the pitfalls of ADSL please comment

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by andmerr, Jul 10, 2004.

1. andmerr

andmerr Guest

about to change from dialup to ADSL but was wondering if the forum members can give me some info on whats the best way .

Currently running win 2000.Have zonealarm and nortons antivirus installed.Should i go for a hardware firewall
    like the snapgear products or do i go along the lines of getting another computer and setting up lynics on it and just using that for downloading and web cam.

The package i am looking to get is 256/64 unlimited for $50.00 australian per month

THANKS TO THOSE WHO ANSWER IN ADVANCE

andmerr

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

By hardware firewall I'll assume you mean "router" because they do actually make hardware firewalll (for lots of moolah). With a router you can share that same internet connection with several computers and "hide" behind it using NAT.

Of course with DSL service I've personally found that sometimes you can share internet via a hub or a switch... no router required. Strange but kewl. If you intend to share internet then go for it otherwise there's no need really

3. Buik

Buik Regular member

Definately get a router with a hardware firewall. As long as you have at least a software firewall you will be fine. I like the comfort of being doubly protected and being able to run more than one machine on the internet at a time. Shop around. My first one ran me about 35 USD and came with a PCI ethernet card (after rebate)

As for getting another computer to run a version of Linux, well, you can set up your existing computer in a dual boot configuration or download Knoppix and burn it onto a CD/DVD and run Linux that way. You will want to wait on downloading it until you have DSL working tho. At 700mb it will take some time.

TC

4. Praetor

Course you can probably get it for $2-$5 at any university if you dont want to download period.

5. Xian

Xian Regular member

A software firewall will be fine for most people. A hardwall firewall does provide some additional protection though. All a hardware firewall is is a box with 2 or more network interfaces and firewall software running on it, so basically the part that is providing the firewall functions is still software. The main advantage a hardware firewall gives you is that it is a separate box. Some firewalls like the one that comes built into XP starts after the OS and networking functions have loaded, so you are still vulnerable for a brief time during bootup while the network is running but the firewall is still loading. I believe that is going to be fixed in XP SP2. Another advantage of a hardware firewall is that it does not have any unneccessary services running where if you have a software firewall on your pc connected to the internet you will have several services running that really don't need to be running by default. It makes it better to have the hardware firewall acting as a middleman between the net and your computer. Another advantage is that you have a single point for everything to go through. If you ever added other computers then each one would have to have a software firewall. Actually it is best to run both. A hardware firewall won't tell you if you have a trojan or spyware. It just sees packets coming from a trusted interface and lets them pass. Something like Zone Alarm is good even if you have a hardware firewall to set which programs are allowed internet access. I work with the Cisco PIX boxes a lot at work, but still run a software firewall on my pc for that reason.

6. andmerr

andmerr Guest

i gathered the router(HARDWARE FIREWALL) was what my server was talking about.The price tag was about 434.00 australian dollars but they didnt give much info on it.Is there somewhere where you guys would recommend that will give me a bit more info on this topic.

What modem do you guys recommend, is the speed i am looking at sufficient or should ilook at something like 512/128

@praetor
    @buik thanks for the info
    @Xian

andmerr

7. Buik

Buik Regular member

Unless the Austrlian dollar has depreciated a whole heck of a lot, you can get a cable router w/hardware fire wall for about a tenth of what you quoted. You only need connections for 3-4 computers.

256/64 vs 512/128? Faster is always better. As long as the modem supports the ISP's speed, no problem.

Oh, BTW, you are going to love the internet speed increase. Almost orgasmic
    Start doing the "google" search. What I can get in the USA means nothing to what you can in Australia.

I don't know what the exchange rate is, but "$50.00 australian per month" looks kind of steep for that kind of connection.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Stretch the cash. Bargain hunting. System is not static.[/small]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
  8. Praetor

Doesnt the DSL/cable service come with a modem?

9. Buik

Buik Regular member

Yep, most DSL/cable providers offer a modem with the service. You can rent it, for more than it would cost, or you can buy your own. My modem was free (after rebates) because they wanted my monthly payment for their service. First three months were half price. Win, win for me.

TC

10. andmerr

andmerr Guest

heres a copy of an email they sent to me:

Eftel Unlimited ADSL $49.95 per month for unlimited downloads at
    256/64k.

If you want to jump to the next speed level, the 512/128k plan is $79.95
    per month. An acceptable use policy applies on the 512/128k plan, so if
    you download huge amounts for the month, they may ask you to tone it
    down or find a better suited supplier. From my experience they only ever
    do this to people downloading huge amounts day and night.

Eftel also have a 1.5Mb/256k for $149.95 per month, which is not
    unlimited, but quite generous. After 25Gb of downloads you are shaped to
    56k, which is standard dialup speed. This is really only attractive if
    you want extremely high speed.

The setup and ADSL modem cost for Eftel is $244 and contracts are on
    monthly basis.

The last line is what really did it for me as most places are asking for 12 month contracts

i then asked them to verify a couple of points and got sent the email below:

The 256/64 package is unlimited useage and the $244 covers setup for the
    line from Eftel & the modem is included which you get to keep. Then it's
    just $49.95 a month for the plan. Connection at present takes around 3
    weeks as this plan has really taken off and demands are high.

Eftel does not do the installation but it's easy to setup as
    documentation comes with modem.

The best type of firewalls are the hardware type, of which we stock the
    snapgear range. They start at around $435 and are programable.

Nortons 2004 is the Anti Virus we stock at present and also has Spamming
    and firewall built in. It's $129 and gives you one years access.

I know i can get the virus software cheaper through a supplier that i use but as to the hardware firewall and the actual modem i aint got a clue and i would rather not be a fool and his money are soon parted scenario.

thanks again

andmerr

11. Praetor

I suspect they are talking about IDS units or corporate grade firewalls. -- not your everyday router

My advice would be to get the modem (cuz you'll need it) and if you need to share the internet across a couple computers, get a router ... you can get a decent router fro <$50 and good ones in the $70-$100 range

12. Buik

Buik Regular member

Jesus H. Christ

I can buy a gun faster than you can get high speed internet.

The price for your DSL service seems excessive. The price for their basic service is about what I pay for High Speed Cable here in the USA (posted dollars that is)

The Australian versions of the RIAA & MPAA are way too effective in your country's court system & legislative bodies.

Shop around. Please??? I hate getting screwed everytime I turn a corner. If nothing else, let me buy it here, for you, and ship it to you.

TC

13. Praetor

Dont forget internet is relatively cheap here in US/Canada

14. andmerr

andmerr Guest

i admitt that it does seem high but realistically it really has come down over the last couple of years.

They companies are being more competetive to lure the customers otherwise they have a product but no clientele.

I was fist off looking for cable , the version that is a straight separate line that plugs into the back of your pc but apprently where i live there is an exclusion zone so that wont be available for another 180 days or so.Adsl through the piggy back system via my telephone carrier is the only thing i can get.

if you guys have it so cheap might have to think about visiting.

Thanks again

andmerr

15. Praetor

LOL sure! :p

16. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Had a look at a modem today will this surfice or have i gone for overkill if i purchase this.

Netgear
    ADSL Firewall Router
    With 4-port 10/100 MBPS switch DG834

Performance Advantages:

- 4 products in one: adsl modem,router,10/100 lan switch and SPI True Firewall.
    - built in adsl modem provides direct always on internet connection and multi user access sharing at speeds up to 140 times faster than dialup

- add wireless networking functionallity when youre ready by plugging in an access point like the NETGEAR WG602

- Shares a single IP address with up to 253 users

- distributes mp3, digital movies and photos with ultra fast lan ports

Security features

True firewall using Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI)
    AND INTRUSION CONTROL FEATURES dENIAL OF SERVICE PROTECTION FROM HACKER ATTACKS

-VPN pass through allows you secure access to your office etc

- content filtering allows you to control access to inappropriate sites and limit usuage per day

- logs browsing activities and provides optional e-mail alerts so you can monitoraccess

-DMZ support for unrestricted access from the internet to one computer(for hosting web services.

Has heaps of other features and is priced for around 168.00 dollars Australian.

What do you guys reckon>

ta in advance

andmerr

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2004
  17. Buik

Buik Regular member

Impressive features. I would say that it is a bit more than you need at this point. I doubt I could make effective use of all those features before they become somewhat outdated. Try going modular. Get a seperate modem for your connection and a seperate router (with hardware firewall) for connecting 3-4 computers. Should be cheaper and if any one of the components dies, you only have to replace one. If a single feature dies on the unit you are looking at..... you could be dead in the water.

TC

18. andmerr

andmerr Guest

thanks buik i'll keep your advise and that of the other members in mind when i buy one at the end of month while on holidays

catch ya

andmerr