Time to get an LCD display?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by max777, Jul 26, 2004.

1. max777

max777 Member

Is it time to go LCD? When I bought my high-end 19" Hitachi CRT about 3 years ago, the LCD's just didn't seem to have the performance I was looking for. I love fast moving 3D games and movies. For a living I develop web sites, which means I rely on my monitor to give me the best representation of the wide variety of graphical media I use.

After getting a Toshiba Satellite P25 series with a 17" wide screen LCD, I think I'm hooked. I hardly use my desktop anymore and it's hard to go back to the 19" CRT. BUT I'm concerned I'll lose performance if shell out $800+ for a 19" LCD, and I'll be annoyed at "dead pixels." I see one at the bottom of my notebook and it drives me nuts. I doubt I can take it back under warranty.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Dead pixels are a definite concern and you'd be wise to pay close attention to the manufacurers policy on dead pixels as well as the place you're buying it from. My buddy got his LCD at Costco which offers a 30 day "no questions" guarantee so if you have even a single dead pixel just bring it back.

As far as performance, the top-shelf LCDs available nowadays do very, very well. Clarity is wonderful, the colors are getting more accurate and pixel response times are way down.

3. max777

max777 Member

I'm already pissed as I look at the selection:
    1. Retail stores that offer the 'no questions return' don't have anything good.
    2. No one seems to make a widescreen desktop LCD, like my notebook screen.
    3. The native resolution is low for a 19"... 1280x1024. That's lower than what I use with my 19" CRT. I'll be losing some real-estate in both my work and games.

I guess that's why I'm posting. I look at these negatives and think maybe LCD isn't ready for me yet.

4. Nephilim

There've been a several sticking points with LCDs for me. One being that you're stuck with a single native resolution at which it works best at whereas a CRT can switch at will with no quality penalty.

Another is that the colors on good CRT's just look better to me.

And last but not least, price. I can get a very nice 22" Mitsubishi aperture grille CRT for $600 where a comparable size/quality LCD is going to be at least twice that. Space isn't a concern for me so one of the main advantages of LCDs means nothing to me.

5. wheelhumm

wheelhumm Guest

I've got a 17in LCD set at 1280x1024x32 and the colors look better than on a 15in CRT set a 800x600. The only problem is that my LCD gets very hot to the touch (about 105 degrees F) on the backside of it. CRT's run alot cooler, but I could put a case fan in the back of my LCD. A CRT probaly will last longer. I had a monitor from the early 90's and it could go up to 1024x768 resolution!

6. max777

max777 Member

See, I think for those with the 17" or smaller CRT's, it's a great time to go get that 17" to 19" LCD and just be amazed!

But as for me, the stylish look and thin size doesn't make up for the lack of performance. I've got a high-end grill app 19" CRT. An upgrade for me would be a 22" CRT, not an LCD. There IS a 21" LCD at Circuit City for $1100, but I think it's really a "budget" line that they don't make anymore, so they give them away to the trailer trash retail outlets, while they push their latest lines to, well who knows where one can buy high-end electronics anymore -- online I guess! You'd think Best Buy and Circuit City would carry high-end stuff, but they don't. I'm not lucky enough to live by a Fry's (California).

7. wheelhumm

wheelhumm Guest

8. Nephilim

The NEC/Mitsubishi FE2111 is about best 22" CRT being produced right now since Sony ceased production of their F520. Only Sony and NEC hold patents for consumer aperture grilles. Sony's replacement, the C520, has a higher grille pitch than the F520 (.24mm vs. .22mm) and from everything I've read it just doesn't compare to the F520.

I've been lusting for a FE2111 for a while now :)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-002-040&depa=1

9. max777

max777 Member

Really my 19" Hitachi CM772 is an app grill.. 1600x1200 at 150Hz. I never use 150Hz, but it's there. lol! I think my plan is to wait on LCD to get better. I tend to move frequently and don't want to lug a 22" around.

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

If you can I would wait on LCD's. I have heard that there is going to be a 10% price drop before the end of the year on them. The estimated values was around $250 USD for a 17" later in the year. And others will fall to correspond.

This is due to overstock, and newer tech coming out that will be in direct compition.

11. max777

max777 Member

Ya I was gonna wait anyway, a nice 18" at native 1024x768 LCD would be perfect for my parents and failing eye sight. I've seen some tempting rebates, but figure there will be even better rebates at the end of the year.

As for me, I'm keeping my eye out for a big wide screen LCD... maybe figure out how to disconnect my wide screen from my notebook and plug it into my desktop. ;)

12. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Disconnecting the notebook screen can be fun. But geting a proper connection type would be even more fun. good luck.

13. max777

max777 Member

Hey guys, was just noticing some LCD TV's actually have a native resolution of 1024x768. I'd like to use this for my parents who have bad eye sight. They have DVI inputs -- was wondering if I could a 18 or 19" TV as a computer monitor?

14. Nephilim

If it has a DVI input and the resolution is within your video card's specs I don't see why not.

15. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Max777, if there is a DVI port the yes will connect to computer. D-Sub works better but DVI will do. IF you don`t have a DVI port on you computer you will need a DVI to D-sub addaptor cable.