they won't copy over to my computer so I can burn them on a DVD. The company is telling me it is a problem with my computer. I think it is something that has gotten corrupted in the hard disk of the camcorder.
    Anyone have any ideas about this?
    Thanks

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You could try copying them to a friend's computer, just to see if there is a problem with your computer.

I thank the heavens that, when I purchased a camcorder last year, I went with a miniDV tape camcorder. I had a JVC VHS-C camcorder, prior to buying my Sony, and I did it because of the bad reviews that hard drive camcorders were getting.

3. Trigodess

Trigodess Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I would have to put the whole program on someones machine to copy over and I can't ask anyone to do that.
    I hope I don't have problems with this one too. I had a Sony- thought I was buying a great camcorder because it was a sony and it had a major problem after only 3 years. Went with the JVC because I was told how good it was. I paid way too much for this one to die in only 3 years. The extended warranetys are a joke- the last one I bought the business went under and I lost my money

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You shouldn't have to put any program on someone else's computer. You plug your camcorder, into a USB port, and the computer picks it up as another drive. Then, you simply copy the files, to that computer, the same as you would copy a file from one hard drive to another.

5. Trigodess

Trigodess Member

Ok, thanks. I did not know that. I thought the program had to be installed. I will try it on my work computer.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You're welcome, and good luck.

7. Trigodess

Trigodess Member

Hi, I have another question. I have brought my camcorder to work, tried to copy off the camcorder directly to a dvd and it would not. I got an error message. The files on the camcorder are .MOD and .MOI files. When I pull up the Roxie copy application, it says it supports only ISO (.iso)
    Roxio Disc Image Files (.c2d)
    Sonic Global-Image Files (.gi)
    BIN/CUE (.bin/.cue)
    UDI (.udi)
    So, when I try to find the files from Roxio, it only searches for those files and does not find the ones that are the MOD or MOI files.
    Next I tried just copying to my hard drive where maybe I could rename the file extension and during the copying to my hard drive, I got the same error message I was getting on my home computer- Perimeter is Incorrect- only it was on the last 6 files of the group. Before, this happened with files in the middle of the group. For that problem, looks like it is the camcorder.
    But, back to the files that are on copied over to my hard drive now. How can I burn these to a dvd if the programs won't find them due to the name of the file extension?
    Thanks for your insight.

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

That .mod extension is a proprietary file of JVC. There aren't many programs out there that will even recognize them. You camcorder should have come with some software, and maybe that software can convert the files to some other file format like .avi or .mpeg, which you can then edit in most any video editing program.

It appears that you were using Roxio's Disc Copier to copy to a DVD. It won't recognize those files, but it can pull in files from different Video_TS folders for a compilation movie. That doesn't help you though. At least not yet.