1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUTORIAL: How To Open Ports and Forward them to your Router

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by tEChniiQue, Aug 19, 2005.

1. dipset121

dipset121 Regular member

what is the purpose of port fowarding?

2. nsabeeh

nsabeeh Guest

Hi,
    i download songs via bitcomet. my downloading speed used to be very high. but now i have a router. now the thing is, in this post u explained in two parts. i got the part 1. but in part 2 u said type your ip address in the explorer. i tried to that but it says page cannot be found. can u please help me and tell exactly what to do. thank u. and also when i download songs from website via bitcomet the download speed sometimes goes upto 50 - 60 and sometimes uploading speed when i download songs via bitcomet is 200 but my download speed as well as upload speed 95% of the time doesnt go above 10kb. what should i do?

3. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Not your ip address but your Default Gateway found at Command Prompt: start>run, type in cmd, ok and then ipconfig/all and select enter. You may need a Static ip address if your router changes it on reboot so keep an eye on it at ipconfig/all and use Protocol Encryption: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674 Not connected but look into using Peer Guardian 2 when downloading, not 100% but good. There can be many reasons for your speeds but more than likely due to your router, connect directly to see any difference. Make sure your upload speed is set correctly, you don't want it more than 80%. Most speedtests show in kb (bits) while BitComet may show in kB (bytes). Edit: find your router at Port Forward.com, click it and follow the instructions.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  4. keristal

keristal Guest

Hi all

I download movie using utorrent...I'm told that i must forward ports...im using Netcomm NB5Plus4

i went to this link and follow the instruction to forward the ports...

But when i download..it says that the port is not open

Please tell what i should do

5. garrettd3

garrettd3 Member

i have a belkin model f5d7230-4 router with embarq internet i have followed every tutorial i can find and i cant get a port open or it isnt routing torrent to it, but either way i cant get utorrent to dl faster then 50kbs what am i doing wrong, also when i swtiched from cable to dsl i had to switch the static ip address FROM 192.168.2.1 to 172.16.0.3 although the defualt right now is 172.16.0.1 so when i go into my router settings to the virtual servers and it says private ip 172.16.0.blank i put 3 not 1 right, im sure im doing somthing little wrong could someone help me please

6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Set youself a static ip address to use or any port forwarding will likely be useless next time you reboot. It's quite easy, just pay attention to what the guide says aout the DNS server (s) and Default Gateway showing the same address: http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm Run a speedtest and use the number at options>speed guide>connection type closest to your upload speed result. There is a site in utorrent or this is a good one: http://www.speedtest.net/ Enable protocol Encryption: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674 and use a port over 10,000 that isn't the default at options>preferences>connection in utorrent and your router.

7. nooberguy

nooberguy Member

Thanks tEChniiQue utorrent working properly again :)

8. garrettd3

garrettd3 Member

i have set a static ip address up i think (i went into network coneections put in ip sub net and default gateway along with dns servers) if any of these were wrong i couldnt connect to internet right? i have done this to both computers, also i have went into my router and went to virtual servers and put in my info using port 10004 (when it ask for ip i put the ip of the computer with utorrent right) then i went to both computers into internet conections advanced settings advanced and then added u torrent on both computers entering port 10004 i have restarted the router and both computers and i have disabled windows firewall, router firewall and tuned norton off, i have obsessed over this for 3 nights and cant get it to work what am i doing wrong, when i switched from from cable to dsl i switched my ip from 192.16.0.1(i think) to 172.16.0.1 could this be a problem??

9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I'm a little confused here (not hard). Lets start over with one computer first, you did give them different addresses. Go to start>run, type in cmd and select ok. Now type in ipconfig/all and select enter. That is where you would have seen the ip address to make static and is the address you would forward to in your router. If the DNS servers and Default Gateway were the same and used, then you would lose your internet connection. I don't know what would happen if you manually changed it that far but why. To find what it was just select obtain ip address automatically at Network Connectioons

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  10. garrettd3

garrettd3 Member

the ip adresses are diffrent on the two computers and th dns servers where not the same, my static is set up right im pretty sure of it, i do have a belkin router which i read in infamous for being hard to forward ports to

11. mistycat

mistycat Active member

12. savingman

savingman Member

say i have a linksys wireless-g 2.4 broadband router and i want to make my nat open to play on my xbox 360. i try to login to my router by the default password and username doesn't work. is there a way i could find my username and password without restarding my router. or at least another way to open my nat. please replly asap!

13. savingman

savingman Member

note my linksys router is a WRT54G

14. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Just a note for all utorrent users that are having problems getting open ports for their torrents. I used to have this problem until i was introduced to Bitcomet. This program was told to me by my cousin and the best thing about this program it does the port forwarding automatically for you without worrying about the user configuring their routers. I recommend newbies to torrents to try this program out and even for the expert out there it makes life much easier.

Just my 2 Cents.

15. tex0gen

tex0gen Member

I would love some help setting up my router for creating a half life 2 server. I understand i need to forward ports 27015? I used the virtual server to forward the ports but it JUST WONT WORK!
    I have a Safecom samr 4114 with latest firmware. im not sure if i have a static i.p? all i know is i have 10.0.0.6 come up as my internal and my external i.p gets changed alot.

PLEASE PLEASE help. i know its a problem with my router as when i plug in my old voyager 105 i can host my server successfully. =[

16. mistycat

mistycat Active member

17. tex0gen

tex0gen Member

okay iv set one up./. nmy ip is now instead of 10.0.0.6, is now 10.0.0.346 or something smiliar. Anyway, I followed a guide on pfconfig or some website on how to open ports for my game and it STILL WONT WORK! No1 can connect to me. i know i have to give my external i.p address and correct port but it still says not responding? =[

18. legolass

legolass Member

Hi everyone.. i am new to this site and need some help... i am 66 so not very pc smart but i can understand a few things.... my problem is this... i have been using Gametap for 8 months with no problem.... from jan to sept last year.. then suddenly when i try to log in i get the "player" box saying it is starting then a message shows saying "Gametap cannot fetch the files from the server".. I have been in touch with the forums there... with well over 53 replies from their techs.... and they have had me send in game logs and told me to try several things.. which i have.. but with no success.. now they are asking me to go and open ports as they tell me i have connection problems.... i have done a port scan using hackerwatch.org and i have three ports (25, 80 and 139) which are completely invisible to the outside world.... I have a Dell Truemobile 1184 Wireless Broadband Router. I am on a Dell 6400 Inspiron laptop. what i do find is that now and then for some reason i lose connection and i end up with someone elses ip address and i have to go down into my basement (where the desktop and modem is situated) and unplug my wire from the router and replug it again to get my connection back. When i plug my laptop directly into the modem Gametap works fine... also.. a friend tried their laptop and had no problem getting it to work using my ip address. Any suggestions?

19. Game0ver

Game0ver Member

I need to turn on the voice chat on the Second Life program

i have to open
    * The following ports need to be reachable through any firewall infrastructure:
    o Port 21002 - TCP - for voice control signals
    o Ports 12000-13000 - UDP - for voice media
    o Port 80/443 - TCP - for Web server
    o Ports 5060 or 5062 - UDP - for voice control signals
    * Second Life also has voice servers at the following IPs (this list will grow over time):
    o 64.127.123.194 to 64.127.123.254
    o 64.147.180.130 to 64.147.180.142
    o 69.80.215.226
    o 64.127.112.106
    o 70.42.62.21-25

It's also true that if the SIP connection on port 5060 fails (as it might if the router is designed to provide VoIP services of its own) our software will automatically retry on port 5062. This means that port 5062 may need to be opened on some restrictive firewalls in rare instances.

My router is Siemens Gigaset SE568

Please I need Help !

20. mickarick

mickarick Member

Open bit tor then hit prefences they up the port range to 50505 and 56066 doubled my download speed.