1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TUTORIAL: How To Open Ports and Forward them to your Router

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by tEChniiQue, Aug 19, 2005.

1. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@Noobiedoo
    Certainly not. If you don't have a router, you have nothing to forward them to. Other concerns would be (might be) opening your ports in your firewall and allowing whatever the program is you're using access through your firewall.

2. Noobiedoo

Noobiedoo Member

I opened all the reccommended ports as stated but and disabled all of my firewalls, but no increase. Does XP have any firewalls i dont know of and is there anyway to check to see if you successfully opened the needed ports? And does any reccommend Linux wireless router, or are there better ones out there. Thanks

3. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Service Pack 2 has a built-in firewall but if you opened ports in windows, that was the firewall you were allowing exceptions to.

As for router, of course there are plenty out there that may fit the needs of some and not others. I use a Linksys Wireless Router and I have no issues.

4. booody

booody Member

Hi tEChniiQue.
    here goes..

Im running on a toshiba centrino 1.6, which comes with a SP2. Belkin wireless router. Cable connection download speeds of up to 2Mbps (2,000Kbps) and upload speeds of up to 256Kbps (at least thats what my ISP says...)

Using Azureus as client, and opening port 65535 (previously using 16681). No NAT errors (Azureus NAT test). Green icons alwaz. Got Static IP (outside of original range) and Port forwarded. XP firewall diasbled. Using norton system premier. Configured program rule to allow java and Azureus. Configured general rule to allow port 65535. I got "OPEN" for ShieldsUP.

Downloaded the Lvllord's patch. I changed connection limit to 100.

This is my Transfer configuration:

global max upload speed: 40
    global max download speed: 0
    default max upload slots per torrent: 4
    maximum number of connections per torrent: 0
    maximum number of connections globally: 0

I refered to this: http://s90782290.onlinehome.us/?page_id=117

HOWEVER,

But when I use the link <http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl> to check, my results came back

"Attempting connect to: [bold]202.156.6.84[/bold]
    port 65535 Fail! Unable to connect. This likely means you need to adjust your port forwarding configuration, or there is no client running on that port."

One thing I notice, when at shieldsUP result page, it shows "it says Your computer at IP:

202.156.35.131 Is now being examined:

The IP address is different from the one I had in bold above. Should it be the same? I use portforward.com to setup my router. It was a step-by-step guide. So I dun think I did anything wrong there.

Well...tats about it. I'm always oni 25% of the swamp speed
    (10s to 20s).

Have to get it right!

thanks.

5. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@booody
    What's up ma? Let's see if we can't get this figured out...

That could be a few things that come to mind right off the bat.

Is you PC configured with a Static IP address? If not, that will need to be done. A sttic IP keeps your internal IP te same, always unlike DHCP which can often change (depending). What does that mean? Well, with a static IP, the ports you have forwarded to that static IP will stay with that IP. If you forward ports to an IP that was figured automatically, if and when that IP chages (automatically) you will have to reconfigure you forwarding because the ports forwarded are no longer aiming at the prior IP.

That port may not be a good port for you to use. It may work for other but is giving you problems on connecting.

Yout ISP may have certain ports blocked...I doubt if that's one but, you never know.

I don't use Azureus; does the program allow you to select a range of ports or is it just one?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2005
  6. booody

booody Member

hey hey!! whats up man...

Thanks for the quick attention. Yes, I have configured a static IP for my laptop. The other computer on my network is always off. So it doesn't really matter. As I'm using cable, my external IP can only be dynamic, only my internal IP can be static.

Azureus doesnt allow you to select a range of ports...only one listening port.

ANd yes, i I doubt that my ISP block that port...coz previously I'm using 16681 and its the same. I did try a couple others as well, such as 55535...etc.

Maybe another client? advice?

thanks again mate.
    *where u live anywaz?

7. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

I recommend using a client like BitTornado. maybe even Bit Comet. I would have suggested that earlier but I assumed that you'd want to use Azureus since it's what you asked about.

I would do that, select a range within the client you choose, open those ports in your firewall, forward those ports to your router and see what kind of luck you have.

8. booody

booody Member

hi technique!,

I'm trying out bitcomet now. Open a range of ports of 12440 to 12445. set listening port to 12242. speeds have been slightly better, in the 30s. But I still fail the btNAT test...:<

9. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Make sure you forward them to your router to increase you DL Speed capability. Remember, you will not always have blazing speeds. That is all dependent on your setup, the source's connections sharing the torrent and the amount of seeders as well as other things.

10. dakitt

dakitt Member

hi all,

Now im not new to bit torrent but considering i can see that most of you are having problems with speeds of high 20's with a 1 meg connection (mine is 3 meg) and im stuggling to get to 20, i thought i would seek advice.

I'm using bit comet 0.60 with a norton internet security 2004 firewall a belkin wireless router and no windows firewall has been turned off.

i have opened the port 7022 for which bit comet asks to opn on norton and on my router, this improved speeds a bit, but im generally getting speeds in the teens. which for a 3 meg connection i gather is not good.

can anyone help cos i really hate seeing the 99:99:99 hrs constantly.

Cheers guys if you need further info let me know.

11. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@dakitt
    You can try a different port. I don't using COmet, does it offer a range? If so, create and input your own range. Whether it is a range allowed or just a listening port, I don't recommend using the port(s)
    that is like the default for the client you're using. Pick a random port and see if your speeds improve.

12. dakitt

dakitt Member

well it has improved but not by much getting about 40 kbps now but not for long :-(

13. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

You've got to remember that different torrents may fluctuate throught the entire download...the sources or lack of are one of the major factors

14. fourmpub

fourmpub Member

no luck here
    i have a Belkin router model is F5D6231-4
    im trying to use azureus and im d/ling like 1kb/s
    also im getting NAT error
    plz pm me

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  15. bloedje

bloedje Member

Can't get online with PS2 > Pro Evolution 5. All other games are ok except this one.Router is a Sweex LB000021.I get connected but when it's teseting the networkenviroment it says:Unable to transmit UDPport 5730.You may need to connecxt directly to the internet or adjust your conection device ie routersettings etc. Assign DMZ, portmappping, configure NAT table and other router setting to the console.
    I'm a real noob with computers (that's why i got a PS2) so you need to be very clear in explaining (if you can)

16. RyuKazama

RyuKazama Member

Hi, I'm awfully stuck here.

I have a Netgear DG834GT wireless router, and I tried forwarding the ports 6881-6999, but I just can't get download speeds at an acceptable rate.

I'm with UKOnline on an 8MB connection and use BitTornado.

Please check the following link for an image:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Ryu_Kazama/router.jpg

I'm really stuck on what to do. The orb goes green, but I've rarely gotten my download to even 100k. Upload speeds have reached like 50k, sometimes more.

The NAT checker site also says "failed" so there must be something I've done wrong or something.

Please help out as it sucks to be on 8MB when torrent downloads are so low.

Thank you in advance.

17. Jcnasty

Jcnasty Guest

hi guys

I have windows xp pro sp2 i turn firewall off in services
    im using Bitcomet0.60
    i have a US Robotics Wireless Router 5641
    i really need some help im about to lose my mind

18. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@RyuKazama
    As for your issue; the first troubleshoot I'd recommend is to change the ports you are using. Using the default ports for torrent clients can sometimes give adverse effects. Ports 6881-6999 are default ports and may have been blocked by or even randomly scanned by your ISP for various reason. Make up your own port range, open it in your O/S firewall if needed, forward the port to your router and make sure Bit Tornado reflects the port changes. Then try and see what kind of results you get.

19. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@Jcnasty
    What kind of help? Obviously port forwarding but what specifically? Are you getting any errors. What program/software are you using to download, what ports are you using, make sure that those ports have been forwarded to your router. More info will be needed in order for any member to help you.

20. Jcnasty

Jcnasty Guest

my bad im getting low speeds with bit torrents. i have tried in the past to open ports but no success...

i Have BitComet 0.60
    the problem is i dont kno how to forward ports and when i try still no luck