1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUTORIAL: How To Open Ports and Forward them to your Router

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by tEChniiQue, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Calintz16

Calintz16 Guest

Hello, I am using a Westell router model 6100 and I've been able to open the port, however I have no idea how to forward the port because when I enter it's site [192.168.1.1] The setup screen is a whole new world to me.....

I couldn't make left or right of it, so is there anyonw who can help me??

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2007
  2. Calintz16

Calintz16 Guest

Hello I am using a Westell router, model 6100 and I'm trying to forward a port that I've opened for UTorrent.....

I tried following the directions listed step for step. however like you mentioned, my router page [192.168.1.1] is no where near similarity to yours.....

Is here anyone out there who can help me??

3. mistycat

mistycat Active member

4. Calintz16

Calintz16 Guest

I just posted this with intentions of thanking you Mistycat.....

Thnx to you I was able to open and forward the port correctly.....
    At least I think it's working properly because Utorrent's symbol is green and it says, "Network ok, your network connection is working like it should".....

So thnx again and many kudos mistycat.....

5. jcyu0208

jcyu0208 Member

i need help anybody?please im going crazy from all these port forwarding stuff..

what i did was:
    i set my ip address to static because thats what it said in the portforward.com after which i changed the settings of my bitcomet following carefully what portforwarding said i should do. and then i opened the port of my linksys wrt300n router,again following strictly what was on portforward.com. after doing all these i checked my bitcomet, the yellow light still appears and the ip address that was there was different from the static ip that i specified earlier. i turned off the computer and another ip address was the one being blocked, this time different from the static ip i specified and different from the ip that was blocked the first time around. i tried to see if it will work with uTorrent again i consulted the portforward.com on how to tweak the settings of utorrent this time. again it gave me an error message regarding my router configuration and the ip that was being displayed was not the ip i specified.

i also allowed my firewall (pc cillin) to allow bitcomet and utorrent. both does not work till now. please help i really need it..thanks if you want you can message me your help or i can check back here at the forum. btw im using xp w/ sp2.

6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

When you set your static address, did you use the proper connection at Network connection? There should be a couple, you need the right one.

7. jcyu0208

jcyu0208 Member

can you assist me with this apparently im not sure if i have the correct one...what info do you need to know to be able to help me out?thanks so much

8. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Here's a guide to follow, it's not hard at all, just make sure your DNS server and Default Gateway aren't showing as the same at ipconfig/all and use different addresses for each computer (also, only use the address you see at ipconfig/all, other sites may not show it correctly). It's all explained but ask if you have any questions: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  9. Ebouti

Ebouti Member

Hi,

I am a new user to utorrent and I am trying to open up my ports to increase download speed or so i've been told. I managed to get a static IP address, but I am lost when it comes to finding what ports i need and all the nbers of them like when the tutorial mentions(1100-1110) ???? Is there anyone that could guide me through this process or indicate another site that might have more details.

10. mistycat

mistycat Active member

utorrent only uses one port and that can be found at options>preferences>connection. Any port over 10,000 that isn't the default can be used, I use 34,450. An ISP may block those under 10,000 and default.

11. jcyu0208

jcyu0208 Member

i already did all of that on my pc to no avail..even before my first post. still the same results, what could be wrong?

12. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Sorry, not a clue, sounds like a bug or, maybe, another computer on your Network (if you have one) is left dynamic and is selecting that address. Perhaps, give your ISP a call. All I can see on Google regarding this is changing your router firmware language to English but that's beyond me even if it applies.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  13. txcpiano

txcpiano Member

Sorry I'm new to this and wondering if anyone has any ideas. I'm using Vista ultimate (32bit) and I have a Sagem F@st 800, and I'm attempting to forward the port for utorrent but I can't find any kind of help for my Sagem F@st 800 at all (no router page of anything). Anyone got any ideas?

14. evilbla

evilbla Member

This all worked out great UNTIL I tried to to log onto the IP... Admin does not work for me or anything else like ADMIN. Any help there?

15. GHOST686

GHOST686 Regular member

hey this a stupid question maybe but does PF help speed up things for utorrent? when i say speed up i mean like speed up alot?

16. MegaTen

MegaTen Member

Im having trouble with this. I have a DSL Bellsouth modem. Its a Netopia 12vdc,800mA. I typed my ip in and no luck just didnt load at all.

17. caldarola

caldarola Member

I'm in Italy and am attempting to set up Vonage on my Motorola VT1005V. I'm told I need to set up port forwarding, but am unsure how or where to do this. These were the instructions I was given:

The following ports are needed for OUTGOING Internet communications from the Vonage device to the Vonage servers.

DNS: Port 53 UDP
    TFTP: Port 21, 69, 2400 UDP
    HTTP: Port 80 UDP
    NTP: Port 123 UDP
    SIP: Port 5061 UDP (used for older Vonage devices provisioned before 2005)

The following ports are needed for INCOMING and OUTGOING Internet communications from and to Vonage devices and servers.

RTP (Voice) Traffic: Ports 10000-20000 UDP. When a call is made, a random port between 10000 and 20000 is used for RTP (Voice) traffic. If any of these ports are blocked, you may experience one way or no audio.

These are the Motorola routing Advanced and Basic configuration pages:

Advanced Configuration
    Enable DHCP/NAT on LAN(PC) Port

Virtual Servers IP Port Transport
    192.168.102. Disabled
    192.168.102. Disabled
    192.168.102. Disabled
    192.168.102. Disabled
    192.168.102. Disabled
    192.168.102. Disabled
    192.168.102. Disabled
    192.168.102. Disabled
    192.168.102. Disabled
    192.168.102. Disabled

NOTE -- Ports 5061 and 10050 thru 10061 are currently assigned to the voice functions of the Motorola Terminal Adapter. Defining any of these ports as virtual servers may disrupt your voice service.

Enable DMZ
    DMZ Host Address 192.168.102.
    Host Name

MAC Address Override

: : : : :

You may enter an alternate MAC Address to override the actual Motorola Terminal Adapter MAC Address.

BASIC CONFIGURATION

Obtain IP Address Dynamically

Specify Static IP Address . . .
    Subnet Mask . . .
    Default Gateway . . .

Enable PPPoE
    Service Name:
    User Name:
    Password:

Specify DNS Servers
    DNS Servers . . .

I've set up a static IP address, but I just can't figure out where to go to set up port forwarding. And, there is no where I can find w/ a start and finish field to enter the range of ports.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

18. jude10

jude10 Guest

Hi all,
    Well I'm new to all of this too and really tried to solve it but it's now 24 hours later and I'm not busy using utorrent yet.
    I got stuck at the forwarding of the router.My router is Pluscom, I got a port number (54168)when I down loaded utorrent,but when I put in the number in port range it gives me an alert that says; invalid port number it should be the decimal number(0-9) so then I put 0-9 but the it tells me invalid port number you should set a value between 1-65535.
    As you can see I'm no wiz with the pc and when it does this I'm absolutely clueless.
    So please some one help me and give me easy steps I need to follow.
    Thanx

19. oblivion4

oblivion4 Guest

I have a EZXS55W Version 4 Linksys router, wired. I was wondering if you could give any info on how to get my router to forward some ports, because I am trying to get my Xbox 360 to work with the NAT at open instead of Moderate.

20. mtbleeds

mtbleeds Member

hello people, ive looked over a lot of articles on this forum looking for some help, there seems to be a lot of clever people so lets see if someone can help me!

my problem is the same as most people asking for help on this thread. most of the time my torrent client wont connect to download, and if it does it downloads at about 3kb/s

ive tried port forwarding, firewall config, torrent client config, kicking, screaming and crying

and yet to no prevail....

its the same problem with other p2p programs ive tried, limewire and loads of torrent clients. they hardly ever connect.

im behind a linksys wag54g wireless router

i have windows xp pro sp2 with the windows firewall

im using Azureous

speedtest.net results are "3142 kb/s download and 245kb/s upload"

can anyone help?

thanks in advance

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007