1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

torrent speeds

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Booga26, Sep 10, 2005.

1. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

Callum,

I dont have MSN, feel free to PM though, and I will try to help.

2. f_locke

f_locke Member

hey wondering if someone could help me i've been trying to figure this torrent deal out for about a week now. So far i have set a static ip address and i'm using bittorrent so i've opened ports 6880 to 6888 and i thought that would be it but when i'm attemting to download a torrent file it still is super slow. I have cable internet with a dlink wireless router and have mcaffee firewall installed and enabled on my computer. The download speed for the torrent is 2kib/s estimated time left 449 hours. That's insane. Someone please help

3. coolkaka

coolkaka Member

hello, is there anyone who can help me plz?!
    i'm a [bold]newbie[/bold] when it comes to using torrents as a way to download STUFF, at the moment im using a BitComent 0.60, and im using zone labs pro as a firewall, my internet speed is 1.5mb with blue yonder, i haven't got a router, but i have got a cable modem but my download speed are 1kb/s and my upload speed is 2kb/s, is this right?
    i have read the previous threads, (i think thats what you call them), and to be honest i don't know what to do, at the moment im downloading a file(hint hint)which has got 32 seeders and 137 leechers,(by the way what does this mean?) is there any way that i can improve my download speed?

can anyone help me on this matter, i would be [bold]VERY VERY VERY VERY[/bold] gratefull

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  4. DVDBack23

Please read and follow every step of my BitComet guide in my signature (look down) or read J-Kwons torrent guide.

If you still need help, feel free to post again.

5. coolkaka

coolkaka Member

Thanks DVDBACK23 (",)

i have read the BitComent and J-Kwons torrent guide, and it has help my downloads speeds, now im getting are 20kb/s download, but i was wondering that if there is anyway to hit above 20kb/s. as my internet connection is 1.5mb.

as im a [bold]newbie[/bold] when comes to using bittorent, is there any pit falls that i should know of regarding seeders, leechers and peer's? or anything else? as i like to get optmial download speeds.

also i have download a dvd-r folder, but the contents in the folder have been *.rar, i have unzipped them, and i want to burn it on a dvd-r disc, can you tell me the procedure to do this plz.

thanks!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  6. DVDBack23

Coolk,

Glad the guides help you so far.

For heavily seeded files you could be getting 80 KB/s so there is still a problem. Perhaps your firewall? I really dont know anything about making exceptions with Zone Labs so you will have to look into it.

As for the terminology,

Seeds-someone who has 100% of the file and is now strictly uploading
    Leecher/peer- Someone who is downloading and uploading the file

As for WinRar,

After you have extracted the .vob, .bup, etc. simply open nero burning rom and select burn dvd-files. Burn at 4x on good media.

Good luck!

7. coolkaka

coolkaka Member

sorry i forgot to mention, that in this dvd-r folder, there are three file types:

*.rar
    *.sfv
    *.nfo

i know what are *.rar, But what are *.sfv and *.nfo, and what do i do with these files?

Cheers DVDBack23! (",)

im glad that there are still people out there who like to share their knowledge!!!!

8. DVDBack23

the nfo you can open with text editors like notepad, as for the sfv, it is not important but dont delete it until after you have extracted from the rar files, then just burn with the method in my above post.

Enjoy!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  9. zoeee

zoeee Member

hey dvdback need some help again pls:)im trying too figure out how much 50 GB is. Thats what my cable company allows me too upload and download. if im at 49146 Mbytes how many GB is that how do i calculate it pls thanks:)

10. jax162

jax162 Member

I have 1.5 mb/s conmection speed, a level one wbr-3407a router, my U/D test results are 1127 kbps down and 146 kbps up. i am currently using Bit Comet. I think i have set up my router, i cant find any tutorials for it. and i am experencing 10 - 40 kb/s downloads, even with 59 - 65 seeds and 190 peers.

11. mikey_ray

mikey_ray Guest

first off let me say thanks for sticking around and helping us all---
    much respect bro

ok here goes can u list your dslreports speeds so we can compare
    and can you tell us how long it takes you to download a 2gb file and please be honest

my speeds are 5649 kbps dwn and 408 up

i use bitcomet and the best speed i ever got is 70kpbs dwn
    i have only seen like 14 seeders at the most---except for music files

i use public torrents ---so like you said i believe i shhould be dwnloader quicker

also how do you get an invite for a private---torrent

and how do you create a torrent file to share like the winrar kind that makes the separate files----
    and how do u upload it to the site so they can see you as a seed

as you could tell im so new

12. jax162

jax162 Member

Zoeee, about your KB - MB - GB Problem,

1000 KB = 1 MB,
    1000 Mb = 1 GB,
    1000 GB = 1 TB,

So, 49146 is 49.146 GB

I would suggest you stop downloading now.

(KB = Kilobyte, MB = Megabyte, GB = Gigabyte, and TB = Trillabyte(Not used Much))

13. DVDBack23

Actually, its terrabyte, right?

Please follow every step in my Bitcomet guide in my signature (look down) and if you still need help, please post again, and i will contine to help you.

I have a 9 mb (1.1 MB/s) cable line with a 115 KB/s upload. A 2 gb torrent file, depending on the amount of seeds, (and using a private tracker) normally takes me 3-4 hours. The fastest i have ever download a torrent was a 1.4 gb file in about an 1 hour 20 minutes.

With your line you should be getting 140 KB/s downloads. 14 seeders max??? How can that be, most hot files will have way over a 100+. Asi said to the other poster follow my BitComet guide in my signature and if you still need help feel free to post again, and i will try to help.

Try http://bitsoup.org it is a private tracker that has spots open normally.

Let me get this straight...you want to upload your own file? or do you want to become a seed for something you downloaded?

Thanks man, I aprreciate it.
    Let me know how the downloading goes.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  14. BCX87

BCX87 Member

Hi, i'm new here but I've been using bittorrent for a while. I just recently switched to BitLord, but when I first started using it, it was downloading very fast, but the next day it started going [bold]REALLY SLOW[/bold] and I don't know why. If you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.- According to the speakeasy thing my DL speed is 30441 kbps and my UL speed is 14987 kbps.

P.P.S.- I'm in college right now and don't know what kind of service they have on campus.

15. DVDBack23

Ah, college campus is a whole new ballpark, they block bandwith, therefore the slow downlaods.

16. BCX87

BCX87 Member

That blows...So theres nothing I can do?

17. DVDBack23

Unless you find the IT guys for your school and tell them to open a port for you...fat chance though, they could lose their job. On my 2.2 MB T1 college line i normally get only 75 KB/s for HEAVY seeded torrents.

downlaoding off sites or the internet however, is VERY fast. I downloaded a 4.1 GB download (linux) off the web in 20 minutes.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  18. BCX87

BCX87 Member

Well I'm getting about 1-2kB/s. What does "downlaoding off sites or the internet however, is VERY fast. I downloaded a 4.1 GB download (linux) off the web in 20 minutes." mean? Is it like bittorrent?

19. DVDBack23

Like persay, if i was downlaoding something from Afterdawn...

20. BCX87

BCX87 Member

Wow! What I said sounded stupid! What I meant by that is how and where can you get files that big on the internet without bittorrent? If you can't tell me where specifically, please tell me what I can google to find it.:p