1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUTORIAL: How To Open Ports and Forward them to your Router

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by tEChniiQue, Aug 19, 2005.

1. stasysn

stasysn Member

H, I have Thomsson ST546 v6 router and want to use it together with ASUS Mimic cx200 ip camera, so i need to open 9001 port in router.Pls, help

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Should be the same as for a torrent client; if I'm wrong, anyone feel free to correct me. I've chosen utorrent to forward but ignore this ang scroll down to where it says "do not skip this step". Skip it and follow the directions from thereon forwarding port 9001 to Asus or whatever: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Thomson-Alcatel/Speedtouch546v6/Utorrent.htm Setting a static ip address may be necessary if your router assigns your computer a new one each time you restart. It's not hard to do and eventually probably will change: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm Either way, check it at ipconfig/all the next time you start to ensure it hasn't changed.

3. Mist82

Mist82 Member

I have a DSL modem ZyXEL Prestige 630-C1, and i tryed everything to forward ports,but can`t seem to do that. My dl speed is 10 times slower than it should be. Can anyone help me?

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

5. Mist82

Mist82 Member

Just a modem,i have no router.Not on bad ISP list, but i think it is throttling torrents...p2p clients generaly...i tryed everything but no results...even with protocol encription...I think that only solution is to change my ISP :(
    But thanx anyway.

6. jleposky

jleposky Member

I have a leviton router and im trying to open ports for team speak which i think is port 8767. i am confused about how i need an external and internal or sometin like that. id apreciate it if you would help me out thx.

P.S. thanks so much or the tutorial!

7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

8. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

I'm new to all of this port forwarding, and ive been living in the dark ages ok 10kbps lol. Am I right in saying displaying this information

[​IMG]

If you got a mix of remote and local you successfuly configured it? I read it off a site. Even if this is true, I am still only receiving download speeds of up to 40 to 70 kbps average. : (

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

10. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

nooope. still the same speeds. thanks anyway

11. Mist82

Mist82 Member

Is there any way to open and forward ports on Wireless internet? I`m usin a PCI W-lan card.

12. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

@Mist82
    couldnt really tell you sorry. wait for some one else to ask.

Im downloading two (legal) files. What I want to know is, one is coming in at 118kbps (file size=1.32gb) and the other file is coming in at 37 kbps (file size = 6gb) is this down to the size? I was led to believe that its the peers and seeds what decides its download speeds, but the 6gb file has more seeds and peers. What should I believe?

13. Mist82

Mist82 Member

Tx for the reply...
    As for your problem,it is not in the size of the file,it is like you mentioned in the seeders...first of all maby the conections from your comp. or to your comp,are closed,ports not forwarded,or maby your P2P klient is not configured properly...which can usualy be the problem. Protocol encryption haven`t solved my problem...sometimes more seeds and peers don`t mean faster speed.Try another P2P programe,uTorrent maby. Or just try reconfiguring your P2P klient...

14. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

it was wierd, one file was downloading well, but another wasnt with same seeds and peers. My client is configured for port forwarding with my router, done it yesterday. Just baffled me lol.

thanks
    Est. 1991

15. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Just an FYI, you have no way of knowing what seeds and peers have their upload speed set at so two files with the same number of connections won't have the same speed. The amount they have downloaded compared to you will also have an effect as will configuring your upload speed. Also, more than one download open at a time will be sharing your bandwidth.

16. rappybas

rappybas Member

hi

i want to host a gamemaker game,
    but it wont work because of my router...

this is gamemaker: http://gamemaker.nl

router: Conceptronic C5APRB

Hope you can help me

17. Reagan01

Reagan01 Member

When opening a range of ports, like 1100 – 1110, before you start forwarding these open ports to your router, is there a way to open that range of ports in the windows firewall part?

If opening a range of ports is not available for the windows firewall section, does that mean I must open each port one at a time?

18. AlphaMoth

AlphaMoth Guest

Ok, this is a stupid question.. But if my net only usually goes at 20/30 kb/s..if I open my ports will it make my torrents faster?

19. truebe

truebe Member

I have a linksys router but I'm having trouble finding the window to login into so I can forward the port. I enter my IP address in the address window but the screen tells me there is no such website.

20. mistycat

mistycat Active member

It's not your ip address and make sure you use IE (I believe Netscape is ok), not Firefox, etc. Go to this site, find your router and click on it. In the next window, find your program, click on it and follow the directions: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm Port forward has instructions for settins a static ip address which you'll probably need also.