1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUTORIAL: How To Open Ports and Forward them to your Router

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by tEChniiQue, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Shyeh

Shyeh Member

Hello, I just bought the Dynalink 1025W modem and having trouble port forwarding it with BitLord. Is there anyway of port forwarding it through that program or would you suggest an alternative and showing me the process of port forwarding.

Thanks.

2. Blended12

Blended12 Member

help!! i can't acces my router don't know what ip i should type in the explorer.. the router is a Zyxel P-660R-D1 please help

3. ckystyler

ckystyler Member

hello i am trying to ford ports for bittorrent. i followed the directions on the portfoward website and did what it said to do. my speeds havent really changed still in the low teens to high teens. why?? i have linksys router wrt54g and a bellsouth modem

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

5. ckystyler

ckystyler Member

how do i know if my client supports it and what other things do i need to do to make my download speeds faster, i didnt really understand your last post, thanx

6. ckystyler

ckystyler Member

i use bittorent so can i use the protocol encryption and what would that do to help

7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Protocol Encryption encrypts the incoming packets to make them less identifiable to ISP's. Like I said, I don't know of Bittorrent supporting it. A static address may be necessary because some routers select a new ip address each time you reboot negating any port forwarding but a static address doesn't change. And if the DNS servers have the same address as the Default Gateway, you'll have to obtain them from your router or ISP. ip config/all is just where you find the address info; port forward may show it wrong, it does for me.

8. ckystyler

ckystyler Member

so i need to look in in the ipcon/all thing and see if my what adresses are the same? after i do that my downloading speeds should be a lot higher since ive already opened the ports right? thank you a lot

9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Not should be but may be. The static ip address shows how to get to ipconfig/all if needed.

10. u1586

u1586 Member

Help when i enter the static ip into the address bar it directs me to google with other crap, it does not direct me to the password box. HELP im new.

11. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Not your ip address but your router address and make sure to use IE, not Firefox, etc.

12. u1586

u1586 Member

sorry for sounding dumb but how do i find my router address to use.

13. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Use the address you see at start>run, type in cmd or command and select ok. Now in the Command Prompt box, type in ipconfig/all and select enter and your router address should be your Default Gateway. Just type exit and select enter or just close to close. You will also see it at Port Forward in the guide to forward to your client.

14. DavidRW

DavidRW Member

When i try to open page 192.168.1.1 it says page cannot be displayed :S can anyone help me?

15. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Are you trying in IE, otherwise don't know. If you don't receive a fix, your router support should be very helpful, mine was.

16. DavidRW

DavidRW Member

dam....i'm using IE.......=/

17. Shyeh

Shyeh Member

Hi, I'm using a dynamic ip and was reading through these posts and found some interesting facts. I tried port forwarding my modem using dynamic ip but does not work. Does port forwarding apply for static ip only? Also I use bitlord is that a good p2p program to use or could you suggest other programs which have better encryption. Thanks.

18. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Thought I had replied. Anyway, dump BitLord; it's probably got one of the worst names out there, contains adware and is banned on just about every private site I know of. My personal recommendation would be utorrent but version 1.6 (there is a v 1.6.1) and disable updates at options>preferences>general. Has Encryption, too and I also like BitTornado. Azureus is good but a bit complicated, lot's of tweaks, though. utorrent available here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_utorrent/?1237 As far as I know, a static address, a modem won't need one unless you have a modem/router combo that is assigning a new address each time you start your computer.

19. Shyeh

Shyeh Member

Thanks heaps for that mistycat. I'll keep that in mind and update my post on how the progress went.

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

email postings edited as per forum rules.