1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUTORIAL - HDD ON SLIM PSTWO _ USB EXTREME/ USB ADVANCE

Discussion in 'PS2' started by BenD188, Oct 29, 2005.

1. blairafon

blairafon Member

sorry but to make things more complicated for some of the steps i see "insert disc in ps2"... what if the lens not working isnt there anyway to say put an image of the cd/dvd (for e.g. the swap magic dvd) and then attach sum form of autoplay to it or something.

so basically how to play the game without the lens.

2. rozaidi

rozaidi Guest

use devolution mode chip. press r1 while boot so u can use usb advance without cd.

3. shrek02

shrek02 Member

i have done these steps:

Getting it to work with just the one swap magic disc(no need to swap 2 discs) :
    -Plug in your USB HDD, install drivers and format it in windows to NTFS (you can right click on the drive and hit format)
    -Open up the USB EXTREME tool (on your computer) and click on the Disc Format tab and then click Format.
    -Burn USB ADVANCED to a cd. (burn the .bin using a program like nero or alcohol 120 while selecting BURN IMAGE! you are not actually burning the .bin as a data file...its an image)
    -Create a folder called SWAPMAGIC on the hdd. Inside the folder place the contents of the USB ADVANCE CD. ( they should be dummy, system and USBADVN.ELF )
    -Rename USBADVN.ELF to SWAPMAGIC.ELF
    -Stop the USB HDD and plug it into your PStwo. Now put in the USB ADVANCE cd ( either using the modchip or booting up with swap magic v3.6)
    -A screen that says USB ADVANCE or USB EXTREME should pop up and then it will go to a list where games should be. If this happens.. congrats... you did it right. Now scroll down to see how to install games.

but still it did not work. it would only show MATRIX logo after that it would go to a black screen and nothing would happen. please can anybody help me...i just wanted to use my SLIM PS2 w/ a HDD because I had already replaced my LENS twice because when I play it would take me around 4-8hrs of play a day. im using. . .

SCPH-7006
    NTSC-J
    Browser 1.40
    Playstation Driver 1.11

please need help ASAP. thanks

4. vidmannz

vidmannz Guest

Hi Im going to hook a ext usb hd do I get on with its own power supply or will the ps2 usd run it?

thanks
    p.s. I have slim ps2

5. fluffNZ

fluffNZ Member

Hi Shrek02

Since you have the matrix chip, you don't need to do all those steps. You will just need to burn the usb advance cd and format the usb HDD using USBextreme. Then you will need to disable macrovision protection on your matrix chip.
    You can disable macrovision on your matrix chip by starting the playstation holding down "Circle" + "Triangle" buttons on controller. This will start matrix configuration. Use arrow keys on controller, go down to Macrovision and change to "OFF". Then you should be able to boot from usb advance cd.

6. JAdamM

JAdamM Member

so only swap magic 3.6 works?
    and HDD with FAT32?

7. vidmannz

vidmannz Guest

Hi does a USB HD need its own power supply or will the usb port from my ps2 slim power it? thanks

8. ps2b00t

ps2b00t Member

Hello,

I understand that some games are not playable or are not fully compatible with the hdd using USBAdvance. For example, GTA SA is working off the hdd but I cannot save the game. When it is supposed to prompt you to save the game in a slot, it just displays a black screen forever.

Just wondering if any1 else encountered this as well, or knows a way to fix/patch this.

PS. The game was PAL converted to NTSC using ADR. I encountered the same problem with LEGO SW2.

Thanks in advance.

Also, in reply to someone else, the if the HDD is inheritably usb-powered, it should work with the PS2 if the case enclosure supports USB 1.x. Note: not all 2.5" and 1.8" Hdd's are compatible. I know fujitsu works (40GB). You can partition it so you don't lose an data.

9. oenone

oenone Member

yes gud question,

can a usbextreme be use with the bulky ps2????

tnx!

10. vSKSv

vSKSv Member

11. Kazy

Kazy Member

hello everyone! does anyone have any tips on how I should prepare a USB harddrive for SMS?

My harddrive just arrived a couple of days before the PS2 (slim) and I'd like to format it and fill it up with some files beforehand. Will a standard NTFS-format do?

//Edit: Just found out that it has to be in FAT/FAT32

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  12. damodmann

damodmann Member

wow.

That's all I can say. Wow.
    Thanks a million, man.
    Now I just need to go out and get an external HDD.
    I have all of the tools, except the external HDD.
    Anyone, where do recommend I buy one (by spending no more than $70?)
    I saw one on Newegg that was 80GB for $65 (plus 7.61 for 3-day S&H)

13. ghostboy6

ghostboy6 Regular member

i dont know if anyone is getting this problem but i boot the usb advance cd just like how i boot a ps1 disc but it gets stuck at the playstation logo screen without the logo.. any help would be fine..

14. kingen

kingen Member

hi this is working untill i try booting the disk ive burnt.
    the disk boots up and my infinity v.1.91 starts the cd but after that the picture is just blacker than a horses ars.
    i hear the disc spinning in normal rate but i get no picture ive done all the things you wrote and tried burning 5 other discs but i get no better result anyway.
    is this just a joke because usb extreme released 1/4 ???

15. gamebox

gamebox Member

thanx for all your job it was great to learn some thing in ps2 with hdd any way i have a small qutition for and plz can you send answer on my mail..

i have don things to make my ps2 slim read hdd usb with ac power

i make download for image of usb advanc .cue

i burn on cd sony with Alcohol 120 and it work fine

now i can see inter face of usb advanc program on my tv screan

but still can't see my usb hdd what can i do for that my hdd was

format with ntfs .....so help me plz thanx and bye ..

16. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

edited by ddp due to stupidity

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2007
  17. ElXando

ElXando Regular member

Is there a way to get ISOs you have on your computer to work with this? Do I have to find out the ID and name it something strange? Or can't I do it?
    EDIT: OK I have read the backing up from DVD to USB HDD works on copied DVDs as well but can't I do it without burning the game to a DVD first because whatever the file becomes (something like "gameid.00") someone said that it was the same as an ISO file only with a different extention, so is it possible for me to just rename it?

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  18. her100570

her100570 Guest

hello i am new.
    i already do step by step.
    it finish and show the games title.
    but if i click the games
    why only show loading........
    scph 77006
    please help
    thx
    her100570@yahoo.co.uk

19. MasterChu

MasterChu Guest

edited by ddp due to stupidity

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2007
  20. her100570

her100570 Guest

hi MasterChu, i see avatar works fine and have a green light.
    but i still loading.....and loading.......title

please help me.

or may be i must use PS2 XCM HD Connect.
    how about this thing, any comment