1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUTORIAL: How To Open Ports and Forward them to your Router

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by tEChniiQue, Aug 19, 2005.

1. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@J-Kwon
    Are you just married to Bit Lord? Just asking because PortForward has your router's forwarding steps, just not for Bit Lord. I didn't see that program is anywhere on that site. I'd recommend Bit Tornado. Use the default ports listed for it and if that's not fast enough for you, I've got some extra ports that could aid in making it faster (thanks to one of the aD threads.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2005
  2. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

Just downloaded BitTornado 0.3.12 Experimental which ports should i try and open and forward?

Thanks J

3. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

For starters, go with 10000 thru 10004 TCP/UDP
    You could also use 65535 TCP/UDP and/or 17119 thru 17121 TCP/UDP

4. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

Thanks fella, No luck I'm afraid.

I went onto http://www.portforward.com and followed the instructions onto how to configure the ports of BitTornado!

Then followed the instructions on how to forward ports.

Then i went onto https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and it told me 10000-10004 were closed. They went from stealth to closed.

Im trying to download a well seeded game to see if bittornado gives good speeds but It's struggling to get out of the high 20s.

Thanks for your help so far.

I have already opened 65535 for Bitlord and that port is definitely open. I downloaded the same game at about 70 using Bitlord but it should be d/l around 200 considering how many seeds it had.

Thanks uniique1

5. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

That's odd because I have the ports 10000-10004 open ONLY and I have no issues at all. Did you try 17119 thru 17121 TCP/UDP?

6. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

no just 10000-10004 like it said on portforward. Im confuzed! what is your connection speed?

Thanks J

7. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Anywhere from 30kb to 300kb. Usually it sits around 100 or 120.

8. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

similar to me although i never get over 120KB/s do you download your torrents individually

9. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

It just depends but, yes, I have found better speeds by individual download. I tired to test it once between 4 downloads. They were all at about 50 or 60 kb. When I disabled 2 of the 4, 1 of the 2 remaining jumped from 54 to 109. I did it several times between the four and there was always some change benefiting the torrent I had left downloading. But who knows, I could try it again tomorrow and the results may be different. Nowadays, I don't use it that much but when/if I do...I'd say it's one at a time.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2005
  10. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

When you hit the 200-300 region what sort of file is it that you are d/l and how many seeds do you have.

I'm currently downloading at 92KB/s with 45 connected seeds and 60 connected peers. (1.37 gig file)

Does that sound about right to you?

cheers mate

11. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

That's not bad. You just have to remember that your internet connection and the source's, the other leechers, their connections, etc...all play a role in your download speed and it will probably never ever be exactly the same.

One thing that may be constant is your own personal FTP Server. But that's a whole 'nother topic.

12. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

Whats my own personal FTP Server?

Have you found any good private trackers, if so can you tell me about them :)

Thanks

13. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

No No No, Quadruple No...

Please keep the thread online with the title. I'd like to keep this thread from being closed. If you have Personal FTP Server questions please start another thread and PM me the link.

[bold]KEEP THIS THREAD ON THE SUBJECT...THANKS[/bold]

14. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

Oh yes uniique1,
    No luck with opening bittornado ports but bitlord is better than ever i opened port 65535 (it's listening port and i got this result) considering seeds and peers and health
    [​IMG]

Also anyone trying to improve your speed d/l one at a time and set your max upload to 20 :) I have obviously hit speeds over this, but under different circumstances.

Not bad from a decent tracker torrentbox!

It's really strange how i can only open certain ports, when i tried to open bittornado ports i ended up closing them instead of opening them. lol now their back to stealth. I'm sure my speeds will deteriate some time their bound to knowing my luck with torrents.

uniique1 if i upgrade to 2mb broadband will this noticeably improve my speed??

Thanks J

15. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

also uniique I noticed something

Connections Limit- 40-60 per task should i up that.

I have also got that lvlord patch to try and improve things.

But portforwarding is the main way to increase your speed right?

Thanks mate

16. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

It sure can't hurt it. If it's a move you plan on making, I'd do it.

The thing you mentioned about the "40-6o" task...it doesn't sound familiar but then again I don't use Bit Lord. Is it something that is prgram specific??

17. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

I'm unsure i just noticed it,
    [​IMG]
    Thanks

18. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

J-Kwon

It seems like you want me to give you a magic setting to make your torrent downloads go at blazing speeds. Turth is there is no such thing. What I've done (tried to do) with this tutorial is give you options to help you increase your download speeds. I really don't know of a more simple way to put it. I could just about guarantee that if you didn't open any ports (especially if you're using a router) that your dl speeds would be crap. But since you've opened ports, you must have noticed an increase. There is no way to know for sure that you'll will keep, let's 100kb/s, "everytime" you download a torrent. There are quite a few factors involved other than opening ports. Please understand that. I would think that would obvious if you've downloaded at least two torrents at the same time. One may be at 60kb/s and the other at 90kb/s at other time, they both may be over 100kb/s; that's just how it is.

19. J-Kwon

J-Kwon Regular member

I have a little guide of my own now see the link in my sig, been guided alot by the people at this site but google and trial and error have been my best friends, Anyone just starting off on BT see my link then refer back to uniique1's excellent port opening guide. Then you'll be off.

uniique11i still have another 4month of 1mb before i can upgrade anyways.

My guide http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/224989 enjoy, uniique1 you'll be an AD addict in no time

appy days! J

20. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

I checked it out..Nice Guide.

I hope what I did helped you at least a little bit. Thanks for the compliments on this guide and THANKS for the vote of confidence. *edit [bold]Members like U make sites like this, WORTHWHILE and worth the effort.[/bold]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2005