1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torrent Question

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by discboy32, Feb 14, 2019.

1. discboy32

discboy32 Member

So I have a simple question for anyone out there. I basically asked this on "sharethefiles" and was threaten with a ban if I ever asked it again. Pretty simple and it is...Is there a difference between a "torrent site" and "sharethefiles site" ? I had thought they were the same but could be wrong.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

unless they own the rights to distribute any of the copyrighted material on their site,then no,there is no difference.the only difference might be the way the files are shared,ie torrent or direct download.still illegal.

broomly and discboy32 like this.
  3. brendoon

brendoon Member

Downloading, whether via a torrent or a file sharing site, is only illegal if you're downloading a copyrighted file that you have no rights to. Otherwise it's perfectly legal.

The difference between torrent sites and filesharing sites is that filesharing sites actually store the entire file or files in question, whereas torrent sites don't have the file(s). They only list or track torrents, which can be used to download pieces of files from a swarm of people who have copies of those files. As lawyers will tell you, 'The devil is in the details'.

discboy32 likes this.