1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble with Shrink/ANYDVD on new titles.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by summitboy, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Mez

Mez Active member

None of the above sounds much like my problem were the computer could not read the disk. No one has answered my question. Without AnyDVD, can your computer detect that there is a formatted disk in the reader?

2. robtcjm

robtcjm Member

3. Mez

Mez Active member

Thanks! I am hoping I ran into a bit of bad luck. Otherwise we have something real bad coming down the road.

4. summitboy

summitboy Member

I say yes as well

5. summitboy

summitboy Member

Updating my thoughts:
    I am beginning to think that newer versions of ANYDvd might be having problems interfacing with Shrink especially if the DVD is dual layer since all the ones I have had problems with were dual layer. Just a thought. I just tried to back up a 2007 movie called Rendition and had the same error message, could not read the disc. I would like to thank Aldiii and others for putting me on to directly using ANYDvd to rip the disc. For some reason I had no idea it did this. Worked fine.

Both my DVD ROMs are relatively new and working fine. They recognize and play the disc and the disc plays in my DVD player as well. Really appreciate all the input on this thread, it has been a big help over the years.

6. Mez

Mez Active member

I don't think they have ever had movies on single later. That is why you use Shrink to shrink it down to a single layer.

7. Aldiii

Aldiii Member

AnyDvD can tell you if you have a single layer or dual layer Disc and much more.

Start AnyDvD Right click fox head in lower left on tool bar.
    Left click settings.
    Left side) Left click on program settings.
    Right side) Left click on box in front of (show information window for new media)
    You will have a check mark in the box.
    Left side) Left click on STATUS at top.
    Click OK.
    Now when AnyDvD scans a Disc, when it`s done, a window will pop up.
    Will have info on the Disc. Single layer, Dual layer and all the junk AnyDvD has fixed.
    When done reading about all the BULL, click OK, window will close.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  8. lab1965

lab1965 Member

I just saw this post. Don't know if you're still looking for the answer to this or not?? In my years of using DVD Shrink both 3.2 and now the DVD Shrink 2011, it has always been my experience that there are some titles that Shrink just won't read. It IS the encryption on the dvd itself. I backup up my entire 1000+ DVD collection over the course of about a year and a half. I was NEVER able to copy Disney movies and there are a few of the newer titles (and becoming more all time) that DVD Shrink will NOT read. Just a fact of life. I wish I had better news that that, friend.

There is other software out there. For example, I recently purchased a copy of WinX DVD Ripper. I purchased the combo pack (download) which also included WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe for blu-rays. I still like DVD Shrink tho!

Again, I just saw this thread and didn't know if you still were looking for an answer!

9. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

DVD Shrink 2011......oh, that scam again. DVD Shrink has not been, nor will be updated as the developer has moved on.

Guess it's almost that time to start seeing threads about DVD Shrink 2012!!

10. Aldiii

Aldiii Member

S0 True, DvD Shrink FREE and always FREE, Ver.3.2.0.15 (2003-2004).

11. summitboy

summitboy Member

Lab1965, The original post was not about Shrink which has not been updated since 2004. There is no Shrink 2011. What my concern was is that I have purchased and use ANYDVD and was running it in the background and that scenario has not worked on several occasions lately. However once a couple of folks pointed out that ANYDVD will rip the movie on it's own, I have tried that and it works wonderfully. Then I just use Shrink to make the file small enough for a single DVD.