1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

-=Tutorial=- what to do with files .r01, .r02, .001, .002 etc.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Kafluke, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

Ok so this question is yet again coming up and people don't want to search to figure it out so I decided to make this thread

If you have files that are numbered (they can have extensions like .001-.098 or .rar-.r01, .r02-.r45 etc.) then you have an iso that has been compressed and split in to multiple compressed files.

This is usually done using winrar. You can download and install winrar for free just google it.

After you have winrar installed you need to find the first file in the set. If your files have an extension that begin with "r" (like vortex-gmm.r01 etc) then the first file in the set will always be the file with the extension of ".rar". If you have a set that have extensions that are just numbers (like .001, .002, .003 etc) then the first file in the set is obviously ".001"

Once you find the first file in the set and after you have installed winrar, you simply use the right mouse button and drag that first file to a blank spot in the window. A menu will pop up when you let go of the right mouse button and ask you what you want to do. Select any of the extraction options that have the red stack of books icon of winrar next to them. Winrar will fire up and start rejoining the compressed files into an .iso file. If the extracted file has an extension of .wii then you have to unscramble the image using a wii image unscramber (google it). It will convert the .wii to a .iso and then you can burn that iso file using imgburn.

I suggest that you use imgburn for two major reasons. First, its free and second it is designed solely for burning images the right way. If you try and use nero (which is what I use) if you don't know what your doing you could end up just burning the iso to the disc rather than using the iso to actually image the disc. I see it all the time by noobs on here.

Sometimes (always if you use newsgroups) there are also .par files that are packaged with your download. These are software parity or software RAID files. They are there in case that you have a partial file or a corrupted file or are missing files. If you have enough pars (the file extensions for par files will always be .par or .par2) then you can rebuild the missing files and/or repair the corrupt rars. All you need to do is download "quickpar", a free program that you can easily find by googling. Once you have quickpar fully installed, it will associate all .par files with that program. Simply double click the .par file and it will first do a check to tell you whether your rar set needs to be repaired or not. If it does, you just hit the repair button and when it is all done then you can extract the rar's to your iso using winrar. This is something that is fairly new (within the last 7 years) and is a huge life saver in many situations.

If you have .001 and winrar won't work then try this and use the join option:

HJSplit 2.3

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  2. DraTs

DraTs Regular member

Good idea, but if these people wanted to read before they posted, they would already know all that, so they will still post "OMG what do i do with .r** files?!?!?!"

3. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

well thats the conundrum there isn't it. People don't want to read before asking so maybe this will get stickied and people will start to research a little before going crazy.

4. DraTs

DraTs Regular member

Yeah but most of the questions asked on here are already answered in the stickies lol. People don't read, then ask away.

5. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

yes we know but people don't want to search or read they want the answered handed to them

6. DraTs

DraTs Regular member

No no, trust me, I know that, and I am on your side completely, I am just saying that unfortunately, even if this got stickied, that people would still be asking. Anyhow, on another note, here's a free bump.

7. blazen92

blazen92 Regular member

What happens if you use other compressed files other than the first one?

and if i get one were r00 is first do i choose this over r01?

8. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

10. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

beauty

11. wts928

wts928 Member

Hi hope you lot might be able to help me.
    I have download a "Backup" but when I come to un zip to iso file I keep getting a diagnostic Message "the archive is either in unknown format or damaged"
    Help Me Boys
    Thanks Sue x

12. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

research par files. They are your friend

13. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

"stuck".

14. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

wts, what file is it which gives you that error, redownload that particular file - a log windows should pop up and say which file is damaged.

15. keypox

keypox Regular member

winrar doesnt always work with these files and you have to use 7 zip, which works perfect on the ones that winrar can't handle

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

17. Oxadillia

Oxadillia Guest

From my experience with software, it should automatically recognize this and (providing the entire archive is in the same folder) should account for it. However the same cannot be said for other programs...I was using stuffit 12 on a mac, and results may be different on Windows.

18. ps2_dude

ps2_dude Member

19. bancorat

bancorat Member

So guy what do you do with a .sfv file. Sometimes when you download a backedup game you have an .sfv file in it. What's the purpouse of that file??

20. ps2_dude

ps2_dude Member