1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUTORIAL: How To Open Ports and Forward them to your Router

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by tEChniiQue, Aug 19, 2005.

1. xiaobao12

xiaobao12 Guest

hey uniique,

i like your guide a lot. i just have two questions:

i ran into NAT/firewall issues in azureus and i managed to fix that - it now says OK! when i do the test. does that mean everything is fine and i don't need to do anything with ports?

question 2 - i am connected to a dsl modem and that is it - no router. so do i consider my modem my router? i'll be able to complete part 1 of your guide but not part 2, correct?

thanks. we need ppl like you in the community.

xiaobao

2. xiaobao12

xiaobao12 Guest

hey uniique,

i like your guide a lot. i just have two questions:

i ran into NAT/firewall issues in azureus and i managed to fix that - it now says OK! when i do the test. does that mean everything is fine and i don't need to do anything with ports?

question 2 - i am connected to a dsl modem and that is it - no router. so do i consider my modem my router? i'll be able to complete part 1 of your guide but not part 2, correct?

thanks. we need ppl like you in the community.

xiaobao

3. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Thank you...I'm glad you like it and it was able to help. Just do me one favor o.k. Post this question in my tutorial's thread. If others have this issue, an answer will be posted for all to see. Once you post the question there, I'll post this answer as well. Now for your answers.

A router is there to allow you to hook up multiple computers to your internet connection. It plugs into your modem and usuallly has a minumum of four connections for internet access as well as a built in firewall. Having that built in firewall requires you to forward any ports needed open to your router. If you have no router then yes, you would only need to so the first part of the tutorial, open the ports need on your connection. JUST REMEMBER opening ports through your PC's firewall can increase your chance of becoming a victim of the internet (i.e. Trojan Horses).

NOTE: If I were you I'd edit one of your posts (double post) and put a note to the mods asking for removal of it or at least to excuse it. Double Posts are not allowed within the forum. Thanks.

4. kel3333

kel3333 Member

Hi uniique, can you help me configure my port forwarding?

I have a wireless router (d-link DI-624+).
    I have a broadband 1mb blueyonder setup.
    I use Soulseek & BitTornado for downloading.
    I am trying to increase or actually properly setup my ports so as to be able to download properly. It works at the moment but not as it should. For instance I'm only managing to download 1 track at a time in Soulseek. There is a page where you can check your router and port configuration which tells me that the required port 10094 tcp is closed.Im not sure which ports need to be open for BitTornado.

I have gone through (previously) the routine of creating a static IP address. But the tutorial that taught me to do that did not explain how to OPEN the actual required ports. This is when I stumbled upon this forum and your guide which has helped me a bit. But Im not sure that Im doing this correctly.
    Now you know my router specifics, can you guide me through this process of opening the neccessary ports and forwarding them?
    Any help much appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.junktion.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  5. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

BitTornado normly uses 10000-10004 (TCP & UDP)

This link will help you to forward ports for your particular router for use with BitTornado: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DI-624+/BitTornado.htm

Alternate or additional ports that can be used with BitTornado are:
    65535 TCP & UDP
    17119 TCP & UDP

I hope that helps you get your ports forwarded. If you have any more questions, please post.

6. kel3333

kel3333 Member

Okay,but just one question first. Assuming I have setup my static ip address correctly, is this where i can find it?

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/junktionist/7d1c252c.jpg

I need to clear this up first as the page you directed me to asks for my static ip and I remember that last time I entered this it didnt work.

7. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Yes:
    Right Click on the Local Area Connection->
    Click Properties->
    Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)->
    Select Properties->

There should be information below and "Use the following IP address"
    would have a check mark. Otherwise "Obtain an IP address automatically will be marked and the below information would be blank. If that's the case, you will need to allpy the correct info to set up a Static IP address.

This will guide you:
    http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm
    Just select your O/S and follow the directions.

8. kel3333

kel3333 Member

Well, like I stated, when I type in my STATIC IP address into the box provided on the PORTFORWARD site that you linked me to, nothing seems to happen. Im not sure what is supposed to happen, maybe a message stating that my STATIC IP address has been successfully forwarded to. Sorry to sound like such a numbnut, but I must be doing something wrong! I type in my static ip and press ENTER, the page then refreshes itself with the same content and empty box, which suggest to me that either my STATIC IP is incorrect, or it has worked but theres no acknowledgment that it has. I think the latter explanation cant be true, so my STATIC IP must be wrong... Do you know of a SIMPLER guide on howtosetup STATIC IP address 'cos I followed the one on the PORTFORWARD site and got this result...
    Thanks for your help.

9. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Which link are you referring to? The Static IP setup or the Port Forwarding tutorial? On the port forwarding, just input the info and scroll down to continue the tutorial. For the Static IP tutorial, just follow the tutorial. Maybe you can print it to make things a little easier, that site gives it to you as easy and as straight forward as I know it possible to be.

10. twig05

twig05 Member

ok i have a dlink DI-604 and i need to know how to network bridge so i can give my modder friend host every time plz tell me step by step how 2 thank you

11. kenetic

kenetic Member

Wondering if you might be able to point me in the right direction ive been using azureus for a while and am lucky to get download speeds greater than 2.5kb ive tried port forward etc i just tried to follow your step by step guide but have hit a snag i use norton personal firewall so when i try to open settings in the advanced section of network connections it tells me i cant open windows firewall ive tried disabling firewalls etc but nothing changes im using port 65535 and have set up a static ip address sorry if this is basic question i have tried everything i can think of cheers in advance

12. kenetic

kenetic Member

sorry should have added ive got a standard sagem f@st 800 e3 modem no router i think im missing something straight forward but cant put my finger on thanks again

13. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@kenetic
    Try allowing Azureus via your firewall.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2005
  14. kenetic

kenetic Member

sorry should have said yes tried that thanks for replying

15. strubdog

strubdog Member

Hey I got windows home edition (XP) I am having trouble following your guide is their one similar to yours but for windows xp home in mind.

16. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@strubdog
    What section is giving you problems?? I have XP Home on my laptops and the setup is the same.

If you post exact your issue, I'm sure it can be helped.

17. strubdog

strubdog Member

At the beginning when you go network connections, main internet is labeled network bridge and from then everything is different I can't find a firewall setting.

18. Noobiedoo

Noobiedoo Member

I did everything that you said in this guide, but i'm still downloading only 8KB/s. I opened all the ports and they all have checks by the names. Anything else I can do to make it go faster? By the way I have XP on the laptop.

19. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@strubdog
    If you don't need that bridge, get rid of it and then your screenshots should mimic what you see in the tutorial.

@Noobiedoo
    Yes. You've opened them now forward them to your router.

[bold]TO ALL !![/bold]
    You have to remember that opening and forwarding ports increases your chance of having good upload and download speeds. Another deciding factor is the source and seeders of file(s). You may have everything set up right but not get the results you want on a download. Also, some torrents take a little while to get going (downloading that is) you will have to experiment with your settings and various HEALTHY sources (heavy seeders) and see what works for you.

Don't expect to get 500kb/s 700kb/s upon starting a download, at least not everytime ;)

20. Noobiedoo

Noobiedoo Member

I am not using a router, so do i still have to forward it.