1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for a new laser or something else?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by brazybear, Jul 8, 2006.

1. brazybear

brazybear Member

I have this problem with my v4 ps2/magic 3.1 chip and it'm not sure if it's the laser or if it could be something else. It has trouble loading all games but some of them it will eventually load while others won't load no matter how many times I try.

This is what I usually go through: put the disk in, hear about 3 or 4 "clicks" (probably the disk spinning and stopping really quick), then a really fast spin that lasts about 2 seconds, then a few more spins and then it'll look like it's going to boot but the disk just stops spinning and I get an "unable to read disc" message.

With some games I have to try a few times but it'll load eventually. But most games I have just won't load anymore. The reason I'm not sure if it's the laser is because when games do load, they play fine. No skips or anything and I can play for hours. Is it possible for the laser to be weak and unable to boot some games while being good enough to boot and play others just fine? Not really sure if it's the size of the games either because they're all around 3.5-4 gigs.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. skater685

skater685 Regular member

you might just need to realign the laser,if that still does not work,you might just want to buy a new ps2 as the cost of a new laser is almost as much...