Trouble installing DVD player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by jzybo, Dec 28, 2006.

1. jzybo

jzybo Member

I bought a Sony DVP-Ns55p/s player. I have 10 year old Sony TV with only composite (red, whit & yellow) inputs. I have a cable box hooked to it. I hooked up the dvd player and nothing happens

The manual says hit "enter" on the remote and a menu should appear on the TV screen. It also says to switch the input selector on the TV so that the signal from the player appears on the TV screen. Nothing appears!

I use to have a VCR hooked up and it worked fine. I also had a combo VCR/DVD hooked up to it and that worked fine. (until it stopped working)

I did some research on the internet and it said older TV's with no inputs sometimes need an rf modulator, but I have composite inputs. I am at a total loss as what to do.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Are you sure they're inputs, and not outputs?
    Unplug the cable box, and plug the dvd player into the same inputs it was in, and see if it works then. Make sure dvd player is on, when changing tv's inputs, so you can see the dvd player's splash screen. Not sure just how much you know about this stuff, and that's why I'm asking such obvious stuff. It's not as obvious to folks that know nothing about it. :eek:)

Chances are, you're using video 1 for the cable box? Then it would probably be video 2 for the dvd player. The input selector button on the tv, or remote, works ok? It should change inputs on tv to something like: "Video 1", "Video 2", maybe "Video 3"(depending on # of inputs), and "Ch. 3" (or Ant.). Do you see these choices, when changing inputs on tv?

You didn't accidently set the dvd player to "Progressive" did you? If set to progressive, you need to use component cables for hookup. And, of course, your tv must have component inputs.
    Good luck! Let us know what happens........

3. jzybo

jzybo Member

The inputs are correct. I have it set to "Normal"; not progressive.

As you suggested, I unpluged the cable box and tried it with just the TV. It still didn't work.

The remote for the TV has a button called alternate channel, which I believe is the input selector you are talking about. I set the alternate channel to 4 so that you can select either 3 or 4. I did this with the cable box unpluged and pluged. It still didn't work.

One thing I noticed that I didn't notice before was that when I changed the input to 4, the TV screen flashed light and dark three times. It seemed odd to me. Also, I don't know if this is important, but each time I switched to 4 that channel showed a "snowy" screen and the sound was like a hiss sound.

As you suspected I am not too knowledgable about this stuff. Do you have any other thoughts? Thanks for your help.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

Hooking up with the composite cables, you don't choose channel 3 or 4. You can't use the tuner, this way. Using cables like this, the tv is being used as a monitor, for the cable box and dvd player. You have to set the input, on the tv, to "Video 1", or Video 2", depending on the input, you used on the tv. It may say "Aux 1", or "Aux 2", instead. It's a little different, from watching a tape........... :eek:)

5. sharpwii

sharpwii Guest

I want to introduce a good software, Cool DVD Player Dual-Core.
    It is very eaayest to use .Cool DVD Player dual-core is the first player which completely supports dual-core CPU in the world. It can put the super computation capability of dual-core CPU into full play and the latest dual-core decoding technology makes your PC the perfect HD video & audio playback platform. Meanwhile, Cool...
    If you want more details and tools ,check in ,*edit by Jannejt*
    I hope it can be help you .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2007
  6. JVC

JVC Active member

@sharpwii..........
    Did you not read all the other posts in this thread? Why would you answer, without reading everything?
    Or are you just a [bold]SPAMMER[/bold], trying to get word out about that dvd player software?
    He's talking about a stand alone dvd player! Software dvd player is no good for this problem!

7. jzybo

jzybo Member

Reply to JVC,

I finally solved the problem! I was unable to follow your instructions because the TV menu never showed "input" even though the instruction booklet that came with the TV showed it.

What I did was buy an rf modulator. Once I hooked that up everything was fine! I also hooked up a cable splitter so I can also use my vcr separately and a splitter for the audio so I can use my stereo receiver and Bose speakers when I watch a movie. Thank you for your help!