This has to be easy...but can't figure it out..DVD movie with pictures

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by WildViper, Nov 7, 2010.

1. WildViper

WildViper Member

Hello All,

Perhaps my searching skills have taken a dive today, but I can't seem to figure out this problem I have.

I have a MP4 video file that I want to burn on a DVD but I also want to put pictures on the same DVD that is accessible through the normal Windows explorer or other file manager.

So basically, if they put the DVD in DVD Player, it will play the movie and when they put it in a PC, they can access the pictures as well.

How do I do this? So far I can burn a DVD movie but can't put pictures on it. Or burn a CD with pictures separately. A waste really.

I have Adobe Premiere Elements 7 / Windows DVD Maker..which can't accept MP4 files. When I converted MP4 I lost quality.

I am on Windows 7 Ultimate.

Thanks for help or pointing me to the right resource. I have searched and searched and all I see is ads for other software.

2. attar

attar Senior member

You mean convert to DVD movie format?

Using a burning program like ImgBurn, select 'Write files/folders to disc', drag the images onto the window then drag the VIDEO_TS folder onto the window:burn dvd

3. WildViper

WildViper Member

thanx. I just did that, but the DVD doesn't play automatically on computer nor does it play on the DVD player. ??

Yes, I want to burn the MP4 as a playable DVD on any dvd player plus have the pictures there in case they want to copy them to their computers and stuff.

4. attar

attar Senior member

Can you use the PC's media player to play the movie files that were output to the hdd..

5. WildViper

WildViper Member

yes no problem. I can play in Windows Media Player and Zoom player.

6. attar

attar Senior member

So there's a VIDEO_TS folder on the DVD and it contains VOB files.

7. WildViper

WildViper Member

Yes. I created a DVD movie out of the MP4 that I stored on my hard-drive with the Video_TS folder that has the VOB. Now, I also have the Jpeg folder with a lot of pictures I want on the DVD (not slideshow or anything..just purely storage).

I can easily burn the DVD no problem with the movie alone. I can easily create a data DVD/CD with the pictures....but I can't combine the two and just have one DVD.

Ideal scenario of what should happen: 1 DVD burned with DVD movie that plays automatically when inserted into a DVD player. If inserted in a PC, it will play the DVD, but also can be browsed and find the Jpeg folder with pictures.

Thanks for help.

8. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

burn the video_ts directory as a data disk along with the folder of pics.. it's really easy.. BUT .. you have to make sure the pictures directory goes on the disk AFTER the video .. so call it something like zzjpegs.. mainly because burning with nero you get the retarded nonsense of the way it adds files in name order not position.

test with r/w disk.. saves wasting any while experimenting.

9. attar

attar Senior member

This works.
    Make sure that ImgBurn is in Build Mode.
    [​IMG]

10. WildViper

WildViper Member

ok..I will try this.

I always thought that authoring a DVD movie was done in a "special" way..ie the DVD writing software would put some special codes in the first tracks or similar to get it to be recognized as a DVD movie.

Seems like all it has to do is just have the Video_TS folder first huh?

11. attar

attar Senior member

ImgBurn will pop up a suggestion that you burn with the ISO9660+UDF setting if suspects you are burning a DVD video (the setting are under the 'Option' tab on the right pane).
    Thus if the setting was UDF alone, and you dragged a VIDEO_TS folder in for burning, you would see this prompt.
    I think it's designed to optimize playback on different standalone players.

Note that ImgBurn will generate the empty AUDIO_TS folder automatically if you are creating a DVD video.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010